Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I can’t take that guy seriously since I saw that a photo of him in a Subway with an AR‐15.

Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Is that an actual AR-15 or is it an "OMG BLACK GUN MUST BE AR-15"!!!

I'm a gun weirdo, but not down with the latest tactical army man stuff

That's definitely an assault rifle 15 with a big clip on it. Probably has lots of shells. I bet the shells still have the casings on them when they're fired out of the assault rifle gun.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

That's definitely an assault rifle 15 with a big clip on it. Probably has lots of shells. I bet the shells still have the casings on them when they're fired out of the assault rifle gun.

Can we be sure it’s not an automatic machine gun?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Realizing that even the C-SPAM "Trump! *click*" would be lost on modern audiences because smartphones don't make an click audible to the other person when you hang up

similarly, the idea of hearing a dial tone after being hung up on

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

carry on then posted:

That was always rare. It happened in only select geographic areas, but one of those areas happened to be Hollywood.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

carry on then posted:

Did phones ever do that? I thought that was a TV invention and landlines either had silence or a different sound after a remote hang-up

e: beaten

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
I recall that, after a call ended, eventually the dial tone would sound, followed by the "if you'd like to make a call" message. However, it's been 17 years since I had a landline, so I might not recall correctly.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
https://youtu.be/bUIiUXvnkUQ

Tom Scott to the rescue!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

OMG I HEARD ABOUT THEM, THEY CAN FIRE LIKE 300040994 ROUNDS PER MINUTE!!

Does this mean his dick is measured in fractions of microns?

What if this was a woman open carrying? Would her vagina be measured in shipping containers, or parsecs?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

OMG I HEARD ABOUT THEM, THEY CAN FIRE LIKE 300040994 ROUNDS PER MINUTE!!

Does this mean his dick is measured in fractions of microns?

What if this was a woman open carrying? Would her vagina be measured in shipping containers, or parsecs?

it would mean she is in congress

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Barn-megaparsecs

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I can’t take that guy seriously since I saw that a photo of him in a Subway with an AR‐15.

Yikes. I had no idea

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Platystemon posted:

Barn-megaparsecs

Only if she's more than 18 lighyears old!

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Cobalt-60 posted:

I recall that, after a call ended, eventually the dial tone would sound, followed by the "if you'd like to make a call" message. However, it's been 17 years since I had a landline, so I might not recall correctly.

Yeah, I remember there would be a click, then silence, then after a few seconds the dial tone would sound again.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I was watching Batman TAS and there's an episode where Ras Al Ghul kidnaps someone, but leaves behind a cassette tape for him to listen to about a story from the old west. This reminded me of another episode in the same show where the villain leaves a tape behind where he explains his plan of how he's going to trap & kill Batman.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Vietnamwees posted:

Batman

from the old west.

drat!, I just watch the movie The Outlaws Is Comin', which is a Three Stooges movie, that also stars Adam West, the REAL Batman.

E: Also, the movie is a western.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 17, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They got West back to voice Batman in two of the recent animated movies, 'The Return of the Caped Crusader' and 'Batman vs Two Face'. He also did the voice of The Gray Ghost in TAS. I always appreciated that he embraced his typecasting like Mark Hamill and didn't try to run from it like, say, some of the Star Trek actors. Sure people only love you for one thing, but they love you. How many artists go through life not being known or appreciated for anything at all?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCkmUS1IYI

e: The ringing phone sound was post production.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 17, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Imagined posted:

They got West back to voice Batman in two of the recent animated movies, 'The Return of the Caped Crusader' and 'Batman vs Two Face'. He also did the voice of The Gray Ghost in TAS. I always appreciated that he embraced his typecasting like Mark Hamill and didn't try to run from it like, say, some of the Star Trek actors. Sure people only love you for one thing, but they love you. How many artists go through life not being known or appreciated for anything at all?

Hell yeah, Adam West fuckin rules.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Hell yeah, Adam West fuckin rules.

That episode of TAS was pretty loving meta, and super on-the-nose for Adam West. It's a testament to his character that he was willing to do it.

quote:

The Gray Ghost, played by actor Simon Trent, was a fictional television hero from Bruce Wayne's childhood. Before his parents' death, Bruce often watched The Gray Ghost on television with his father. The dynamic costumed vigilante helped shape the vigilante persona Bruce Wayne adopted later in his life, the cape and cowl of the Dark Knight.

