Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKcpodt0YCU

"I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you've got a brand new key."

I'm just old enough to remember having a pair of metal skates that went around my shoes as a kid. They'd clamp on, and you would use a key to tighten them.

Another thing is any mention from old movies or TV about "Green Stamps."

Many stores particularly grocery would give you trading stamps when you bought something, instead of coupons or member cards. The most popular were S&H Green Stamps, although there were others (I think I remember one called GreenBax). You'd collect them and paste them into books, and when you had enough you could take them to a redemption center and trade them for stuff ranging from jewelry, small electronics, or bigger stuff (which was almost impossible to get that many stamps). I remember trading them in for a electric alarm clock. They faded away sometime in the early eighties.

That makes me remember, Tube Testers!

Back when TV's had vacuum tubes, many people would fix their own TV's. Since the vacuum tubes were the most frequent things to fail, there were tube tester kiosks in just about every drug store or grocery store. You'd bring your suspect tubes, plug them into sockets on the kiosk and press a button, and the analog readout would tell you if the tube was bad or not. I remember going there with my Dad many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
That website about saving the sounds reminded me of PhoneTrips, which has a ton of recordings taken from the old phone system by phone phreaks. It's a fascinating piece of history, as well as nostalgia for those of us that remember what it used to sound like to make a phone call in the 70's and 80's. Here is a great example from the page.

Edit: for some reason, the embedded link doesn't work when you click on it, but it does if you go directly to wideweb.com/phonetrips/ .

Cerebral Mayhem fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 5, 2020