Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Just be like me and obsessively check your online credit card statement multiple times a day because you never got over being kinda broke in your early 20’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Record and record are homographs but not homonyms. Like homonyms they have different meanings.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly, that contextually just seems like a way of saying the battle wasn't that interesting, that there weren't any unusual or noteworthy players or tactics involved on either side. as a result the specifics get brushed off as "the same old poo poo as every other battle."

Obviously, the problem is we don’t know what happened in typical battles and we’d like to because we’re curious about them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Some bars, food trucks sometimes, and other things without much infrastructure, though that’s becoming less and less common each year with things like square card readers and such.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Actual content:
Kids that grew up on YouTube and streaming services are probably going to be confused by the concept of reruns and just linear TV in general. People just watching a stream of stuff they have no choice in will probably be weird to them.

I was visiting relatives this last weekend and my nephew was intensely confused by the idea that, at great-grandma’s house, you just had to watch whichever episode was on television right at that moment because she has cable not app-based tv.

“But I don’t want to watch this episode of Paw Patrol!”

“Well, that’s what’s on.”

“Can we skip this commercial?”

“Nope, sorry buddy.”

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Early 00s graduate, I fought my parents on the class ring because it was obviously a huge waste of money even 20 years ago but they did it anyway.

Same, graduated very early 2000’s. My mom and dad INSISTED I’d care about it to the point of me giving up and just picking one so they’d leave me alone. I’ve never worn it, because it’s a huge dumb ring celebrating high school and I was immediately in college, where caring about what you did in high school was super dumb.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is silence_kit one of the like 4 resident chuds that floats around here looking for gotchas or al I misremembering?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

"Is this signature legit" comes up in court, such as in forgery cases, when people are passing bad checks (no your honor my checkbook was stolen I didn't write those), that sort of thing.

a personal personal identification number number

it just gets worse

I suppose we're already past the point where people remember what PIN stands for and use it grammatically appropriately for that, and now entering into the era of writing the word in lower-case and just forgetting that it was ever an acronym at all. Someday people will wonder why we use the word "pin" for both authentication, and things you stick into voodoo dolls.

Language evolves who cares.

But yeah chip and sign is idiotic when chip and pinPIN exists.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Nah, ‘worse’ is a subjective opinion based on your inability to change. Changes don’t proliferate if they’re worse at getting across meaning.

Hopefully weird Oxford Dictionary Purists will become a thing of the past in some future thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm delighted that language evolves, and as a technical writer, I'm constantly confronted with the mutated offspring of English's promiscuous past and present. Some changes are great, and some suck. On balance it's better for everyone that language changes to keep up with the changes in our world and our society.

Specifically, your assertion that changes don't proliferate if they're worse at conveying meaning is wrong: changes proliferate if people use and adopt them; and people do so for a variety of reasons, many of which are specifically (albeit perhaps unconsciously or unintentionally) to obfuscate meaning. That's literally what slang is for/why slang happens: identifying within an ingroup and differentiating from everyone else. That's also part of how accents can become dialects and eventually whole different languages, a process that obviously confounds getting across meaning with at least some segment of people. When you and your friends come up with an "in-joke" and then reference that using some shortcut term, you've just invented a slang word that, when used, reinforces your social bond, and you'd do this regardless of whether anyone else listening would "get it".

For something like PINs, another mechanism is at play, and that's convenience/shorthand overtaking completeness. People who don't like hearing "PIN number" probably don't like it because it creates cognitive dissonance; whenever they hear or read it they mentally get stopped and notice the word because of the redundancy. Whereas for people who are fine with it or use it, there's no cognitive dissonance, probably because they're not thinking about that it is or was an acronym. So why would I care? Only because the word "pin" already exists in English and has other meanings, and this is one of the irritating things about English, words with a bunch of different meanings combined with a grammar that often fails to provide clarity, leading to the reader having to engage in a contextual analysis in order to resolve ambiguity of meaning.

This isn't an egregious example: you're not likely to be talking about user authentication in the same sentence that you're talking about sharp pointy objects, so I'm not like hugely butthurt about it. It's just a convenient example to talk about language. I'm also not a linguist (Xiahou Dun is, IIRC), just a writer who has to confront our dumb language's dumb problems more often than maybe the average Joe, so I've more reason to get annoyed about niggling poo poo like this than the average Joe.

