Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gaius Marius posted:

Lol just walk out the auto shop door.

I never had the drunk driving ads at my school. But in elementary we had to escape a burning house which was dope

Our high school ditched its driver's ed class because a student wrecked the only car.

In other ridiculous American school news:

The main takeaway I got from my middle-school health class (boys & girls took separate classes) was to not have sex because your dick would rot off. To emphasize this, we were shown graphic color slides of syphilitic penises.

We had no such required classes in high school so the best advice I got was from a PE coach: "Don't put your dick where your mouth hasn't been first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's crazy how sex negative most peoples sex ed was, I grew up in a real deep red bible belt state and we had a fully comprehensive one starting in Elementary.

Mister Kingdom posted:

was from a PE coach: "Don't put your dick where your mouth hasn't been first."
This is great advice though

Anyways if were talking about things that'll make Euros lose their mind, my school only did away with it's Marskmanship class two years before I attended, they moved it to a park and held signups in the lunchroom. We did still have Archery though

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Arivia posted:

what the absolute loving hell did they put you through in american school

no wonder active shooter drills don't faze you, with all this poo poo to get you primed first

When I was a kid our elementary school was built on a huge fallout shelter, and they still had regular duck and cover drills. They explained to 6 year old me that when the commies started dropping bombs that we'd all have to hide under our desks and then file through the big airlock doors to survive the nuclear apocalypse.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Gaius Marius posted:

It's crazy how sex negative most peoples sex ed was, I grew up in a real deep red bible belt state and we had a fully comprehensive one starting in Elementary.

I remember being shown a movie in junior high 'health and hygiene' class whose moral was "hookers won't kiss you".

(There was also something in there about being addicted to prescription medication. The audio was terrible, so I'm not entirely sure what the connection was - possibly something about negligent parents.)

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

my school only did away with it's Marskmanship class two years before I attended

Ours had riflery in regular gym classes up though my senior year (1992). They used the weight room for the football team for it-- a big, long, dark room underneath the pool. They did it until they made a pacifist hippie chick take it and out of revenge she shot at the ceiling instead of the targets. She took out the bottom of the pool and the whole thing emptied out into the rifle range. She didn't get into a lick of trouble either, because her dad was a teacher at our school.

Getting back to retro media references, I have seen a lot of references to school film strips (such as the cassette tape narration with beeps to tell you when to change frames) from many decades after they stopped being a thing. I guess schools used them well after they were made-- they were certainly a staple well into the 90s.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

She took out the bottom of the pool and the whole thing emptied out into the rifle range. She didn't get into a lick of trouble either, because her dad was a teacher at our school.

This rules

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It sounds to me like she had a point and made it well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Cobalt-60 posted:

My school had a graduating class of 17 and we were taught that the earth was 6000 years old and your schools seem like the weird ones.

Did we do high school together? Please don't say this was near Tyabb.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Speaking of assemblies, did anyone else have the “oh no everyone needs to report out to the football field immediately” one where there’s be a wrecked car, the SRO, and a couple of the drama kids pretending to be dead and their parents standing around screaming because supposedly, the kids had crashed their car due to drunk driving, and then the cop would be like “THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU TOO IF YOU DRIVE DRUNK” before everyone stands up and bows?

Sup buddy, I had the same stupid poo poo happen to me in High School. :hfive:

We too had RALLY DAY as well. I was on the goddamn football team and the football team was mediocre as hell. Freshmen and JV years were fun as gently caress because we absolutely crushed competition. Then I got onto Varsity and realized that my school was a small minnow in a pool of schools that regularly produced top tier NFL draft picks later on. Football games were way more fun when I attended them as a freshman/JV (our games were the day before) than they were when I was out there getting the absolute poo poo kicked out of me.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Arivia posted:

no wonder active shooter drills don't faze you, with all this poo poo to get you primed first

Oh, this was back in the days before active shooter drills. We only had drills for fires and earthquakes (I lived in California). It's devastating to me that anyone who went through school after me had to deal with gunfire being a real threat, and having to try to prepare for it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I never had the drunk driving ads at my school. But in elementary we had to escape a burning house which was dope

Yeah the fire house was great.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arivia posted:

I mean we had to evacuate (according to the fire drill) because of an IRA bomb threat (probably just a pissed off kid) in 1990 or so.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I have seen a lot of references to school film strips (such as the cassette tape narration with beeps to tell you when to change frames) from many decades after they stopped being a thing. I guess schools used them well after they were made-- they were certainly a staple well into the 90s.

My elementary school had a bunch of those. They weren't used in class though. They had a couple of booths set up in the library and students could watch them in their spare time. I think it was just a matter of "We've got them, might as well do something with them".

feedmegin posted:

I mean we had to evacuate (according to the fire drill) because of an IRA bomb threat (probably just a pissed off kid) in 1990 or so.

