Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Well Europe sure gave us a crackerjack bunch of chucklefucks to start the party about 500 years ago, didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A child being allowed to play outside by himself and wander the neighborhood without a tracking device attached to him or a helicopter parent ten feet away at all times? A nuclear family where the middle class dad works only one job, is home on the weekends, and makes enough money for the mom to stay at home? An imaginative and rambunctious boy not being medicated into a drooling automaton?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Did... did we just turn into Boomers?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Simpsons Meme thread yesterday was talking about Bill Saluga, a comedian who was big in the 70s with a character named Ray Jay Johnson. I didn't get that reference on the Simpsons in the 90s (or until like, last week, when I googled it), so I KNOW anybody under 40 doesn't get that reference.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I watched a pro loving click on YouTube the other day with a delightful old guy from the British Museum who deciphered the oldest known rulebook for a board game, the Royal Game of Ur, which was played almost 5,000 years ago. In the video this utterly charming old guy teaches another young guy how to play the game with him.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 15, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

As late as last year, I was still writing a check every two months for my water bill. My local water company had online payments, but they charged a goddamn processing fee to use it, and not a small one: like $1.50 or something? So I mailed them checks, which only cost a stamp, as a form of protest. I figure it probably cost them more to process checks. They finally set something up to let me do an autopay option without a fee, and that was the last check I wrote.

This poo poo is so stupid. My agency charges a ridiculous processing fee to make credit card payments, like $4 + 1% or something, and I rant and rave at every meeting we have even tangentially related to the subject at all. Like, these loving idiots can't get it through their heads that we should eat that poo poo because people paying that way SAVE US MONEY. Every payment we take online is someone we're not paying to open mail, deposit checks, route it to the right department, not to mention saving literal days worth of processing time. Do you idiots want money today or three days from now? But this smooth brain generation are gonna have to die before we can do things properly.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Almost every major city has SOME method of naming its streets that clues you into the cardinal directions if you know how it works.

For example, in my city only longitudinal streets are numbered, for example, NE 23rd, except for a street that's effectively "zero" street. North of zero street, all the numbered streets are "north x" and south of zero street, they're all "south x".

So right there you have all the clues you need at any time to know what direction you're going. If you're coming up to NE 10th and the next intersection is NE 11th, you know you're going north. If you know you're going north, then you know the east is always on your right, etc.

Almost every big city has some kind of system like this. Don't @ me every exception. Boston... ugh.

I used to be a clerk at 7-Eleven pre-smartphones and I loving hated giving directions to people who couldn't do cardinal directions. It doesn't require you to know where the sun is to know what direction you're going. If you can remember how the directions relate to each other, and you know which direction you started out going in, you should just... know. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 2, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Scudworth posted:

If I'm at the point of asking directions at a gas station, you can be assured I no longer know where north is

Except the guy you're asking just pointed down the street and said "Go west on 10th, which is THAT WAY", so now you know. And then he watched you go the exact opposite way as you turned out of the parking lot. :negative:

HopperUK posted:

Almost every American city maybe! You'd have a bad time navigating London that way. :) Though really I mean every new city, cause you can do a trick like that in Milton Keynes.

Fair enough. Almost every city which mostly developed since the invention of the car, at least.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 3, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

lignicolos posted:

We always learned Never Eat Soggy Waffles. I think I like worms better though!

It was 'never eat sour watermelons' when I was in Scouts.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My 2016 VW has keyholes even though it has keyless entry, they're just hidden beneath removable plastic covers so it looks like it doesn't have any.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Scudworth posted:

One of the more misinterpreted songs of all time, word was that "Turning Japanese" refers to the Asian facial features people get at the moment of climax during masturbation. In a VH1 True Spin special, they asked The Vapors about this song, and they explained that it is a love song about someone who lost their girlfriend and was going slowly crazy. Lead singer Dave Fenton said: "Turning Japanese is all the clichés about angst and youth and turning into something you didn't expect to." It was inspired by Fenton's relationship problems.