Decades later, however, Simon Trent was little more than a washed up, typecast actor. Unable to pay his rent, he slowly sold his Gray Ghost memorabilia to cover the bills. Frustrated with his life, he regretted his decision to ever play The Gray Ghost, destroying the few pieces of the collection he had left. However, fate, chance or perhaps just very careful planning brought Batman into contact with Trent. Though he was investigating a bombing spree similar to one depicted in The Gray Ghost, Batman revealed to Trent the importance and influence the character had on him in his early years. Upon hearing that, Trent loaned Batman his own personal archival print of "The Mad Bomber" to help Batman crack the case.

Trent realized the worthiness of his role as the Gray Ghost after seeing the Batman's personal collection of Gray Ghost merchandise and he was glad that what he had done had a positive influence. Trent redeemed himself, donning The Gray Ghost persona once more, and aided Batman in unraveling the mystery of The Mad Bomber. The Bomber turned out to be a toy collector who used Trent's memorabilia to re-enact an episode of The Gray Ghost.

Shortly thereafter, a major home video release of the long lost TV series was made from Trent's personal archival film collection, likely making him a very wealthy man. During a public video signing (in costume), Bruce Wayne acquired Trent's autograph and subtly revealed to his hero his own secret identity, which pleased Trent to no end. It is assumed Trent kept the secret to himself.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There’s a small sliver of a generation that doesn’t know Adam West from Batman, but does know him from The Adventures of Pete and Pete.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Krispy Wafer posted:

There’s a small sliver of a generation that doesn’t know Adam West from Batman, but does know him from The Adventures of Pete and Pete.

I imagine there's a generation that assumes he was a Family Guy character and not a real person.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Jokes where some person who has faded into obscurity is on the back of milk carton.

Also libraries being tomb silent doesn't seem to be a thing anymore.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If libraries aren't dead silent and make you feel bad for even breathing than you're going to the wrong libraries

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FreudianSlippers posted:

If libraries aren't dead silent and make you feel bad for even breathing than you're going to the wrong libraries

Sir, this is a Wendy’s drive thru.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In 2021 I'm p sure actual physical libraries are where homeless people and poor latchkey kids browse the internet. Everyone else uses overdrive/libby or doesn't use the library at all.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Imagined posted:

In 2021 2005 I'm p sure actual physical libraries are where homeless people and poor latchkey kids browse the internet. Everyone else uses overdrive/libby or doesn't use the library at all.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Imagined posted:

In 2021 I'm p sure actual physical libraries are where homeless people and poor latchkey kids browse the internet. Everyone else uses overdrive/libby or doesn't use the library at all.

also luddites who need someplace to get physical disc movies from now that all the video stores are closed

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's still a some information that's only available in physical books.

Especially for obscure or niche academic subjects.

Like you might be able to find a reference to something online but if you wanna read more you need to either buy some absurdly expensive textbook on the subject or find one in the library. (Or torrent a pdf of it)

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The_Franz posted:

also luddites who need someplace to get physical disc movies from now that all the video stores are closed

I still see a couple of Red Box machines around here also.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

(Or torrent a pdf of it)
Which then may not be the most current edition or the exact edition you're looking for.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

The_Franz posted:

Don't forget about Videogames. You can borrow those too. I used to get them there all the time before Covid.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Parents of small children also need physical books from the library. gently caress if I'm gonna buy 10 books about potties that I will only need for a couple of months. Also it's especially nice that the loving book about the rabbit is no longer available so we can't read it 10 times today.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

BonHair posted:

Parents of small children also need physical books from the library. gently caress if I'm gonna buy 10 books about potties that I will only need for a couple of months. Also it's especially nice that the loving book about the rabbit is no longer available so we can't read it 10 times today.

:same:. My son has a much larger library than I do and we still need to hit up the library all the time for books.

Protip: get children's books from the thrift store

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Get lots of poo poo from the thrift store.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Get lots of poo poo from the thrift store.
the attic (goodwill overflow) in Seattle was bought and turned in to luxury condos, Macklemores advice now lives only in song

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The libraries near here seem to double as public spaces for events, meetings, voting, etc. Maybe they always did that, but when I worked at shelving books at a smaller location in High School it was pure books and only books (internet wasn't really a thing yet). Now the only new libraries I ever see being built are bigger regional ones, so maybe they're moving more towards that format. One stop shopping for many of your local government needs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Probably a mix of both, in that libraries are actively moving towards becoming community centers/event spaces/similar in recent years, because being a book depository first and foremost doesn't cut it anymore, but also in that a smaller branch would focus more on the books and leave the events and such to the main branch.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the only time i've been to the library in the past 5 years or so was to do first aid classes

i'm about to move in a block or two away from one tho and that might overcome the inertia of not wanting to bother going to a place for books when the internet exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I went to a library recently to read annals and court records from the 17th century for fun.

And also as research for a thing but mostly for fun

For some reason none of that has been digitised and exists solely as these huge bound tomes in the reference library section.