Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Anne Whateley posted:

It was 36-24-36, not 26. Millennials are aware due to Sir Mix-a-Lot, no idea about gen z.

How can she lose with the stuff she use
Thirty-six, twenty-four, thirty-six oh what a winning hand

'Cause she's a brick house
She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
Ow, that lady stacked and that's a fact
Ain't holding nothing back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUei0LbFBcw

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

wesleywillis posted:

Only if she's 5'3"

Beat me to it.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Working on Jersey Boys, a DJ is doing an intro for one of The Four Season's new hit song, Sherry, and he say's something like, "This one goes out to all you Submarine Watchers out there!"

I half caught the line tonight, and it unlocked some ancient memory in my head. I remember my Grandmother telling me many years ago a story that mentioned "Going to watch the Submarine races". The part of New England I grew up in did actually have (abandoned) submarine watch towers, so I thought it was like, a thing? My father years later told me it was a euphemism for basically making out in a parked car.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Mister Kingdom posted:

How can she lose with the stuff she use
Thirty-six, twenty-four, thirty-six oh what a winning hand

'Cause she's a brick house
She's mighty-mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick house
Ow, that lady stacked and that's a fact
Ain't holding nothing back

Also happens to be the combination on Bart Simpson's school locker

Extra row of tits posted:

I had a very tech illiterate friend that was terrified she would break the computer somehow, costing millions to repair. After much cajoling and explaining there was nothing she could do to the computer that we could not fix, that it was effectively impossible for her to break one she agreed to go to a "PC for beginners" class.

She sat down, pushed the on button for the monitor as the tutor instructed and it blew up with a bang and huge puff of smoke.

Was her name Newton Pulsifer by any chance?

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 18, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Waaaay back in the days of AT PSUs it was possible to plug them into the motherboard offset-by-one-pin. Said board didn't work so well after that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Suddenly I'm flashing back to 20 years ago, using a disembodied ATX PSU to power things via the Molex plugs without a motherboard attached. To turn it on, you stick a bent paperclip into its connector plug, shorting the only green wire to any black wire.

A trick which, for all I know, may still work. (I've fallen so far out of hardware hacking it isn't even funny.)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

thrakkorzog posted:

I mean old TVs really just kind of worked by magic. I remember adjusting antennas and then as you stepped a foot away, losing all reception.

Hell, I had a buddy whose family had two TVs on top of each other. What had happened was that the TV on the bottom had died. Straight up wouldn't turn back on. So they called in a TV repairman who did all he could, but the TV was dead, need to buy a new TV. So they went a bought a newer smaller TV, and while putting that in the living room, they just put it on top of the old TV, which instantly caused the old TV to turn back on. So of course they figured, hey, loose wire and tried adjusting it thinking they could fix it, but nope. The only way the bottom TV worked was if the other smaller TV was on top of it. So they just rolled with it, and used it for gameday parties.

Dude's TV just needed a friend

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Emotional support TV.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Powered Descent posted:

Suddenly I'm flashing back to 20 years ago, using a disembodied ATX PSU to power things via the Molex plugs without a motherboard attached. To turn it on, you stick a bent paperclip into its connector plug, shorting the only green wire to any black wire.

A trick which, for all I know, may still work. (I've fallen so far out of hardware hacking it isn't even funny.)

Still works. I did it at the weekend to power a homemade foam cutter.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sweevo posted:

Still works. I did it at the weekend to power a homemade foam cutter.
ATX power supplies are dirt cheap and GREAT for whatever oddball thing you’re doing that needs 3.3, 5, or +/-12 volts.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

And now I'm suddenly wondering if the metric-using world had an equivalent expression that used centimeters. 90-60-90 would be the closest round numbers, I think.

e: Yup, google seems to confirm that that's a thing.
Yup, can confirm too.

As the dad joke goes: "90-60-90, and the other leg too"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

thrakkorzog posted:

I mean old TVs really just kind of worked by magic. I remember adjusting antennas and then as you stepped a foot away, losing all reception.