The problem with all the alternative explanations is that "turning Japanese" as a euphemism for 'going crazy' (or anything else plausible) doesn't really sound less dumb or problematic than the sex metaphor of playground rumor. They should just come out and say, "It was just a dumb joke, and we know it's dumb, we were young and stupid, please stop asking."

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One thing I'm always reminded of when I catch old commercial breaks from the 90s is what a huge deal long distance calling cards were. There's like 4 nested concepts you'd have to explain to any kid born this century before they got it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You know how there's always been that joke about, "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't there?" I think I would almost say, "If you think the past was better, you don't remember it."

Almost everything that sucks about today was true then, too, we just didn't know about it because we were young and weren't terminally online, and so many other things are so much loving better it's unreal.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

As a fifth dimensional being, time cube is very comprehensible and the closest humanity has gotten to the truth.

I thought that was Doug Forcett?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I graduated in 1998. I told my parents multiple times not to buy me a class ring, that I wouldn't wear it, didn't want it, didn't care about it, didn't want to remember high school, etc. They thought I would regret it or change my mind someday, and bought it anyway. 23 years later I can say that I was right, and I have no idea where it even is. I cannot even imagine a bitch so basic they would wear a high school class ring after graduation. In my experience the only people who are proud of what they did in high school or remember the actual school experience fondly are the people who peaked in high school. For everyone else, high school was at best an ambivalent experience and at worst the nadir of their adult lives from which everything afterward represented an improvement.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

I still have my yearbook from Basic Training in 1981. I don't have my high school yearbook.

drat dude, more like MightyJoe66. :corsair:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

Never heard of high school rings. Only ever heard of rings for snobby-rear end colleges, and that was mainly for showing off/conversation piece. Or maybe it was one of the only acceptable ways for a man to wear jewelry. My high school was small enough that we never got contacted by anyone trying to sell us; my whole graduating class fit easily on the folded single-page program.

My wife went to a rural high school where the entire graduating class was 30 people. Meanwhile my high school had to use the local minor league sports arena for our graduation ceremony.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Apologies if this has been discussed recently in the thread, but we were watching Looney Tunes just now and I was reminded of how many references there are in it that are so forgotten now that we don't even recognize them as references. For example, anyone watching in the 1940s would've known:

Wikipedia posted:

Foghorn Leghorn was directly inspired by the character of Senator Claghorn, a blustery Southern politician played by Kenny Delmar on Fred Allen's popular 1940s radio show. Foghorn adopted many of Claghorn's catchphrases, such as "I say.." and "That's a joke, son!" Delmar's inspiration for Claghorn was a Texas rancher who was fond of saying this.
Similarly, I have a wonderful old annotated hardcover collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, and it's amazing how many references there are in them to (then) contemporary events and personalities that just slide right on by us without even being recognizable as such.

Is that the life cycle of most references? To go from topical to obscure to utterly invisible, or even deeper, for the thing that started as a reference to eventually supplant the thing it was referencing, ala Foghorn Leghorn?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I listen to some of the olde tymey radio programs on satellite radio, youtube etc and while I like the dramas and westerns and crime/mystery shows, I have a hard time with the comedies because a lot of it seems to be the sort of thing that you had to have lived during that time to really get it. Like if Bob Hope makes some joke about a senator that was caught up in a scandal at the time the show was broadcast, for example, my Dad might laugh about it, but I'm kinda like "uhhhhh what"?

Some of it is timeless like Who's On First, but a lot of it seems to be contemporary references.

I recently tried listening to some of the 50s and 60s British radio comedies that are supposed to have inspired the likes of Monty Python (e.g. The Goon Show) and found that, despite generally not being the sort of person bewildered by accents, I literally couldn't even understand what they were saying between the speed they were talking, the low quality of the original recording, the low bitrate of the files of that, only having the audio to go off of, and then not recognizing what they were parodying or satirizing.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They got West back to voice Batman in two of the recent animated movies, 'The Return of the Caped Crusader' and 'Batman vs Two Face'. He also did the voice of The Gray Ghost in TAS. I always appreciated that he embraced his typecasting like Mark Hamill and didn't try to run from it like, say, some of the Star Trek actors. Sure people only love you for one thing, but they love you. How many artists go through life not being known or appreciated for anything at all?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Hell yeah, Adam West fuckin rules.