But just as a ferexample: the docs I write are machine-translated into ten other languages, and the algorithm knows how to translate PIN correctly because it's unique in English, but if we transited to "pin" someone would have to add multiple logic paths to determine what to translate it to by context. I've already hit that issue with "zip" (the translator thought it should be "postal code" instead of one of "a type of compressed file" or "the act of compressing a file" and we had to file a bug and have an engineer fix that).

Nah.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Well you’re the expert.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I got a set of pilot’s wings once in like 1988 because I was flying for my first time ever, and I was like 4 years old.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flying sucks for a thousand annoying reasons. This is generally glossed over in shows about flying.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Orange County is insanely racist tbcf

This doesn’t reduce the absolutely apocalyptic temperature of that take.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Busy signals are still a thing, especially if you’re calling for take out at a busy local restaurant in COVID times.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Scudworth posted:

Do people under 60 read obituaries, you need a newspaper for that, or to look it up specifically on your local news... website? I don't even know.

I submit this as part of the thread topic.

Your local library likely has the biggest newspaper(s) digitized and searchable online. If you’re bad at online you can call/email and get librarians to look them up. When I do telephone reference shifts I look up about 5 obits a week.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Lol the house we just moved into has a phone jack and a coaxial cable jack in every. loving. room.

We have the internet plugged into fibre in the corner of the living room. The rest are just annoying blemishes on the wall.

If you own the home it’s pretty baby simple to cut the drywall, tuck the wires, and do a replacement drywall patch.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Please terminate them with safety caps. Power surges are a thing.

Yes please do that too. It’s still quite easy and safety caps are cheap.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

It makes me sad. I'm a sedan man, but the American auto makers are abandoning that market.

But that means some other company will get my money.

Same. Guess it’s Civics forever.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I think you'll find that Goofus and Gallant were also in Boy's Life, which every Boy Scout got.

So what I'm saying is that all the coolest kids know about them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I read the article and it feels like typical science journalism, in which the worst outcome is the truest because somebody somewhere wondered if it might be true.

I can't speak for others, but I use GPS for directions, and after a few times, I don't need it anymore. Like, there's a drive I make twice a year, and it's like a 60 minute ride, and I can navigate it by memory now. I don't even turn on the GPS. I used it when I first started making that drive.

I can't imagine how GPS would be any different than making a map. Even before I used GPS, which would have only been before i graduated college, I personally couldn't give you directions worth a drat. I knew how to navigate my world, but God help you if you needed me to tell you how to get anywhere.

I think it's just easier to blame GPS because it's new.

Yep. I use a gps for the first 2-3 times I go to a new place and then just don’t anymore. It’s literally the same as a map read by a passenger.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

My grandmother used to make the most amazing fruitcake that required letting the fruit sit in a jar for a month beforehand. Sadly she lost the recipe. Or she lied just got tired of making it. Grandmothers can be like that.

Yo it’s called friendship fruitcake and it’s delicious. Here’s an example recipe.

https://www.southyourmouth.com/2014/01/friendship-fruit-cake-plus-starter.html?m=1

The US doesn’t have fruitcake - the Midwest and northeast have terrible food and for some reason that’s the culture we constantly export to the world.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

how tf do you lose a wired remote

You unplugged them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/mikexnichols/status/1370877830150692869?s=21

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alhazred posted:

When writing down stuff became a thing Socrates was worried that people would be incapable of remembering stuff.

He wasn't even wrong, the building of mind palaces and the extreme feats of memory people at that time could achieve eventually faded away and stopped being a thing. It's just that it's also not that big a deal because we had things written down so we didn't need to dedicate that mental space to memory. Things shift and change that makes them different, not worse.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Honestly greek philosophers had the dumbest deaths.
Socrates, cause of death: Believing that the state is always right. Even when they executed him.
Chrysippus of Soli, cause of death: Laughing so hard of his own dad joke that he died.
Pythagoras, cause of death: Would rather be killed by an angry mob than running into a field of beans.
Archimedes, cause of death: Being a smartass to an armed soldier.
Plato, cause of death: Thought of ants.