Hell, I had a buddy whose family had two TVs on top of each other. What had happened was that the TV on the bottom had died. Straight up wouldn't turn back on. So they called in a TV repairman who did all he could, but the TV was dead, need to buy a new TV. So they went a bought a newer smaller TV, and while putting that in the living room, they just put it on top of the old TV, which instantly caused the old TV to turn back on. So of course they figured, hey, loose wire and tried adjusting it thinking they could fix it, but nope. The only way the bottom TV worked was if the other smaller TV was on top of it. So they just rolled with it, and used it for gameday parties.

If your working television sits on top of your non-working television, you might be a redneck.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Also happens to be the combination on Bart Simpson's school locker

And the phone number to call if you need dirty deeds done dirty cheap.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
There's a line in Nelly's 'must be the money' where he says that her measurements are 36-25-34

The genius lyrics annotation for that line says "Nelly is describing his boo as a scalene triangle" and I find that very funny

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Splicer posted:

Me, a youth, "Huh, what does this switch at the back of the power thing dBANG oh right duh that makes sense"

*swaps it out for one of the half dozen spare PSUs I had lying around*

This one was a lot less dangerous in Europe.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

feedmegin posted:

This one was a lot less dangerous in Europe.
Given the amount of magic smoke this ejected into the fair skies of Ireland I'm now gleefully curious what happens in the US.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 18, 2022

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Power supply talk reminded me of this:

http://www.mdawson.net/vic20chrome/vic20.php

I immediately started typing "10 print " and shift-' brought up a square closing bracket. I only had the briefest thought of "Oh right, different keyboards" as I involuntarily pressed shift-2 to get the double-quote.

How the hell? I haven't touched Commodore keyboard in over 35 years.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ironhead posted:

Working on Jersey Boys, a DJ is doing an intro for one of The Four Season's new hit song, Sherry, and he say's something like, "This one goes out to all you Submarine Watchers out there!"

I half caught the line tonight, and it unlocked some ancient memory in my head. I remember my Grandmother telling me many years ago a story that mentioned "Going to watch the Submarine races". The part of New England I grew up in did actually have (abandoned) submarine watch towers, so I thought it was like, a thing? My father years later told me it was a euphemism for basically making out in a parked car.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ironhead posted:

I always heard they were called "submarine races" because the goal was to, ahem, go down as fast as possible. No idea if that's the authentic etymology, though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think the joke is that you park next to a body of water to make out, and when someone bangs on your window you say you're watching the submarine races (because submarines are under water) (and can't be seen).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think the joke is that you park next to a body of water to make out, and when someone bangs on your window you say you're watching the submarine races (because submarines are under water) (and can't be seen).

Well not with that attitude they can't.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe it's got something to do with "little man in a boat"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

My Lovely Horse posted:

Maybe it's got something to do with "little man in a boat"

nerds got that covered, he's an easy boss bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJkfwq8uoI

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Analytic Engine posted:

nerds got that covered, he's an easy boss bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGJkfwq8uoI
Bring a friend so the two of you can work your bone dudes nowhere near it followed by some perfunctory tag teaming + cleanup?

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Splicer posted:

Bring a friend so the two of you can work your bone dudes nowhere near it followed by some perfunctory tag teaming + cleanup?

Sounds like a plan, but TBH I've never had the heart to finish him off. To paraphrase Colonel Gathers:
mournful tibias

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Friend posted:

This is sort of a reverse of the thread in that it is old media that was probably fine back then but looks dumb now, but I'm watching The Ring and a character is searching the internet for information, and the url in the browser is shown several times to be "C:\WIN98\Desktop\search.com\horseshow.html"

There was a discussion in some thread (maybe it was this one?) that the average person is actually less aware of file directories nowadays than they were in previous years.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
It was maybe this article from September 2021. Although from my experience as a college student in basically the same cohort as the students in this article I didn't know anyone as clueless as the people they found. https://www.theverge.com/22684730/students-file-folder-directory-structure-education-gen-z

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Do you mean to imply that the morons in Jay Leno's Jaywalking segments weren't all that dumb, and some of them were handpicked and/or studio plants?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/shes_the_maNN1/status/1567268943659765768

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
POV: You're watching the meaning of the word POV change before your very eyes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Another one from the newspaper comic strip thread:

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales August 27, 1925

When you travel, your suitcase acquires large stickers featuring the names of the places you've been. (Made into a joke here, but the labels were obviously recognizable enough to base the joke on.)