We had one bomb threat a year, every year in high school. They made everyone go to the gym, and wait until the police cleared the hallway containing your locker before you could go home. Also probably just some pissed off kid, there were never any real bombs.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 16, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Niece and nephew graduating high school this month brought to mind another reference lost on modern audiences: Who's Who Among American High School Students. The Simpsons nailed what this scam was 25 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBX7hmtW3ig

My grandmother still got suckered into buying this thing because my name was in it, and it was seriously just a volume of densely packed, small font names of kids whose family were suckers.

Wikipedia says it's officially bankrupt now, so I have no doubt there are kids nowadays who wouldn't even recognize a reference to it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blue Moonlight posted:

Speaking of assemblies, did anyone else have the “oh no everyone needs to report out to the football field immediately” one where there’s be a wrecked car, the SRO, and a couple of the drama kids pretending to be dead and their parents standing around screaming because supposedly, the kids had crashed their car due to drunk driving, and then the cop would be like “THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU TOO IF YOU DRIVE DRUNK” before everyone stands up and bows?

We had the golf cart with goggles to gently caress up your vision to simulate driving drunk in health class.

Someone did a real bad job and drove the cart into the crowd of waiting students and then they stopped doing that.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yeah, that's one of those things where the best possible example is also the worst possible outcome.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The local high school here still has a rifle club. They solved most of the stupid risks by using air rifles. They could still shoot an eye out I suppose.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

JnnyThndrs posted:

I doubt anybody but Genesplicer and dee eight will remember this, but there was a very famous pantyhose commercial in the early 1970’s where you start by only see the feet and calves of a person wearing pantyhose - legs are pretty shapely - and the camera pans up from the feet to the head and it’s famous quarterback Joe Namath.

He took a ton of crap for that ad, and rumor was that defensive linemen were extra-brutal when tackling/sacking him after the ad aired.

Edit: https://youtu.be/_BCWvH2ISyI

In the video comments they say that this was a scandal back in the day.

Reaction today would probably be mild amusement or annoyed grunt. At least some things are better than they used to be.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

We had the golf cart with goggles to gently caress up your vision to simulate driving drunk in health class.

Someone did a real bad job and drove the cart into the crowd of waiting students and then they stopped doing that.

Oh my god, the drunk driving car.

Ours was an actual car, and instead of goggles, it somehow had the controls rigged up with a time delay. So turn the wheel or step on the brake, and it actually happens like a second afterward. (I'm pretty sure there was a supervisor in the passenger seat with non-hosed-up controls, for obvious reasons.) I would have been interested to see how they engineered that, but I guess it wasn't really the focus.

Anyway, the school rented this thing and hauled all of us out to the parking lot where there was a big course marked out with orange cones, and we were invited to try it out. And when I say "we" were invited, I mean ten or twelve students out of the couple thousand of us actually got the chance to try it -- it was only an hour-long assembly, after all. The rest of us stood around and made jokes about what it would be like to drive the drunk driving car while drunk.

And we also got to see a pattern. The first few people tried to drive normally, and knocked down lots of cones. But the people toward the end of the line had been watching, and talking to the people who'd gone before. And they figured out what the car was doing, and how to compensate (i.e. give it the control inputs early). And they did surprisingly well. One or two got even through it without touching a single cone.

Somehow I don't think "just be careful and smart when driving drunk and you'll do fine" was quite the message they had hoped to impart.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You guys seemed to be able to leave school because yours weren't child prisons. In my high school you couldn't be in the halls during class time without a pass visibly displayed. Cameras watched the major exits. The smaller exits were locked, even though this was definitely dangerous. Our lunchroom had doors to the outside that were locked and the interior doors had staff at each one to make sure you didn't leave. If you had to go to the bathroom during lunch, tough poo poo, lunch is only 25 minutes, figure it out. There was parking for older kids who wanted to drive but the lot had one way in and one way out and there were gates which were shut during school hours. There were semi-routine lockdowns where the alarm would go off in class and then no one would be allowed to leave for any reason while administrators wandered the halls with cops searching random lockers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 16, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s worse than a minimum-security prison.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
they didn't install metal detectors and cameras until our class graduated. before then, you could literally just walk out of any of the exits. we had id cards to swipe around senior year.

though, if you left the school before age 18, truancy went around the neighborhood searching for groups of kids and rounding us up in nypd vans, driving us the 2-3 blocks from the usual hangouts, back to the school

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ours had riflery in regular gym classes up though my senior year (1992). They used the weight room for the football team for it-- a big, long, dark room underneath the pool. They did it until they made a pacifist hippie chick take it and out of revenge she shot at the ceiling instead of the targets. She took out the bottom of the pool and the whole thing emptied out into the rifle range. She didn't get into a lick of trouble either, because her dad was a teacher at our school.

Getting back to retro media references, I have seen a lot of references to school film strips (such as the cassette tape narration with beeps to tell you when to change frames) from many decades after they stopped being a thing. I guess schools used them well after they were made-- they were certainly a staple well into the 90s.
This wouldn't have happened if the ceiling had a gun.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I remember doing this and the fake smoke or whatever made me queasy and I vomited all over the hallway that you were supposed to crawl through on your hands and knees and I was too embarrassed to tell anyone at the time. Sorry to whoever was behind me!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fish of hemp posted:

America, are you all right?