That episode of TAS was pretty loving meta, and super on-the-nose for Adam West. It's a testament to his character that he was willing to do it.

quote:

The Gray Ghost, played by actor Simon Trent, was a fictional television hero from Bruce Wayne's childhood. Before his parents' death, Bruce often watched The Gray Ghost on television with his father. The dynamic costumed vigilante helped shape the vigilante persona Bruce Wayne adopted later in his life, the cape and cowl of the Dark Knight.

Decades later, however, Simon Trent was little more than a washed up, typecast actor. Unable to pay his rent, he slowly sold his Gray Ghost memorabilia to cover the bills. Frustrated with his life, he regretted his decision to ever play The Gray Ghost, destroying the few pieces of the collection he had left. However, fate, chance or perhaps just very careful planning brought Batman into contact with Trent. Though he was investigating a bombing spree similar to one depicted in The Gray Ghost, Batman revealed to Trent the importance and influence the character had on him in his early years. Upon hearing that, Trent loaned Batman his own personal archival print of "The Mad Bomber" to help Batman crack the case.

Trent realized the worthiness of his role as the Gray Ghost after seeing the Batman's personal collection of Gray Ghost merchandise and he was glad that what he had done had a positive influence. Trent redeemed himself, donning The Gray Ghost persona once more, and aided Batman in unraveling the mystery of The Mad Bomber. The Bomber turned out to be a toy collector who used Trent's memorabilia to re-enact an episode of The Gray Ghost.

Shortly thereafter, a major home video release of the long lost TV series was made from Trent's personal archival film collection, likely making him a very wealthy man. During a public video signing (in costume), Bruce Wayne acquired Trent's autograph and subtly revealed to his hero his own secret identity, which pleased Trent to no end. It is assumed Trent kept the secret to himself.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In 2021 I'm p sure actual physical libraries are where homeless people and poor latchkey kids browse the internet. Everyone else uses overdrive/libby or doesn't use the library at all.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
While not "literally" dead in the sense that there are still a few either highly specialized or old af tradesman hanging in there, it seems like a whole range of repairmen are going the way of the dodo: shoe repair, clock repair, small appliance repair, camera repair, lawnmower repair, etc. It's just that everything is either cheaper to just replace now or designed to be impossible to fix.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
To be honest I prefer the current way to dealing with a pushy salesman pretending to be my buddy, but you're right. If I actually go to a store, I've already decided what I want, I just need to know if they have it.

Edit: in my hometown there's a local furniture superstore that grew to the point where all the other furniture stores opened on the same street as them. Eventually, though, the superstore bought out most of the competitors but kept the names the same. The funny bit is that the superstore is known for having REALLY attentive old-fashioned salespeople. The competitor across the street always advertised that they weren't pushy and would leave you alone to shop.

They still advertise that now, but they're owned by the same people.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 2, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In this day and age I imagine bragging about your WPM is like bragging about your IQ: impressive in theory, but in practice people will either be unimpressed, assume you're lying, or think you're a weirdo for even caring what your score is enough to remember it and brag about it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah considering the ream of papers I had to physically sign to buy my house, escrow agencies must still have file clerks.