So... what were those things anyway? If they were something like routing labels for checked bags, you'd think it'd be super confusing to leave them on after that leg of the trip, but world travelers always seem to have a bunch of them.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Powered Descent posted:

Another one from the newspaper comic strip thread:

When you travel, your suitcase acquires large stickers featuring the names of the places you've been. (Made into a joke here, but the labels were obviously recognizable enough to base the joke on.)

So... what were those things anyway? If they were something like routing labels for checked bags, you'd think it'd be super confusing to leave them on after that leg of the trip, but world travelers always seem to have a bunch of them.

You'd have your name, cabin on the ship, destination, sometimes address on them. A porter would be carrying your bag around.

See here for a good example. I've owned a suitcase that had the original owners information from his passage from the Netherlands to Canada still legible on it.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Whoa! I always thought that gag was just that you'd buy a sticker and slap it on your suitcase. I always wanted a hard-sided suitcase so I could do that

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Although ocean liners also put similar stickers on luggage, more often they were placed on the luggage by the hotels as a form of advertising, usually with the name of the hotel and the city or country where it was located.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The hotels also used to give out bag tags that you could put on the handle of your suitcase. You put your name and address on one side, and the hotel logo was on the other.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

MightyJoe36 posted:

The hotels also used to give out bag tags that you could put on the handle of your suitcase. You put your name and address on one side, and the hotel logo was on the other.

Some still do that, when I did an inclusive Disney Resort trip about 10 years ago they sent me a luggage tag with my ticket package. I used it for quite awhile, until my work gave me a fancy leather one as a travel gift.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

For some time in the eighties you'd go to a theme park and they'd slap a sticker on your car in the parking lot without asking. I don't know how normal that was, though I do remember noticing cars having more tourist destination stickers on them as a kid and then that falling out of fashion somehow. It angered my father greatly.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

MightyJoe36 posted:

In the days when international travel was mainly for the well-off, they'd often vacation for quite long periods and they tended to travel with a lot more luggage than we would today. So it was common to send Luggage In Advance - you (more accurately your servants...) would do all your packing and then that luggage would be sent a few days ahead of you so it would be at your hotel when you arrived, so you only had to actually travel with a smaller suitcase or trunk for your journey.

As well as your luggage attracting various labels from the courier/railway/shipping lines that carried it to your destination, it was common for hotels to slap a sticker or label on each item of luggage as it arrived as proof of receipt and to record who owned what piece, which room it was to go to and on which date. Those labels were often very colourful bits of advertising in their own right.

If you were dispatching luggage for a sea journey you could also designate items as 'wanted on voyage' so they'd be in your cabin when you boarded rather than in the baggage hold. Which was an opportunity for another set of labels, again often used as an advertising medium for the shipping line.

And human nature being what it always is, right from the start of practical international travel in the 19th century people have liked to collect labels as a record of where they've been, what hotels they stayed at and which ships and trains they've travelled on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

For some time in the eighties you'd go to a theme park and they'd slap a sticker on your car in the parking lot without asking. I don't know how normal that was, though I do remember noticing cars having more tourist destination stickers on them as a kid and then that falling out of fashion somehow. It angered my father greatly.

Oh yeah In the 70's-80's cheap roadside tourist attractions would put cardboard placards on the front bumper of visiting cars (back when cars had actual bumpers on the front) so as they drove away vehicles approaching in the opposite direction would see them.
I remember driving up the California coast as a kid and seeing all the cars coming towards us with "Trees of Mystery", "Mystery Spot" and "Seal Caverns" placards on their front bumpers.