Stories from my time teaching high school:

1. A student brought a gun to school and dumped it in the bushes outside since it wasn't for shooting up the school, but to protect themselves from gang violence on the way home. The school found out about it at the end of the year but it was happening since fall. Of course nothing ended up happening because the American justice system would punish that kid instead of giving them the help they need.

2. One of my smartest students only passed my class because they came to my room during lunch to finish the work they missed. They had my class 1st period and never came since they were always out late being their gang's enforcer.

3. My top student dropped out the next year because they got too involved in their gang.

On the bright side the only outwardly homophobic student in the school got made fun of for being homophobic (he was the aforementioned enforcer)

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 16, 2021

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The scenario brings up a lot of questions about what the bottom of the pool was made of, what kind of rifle, and my apparent ignorance on the penetrating ability of a bullet shot from a rifle.

But for the idea of any kind of activity room below a pool, I'm at a loss as to how it could ever have been approved for use.

In America, no answer would surprise me.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Cheesus posted:

The scenario brings up a lot of questions about what the bottom of the pool was made of, what kind of rifle, and my apparent ignorance on the penetrating ability of a bullet shot from a rifle.

But for the idea of any kind of activity room below a pool, I'm at a loss as to how it could ever have been approved for use.

In America, no answer would surprise me.

Yeah I don't see how this could have happened, maybe it was a rumor that went through the school after there were unrelated structural problems or something.

I'm busting up a pool right now and the bottom is ~6 inches of vermiculite, which is softer than concrete but still pretty strong. Even if they went super thin and had a 3 inch pool bottom I don't see a rifle bullet going through that. Plus she'd be shooting at an angle.

Even if it penetrated you'd get a small leak. A pool would take months to drain through a hole that size.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
A rifle in use at an indoor range would likely be a .22LR as well, that’s not something with a lot of penetrating power.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Though, literally any water leaking from a ceiling under a pool would be almost instantly enhanced in retellings to "drained the pool", even if it was just nicked an unrelated pipe.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My high school never did the Drunk Driving stuff but we did have an Anti-Drug presentation which used the first 45 minutes of Requiem For A Dream*. This was a Catholic school and I was fourteen and that poo poo hosed me up kinda forever.

*(I don't know what precise cut of the movie was used, it ended with everyone in prison and a dude got his arm amputated, and they cut out the sex and I think it didn't have the lady on diet pills)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
When I was in elementary school some guys dressed like cowboys came to teach us about gun safety. Which of course just taught us how cool guns were.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Bucnasti posted:

When I was in elementary school some guys dressed like cowboys came to teach us about gun safety. Which of course just taught us how cool guns were.

You can think guns are cool and be safe with them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Towns in the old west had more gun control than most of modern America.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Is DARE still as hilariously tone-deaf and pointless?

Cobalt-60 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on May 17, 2021

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
We didn’t have DARE at my school. They were much more concerned about us smoking. Not pot, just regular cigarettes. We even had a stupid song about being the smoke-free class of 2000, two triple zero, everyone’s a hero. DARE would have made much more sense, as I know some of my classmates had drug problems later. Turns out if you’re rich and your daddy’s a slum lord, it’s really easy to get drugs.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cobalt-60 posted:

Is DARE still as hilariously tone-deaf and pointless?

We had both DARE and GREAT (Gang Resistance Education And Training), the latter being DARE except all the depicted drug dealers were black.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Platystemon posted:

That’s worse than a minimum-security prison.

It was only in my 20's listening to people talk about their high schools that I realized how oppressive mine really was.

We had four minutes to go from class to class and that was absolutely enforced, no exceptions for sob stories about how you had to get to your locker. People with out of the way lockers were unlucky because they had to carry around all their books for all their classes all day long. Backpacks or any bag other than a small lady's bag were not allowed in any classroom. You simply had to carry your stuff in your hands.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Fish of hemp posted:

In the video comments they say that this was a scandal back in the day.

Reaction today would probably be mild amusement or annoyed grunt. At least some things are better than they used to be.

A ton of people were up in arms about it, yeah, it was a Big Deal.

I never saw it on TV at the time because I was only like 4 or 5, but my dad thought it was funny. He was young at the time and fairly progressive for a football fan, though.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Domus posted:

We even had a stupid song about being the smoke-free class of 2000, two triple zero, everyone’s a hero.

:hfive: I remember that song from elementary school, too! I'd forgotten those next two pieces of the lyrics until just now.. We had both this module and DARE. (Fun fact,, I was in the elementary school's class of 1998, but the junior high school's class of 2000.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I sang the smoke free class of 2000 in elementary school as well. I did graduate high school in 2000. Nice to see they recycled it for younger students too.