The founders of Western Civilization. Brightest minds of the past 4000 years.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They aren’t even discs!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

I can't stand TV anymore. SO many ads, and they're all TERRIBLE. How many drat prescription meds ARE there?

Only Boomers and people who are weirdly into sports watch broadcast television anymore so the ads are all focused on the most gullible and least healthy segments of our population.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh man I remember those. Every sales person in the place I worked in the mid 2010’s had that bullshit as part of their email signature when I was doing technical sales support stuff and it was the dumbest poo poo in the worst.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Weirdly into sports like... watching the postseason and biggest games of various leagues, which are what is shown on broadcast tv? It's always so weird when goons show up to try to flex on people enjoying sports.

No, I admit I’m not a sports guy, nor is ‘some people are weird about a hobby’ a flex in that hobby. but I’m basing it on a friend who wouldn’t get a streaming service for sports because it was missing some random games that didn’t matter to the season or something. I just thought it was the obsessive superfan choice, the same way getting an anime only steaming thing is the weeb Superfan’s choice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Oh no! How dare someone enjoy something in a way that you don't!

That’s not at all what I’m saying, weirdly offended dude.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had to use a Smartboard and yeah they kind of suck. It’s not that they’re bad; they have some nice features. But those don’t outweigh the complexity and cost. If they go on the fritz, it’s a huge brick taking up prime instruction space in your classroom.

Maybe this is already something Zoomers think is weird, but High School kids with a ton of textbooks. My kid never brings home a textbook. There’s a classroom set that can be checked out, but students aren’t assigned books for every subject anymore.

I wonder when they'll just have schools adopt a subscription model with x licenses that stay updated and can be accessed via some student login portal. I'm going back for a Master's and all my textbooks are digital now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Imagined posted:

I graduated in 1998. I told my parents multiple times not to buy me a class ring, that I wouldn't wear it, didn't want it, didn't care about it, didn't want to remember high school, etc. They thought I would regret it or change my mind someday, and bought it anyway. 23 years later I can say that I was right, and I have no idea where it even is. I cannot even imagine a bitch so basic they would wear a high school class ring after graduation. In my experience the only people who are proud of what they did in high school or remember the actual school experience fondly are the people who peaked in high school. For everyone else, high school was at best an ambivalent experience and at worst the nadir of their adult lives from which everything afterward represented an improvement.

Same, except I'm like 5 years younger than you. My mother was insistent on it, to the point where I was getting in trouble for not selecting which extracurriculars I wanted on it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Holy poo poo the cop was a pedophile? The guy who did the cops on the beat threads?

It was always weird to me how much goons fawned over stories like ‘then we beat this guy up for saying he was innocent’ but in old guy language.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

People jumping from windows and landing in blankets help by firemen. Was that ever a thing? Or just a made up cartoon thing?

It was real but sucked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_net

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Scudworth posted:

How did that work? I didn't understand the concept on TV because it seemed like the student doing it was somehow not attending classes.

I wasn’t a hall monitor but I was an ‘assistant’ which meant for one period out of the day I sat in the principle’s office and ran errands for the assistant principle like picking up attendance forms and such. Also I got to sit and read a book for 80% of the period unmolested.

You get to do that if you place out of all the math at your grade level in junior high.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think it's pretty broad to say young people aren't watching TV and Movies anymore - I almost suspect what is happening is that they're not using it for background noise anymore.

The article lost me when they suggested that Gen Z was influencing millennials and gen x on their videogame playing. Yeah, I guess people who were alive and young when videogames were either already established, or went from cheap Atari 2600 games to more innovative experiences aren't the ones leading the charge.

I think it's also important to note Gen Z is all young adults at this point, so a lot of them haven't had kids yet. Might these numbers change? Maybe.

Yeah I’d love to have seen a comparison between millennials at that age and zoomers now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
lol just lol if you ever attended a single pep rally.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

We had mandatory pep rallies in my high school. At least it got us out class for 30 minutes.

Did they take attendance? I can’t even imagine that. My school had like 3000 kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

B: Wait in the bathroom for about 10 minutes. Once the crowds in the halls have died down just walk to the nearest exit.

I skipped so much class like this. Then I’d just walk by a teacher’s class and mark myself present on the attendance sheet of whatever class I was supposed to be in (they were hanging on the door for pickup) with a pen and leave for a couple hours.