I would guess all that stuff gets scanned and tossed in a dated box somewhere never to be seen again by human eyes unless you go to court over something sometime, because I work in local government and that's what happens to the paper part of our paperwork. Just have a warehouse full of boxes of already-digitized papers dated from X date to X date, and only keep them for the legally mandated minimum number of years before shredding them. In the off chance someone needs it, they just look up the date it came in and dig through the box from that approximate date.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 2, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Let me re-word my question then:

Why go through them by hand if they're digitized and accessible from more than just what ever back room the box is stored in

Because you don't have someone around to do QA on every scan of every single page of every single file, so -- along with the retention law -- you do a quick scan, throw it in a database, and you usually refer to it if there's a question. However, you still have the hardcopy for 3-7 years (depending on the type of document and retention law) in case there's a problem with the scan, or you need the hard copy for a legal purpose.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah the stuff I was working on was not that detailed or critical, a little more serious but on the level of applications for fishing licenses. But yes, scanning and filling is absolutely still the worst and most tedious bullshit. We used to have temps whose only job was to scan and file poo poo for us, but the higher ups discovered that if they fired all the temps and didn't listen to us, they saved money and the result was the same for them. It's free real estate!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I wonder what the current equivalent is.

"Wanna flip burgers?"

Even that's outdated, though. Too steady. If I wanted to scare my kid, I'd threaten him with gig economy poo poo. "You want to grow up and do Postmates?"

I've done Postmates

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I think France still has a law that if you get wounded in action in the FFL you automatically become a french citizen.

Do you mean serving in the French Foreign Legion and not becoming a citizen is a possibility? Or even, likely? Why the gently caress would anyone do it then?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah I've always heard it portrayed it as a sort of permanent, division sized 'Dirty Dozen'.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 6, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pookah posted:

The only time I ever encountered anything close to a hall monitor was when one of the nuns from the convent my school was part of (not a teaching nun btw) spent an afternoon marching up and down one of the corridors with a full-sized, homemade stop sign.

Never spoke or made eye-contact, just marched and scowled.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Niece and nephew graduating high school this month brought to mind another reference lost on modern audiences: Who's Who Among American High School Students. The Simpsons nailed what this scam was 25 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBX7hmtW3ig

My grandmother still got suckered into buying this thing because my name was in it, and it was seriously just a volume of densely packed, small font names of kids whose family were suckers.

Wikipedia says it's officially bankrupt now, so I have no doubt there are kids nowadays who wouldn't even recognize a reference to it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Mother flippers think this is a mother flipping joke?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
John Wayne TP: it's rough, it's tough, and it doesn't take any poo poo off anyone.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
An episode of Futurama I watched last night featured the inventor Ron Popeil, who was famous for infomercials for his goofy products like the Chop-O-Matic and Mr. Microphone (also parodied by a classic episode of The Simpsons). My wife asked me, "How old would you have to be, nowadays, to even know who Ron Popeil was?", and I instantly thought of this thread. According to Wikipedia, Popeil sold RonCo in 2005, and the whole 'As Seen on TV' thing kind of depended on the premise of sitting around watching whatever's on until the infomercials start playing on late-night broadcast television. So the freshest that reference could possibly be is 16 years old. RonCo itself went bankrupt and shutdown in 2018.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Drimble Wedge posted:

Those printers were always loud as gently caress too, and in the school labs there'd always be someone printing out roughly 857 pages at a time so it would be screeching forever.

I used to detect a sort of musical rhythm and groove to the sound of a dot-matrix printer printing some long document. It pleased me greatly when clever people started figuring out how to make that 'music' on purpose and uploading videos of it to YouTube.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's the fantasy of someone who has the creativity of an artist type but is also respectable, educated and professional (and middle class with a steady paycheck).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Next you'll tell me kids can't even find porn in the woods anymore.

Sidenote: I briefly worked at an adult "novelty" / porn shop back in 1999 and even back then I would look at the customers actually paying money for porn (and it was expensive!) and think, "Do you not have the internet??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When I worked at 7-Eleven one time I went out to smoke and change all the outside trash cans. I looked into one and someone had put a reusable grocery bag FULL of sex toys in the trash there. Must've been hundreds of dollars worth.

Also, back at the adult gift shop, for obvious reasons all sales on toys were final, so it was policy for us to open up and put batteries in everything right before we sold it to make sure it worked. That was always a hoot with the customers who were already mortified to even be there, lol.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 13, 2021