Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Every car I've ever owned has come with the "bash your head in" variety. Of course the last car I bought was in 2012 so what do I know. Do new cars not come with spare tires/jacks/tire irons these days? That would suck, I mean yeah you can call someone but putting on a spare is like a 5 minute operation if you've ever done it before. Also "most people will never get a flat tire", what? Flats seem more like a once every few years thing than a maybe once in a lifetime thing.

It used to be, long ago, that you had a 'spare tyre'. Using this involved prying the old tyre off the wheel hub and forcing the new one on, a process that required a lot of force and leverage. You had a long, soidly-constructed 'tyre iron' to help apply this leverage, with a chisel end for levering the tyre and a socket at the other for the lugnuts. It has more in common with a crowbar than anything else.

These days you have a 'spare wheel'. All you have to do is swap the wheel, and all you need for that is to undo the lugnuts. A flimsy bit of aluminium works fine.
(Then the tyre place uses a hydraulic machine to get the tyres on and off the hubs. They don't want to have to do it manually either)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Be honest, you just think pneumatic tubes are really cool. (They are and if I was an eccentric millionaire I'd have random pneumatic tubes for no reason in my house. And secret passages.)

They can both be the same things and fire you from room to room.

{The bookcase revolves on its axis, there is a *fsshhh* sound, and Xiahou appears in the kitchen}

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I mean, obviously learning a language restructures your brain. It kinda has to. That's what learning a language is. Or learning literally anything else for that matter.
I'm happy to accept that it doesn't change your brain in the ways presented in the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

jack up the car utilizing the special jacking points in the frame, which are probably indented or something so I can find them, undo the bolts, get the spare out, bolt it on, being careful to not do the bolts in order around the wheel but crosswise. That about right? Never done it, don't even have a license. Tell me how I'll die :v:

Incorrect. That is how you change a wheel.

(Last time I had a flat I spent ten minutes figuring out which way up the spevial jack that came with the car was supposed to go)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have an old old memory of taking a drill to a stack of 720k discs to turn them into incredibly-unreliable 1.44mb discs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone else remember having two floppy disk drives so you could have both discs in at once and not have to keep swapping? That was a luxury.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The modern equivalent would be to take the battery out of your phone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Who these days has a phone with a removable battery?

Everything is removable if you have a screwdriver.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I was taught to use the filing cabinets to look up periodicals in high school.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Court reporters still exist, but it's a whole different world from the one where every big office had a steno pool and women routinely trained in Gregg or Pitman shorthand. I bet there are fewer people who use that today than there are sheep-shearers.

Sheep-shearing hasn't gone away at all AFAIK. it's a seasonal job, but in-season a skilled shearer can earn quite a bit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought drilling was hard unpleasant work but you got paid a lot? Because every minute of operation lost costs the company a shitload so they're willing to pay big bucks to get experienced reliable workers who won't gently caress it up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think France still has a law that if you get wounded in action in the FFL you automatically become a french citizen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Imagined posted:

Do you mean serving in the French Foreign Legion and not becoming a citizen is a possibility? Or even, likely? Why the gently caress would anyone do it then?

Until 1997 ghurkas were not given british residence even after serving a full career.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't seltzer just soda water? I can buy four different brands at any supermarket.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My school had a thing where a group of prisoners came in to talk about how much jail sucks and that you should avoid going there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alcohol is highly addictive, hell on the body, causes aggressive and risk-taking bevaviour, and can kill both by overdose and withdrawal. If I was ranking recreational drugs by societal-harmfulness it'd be pretty high up even on just a theoretical basis, leaving aside availability and cultural factors.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

We had this thing where a shipping container had been done up as a shithole apartment on the inside, with an actress playing a junkie, talking and ranting about the poo poo she had to do to get enough money for a fix.

I have to give her props for staying in character, with all the stupid dumbass kid questions we asked her.

Wouldn't an actual junkie be cheaper?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't modern heating literally the same thing as an airconditioner?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Todays cars are ridiculously more powerful than cars of decades past. A new minivan could smoke a seventies muscle car, and it only gets worse from there.

Especially electric cars. You can get insane torque out of an electric motor, and all of it's available instantly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's also frustrating if things go wrong since the POST beeps can tell you what's failing if the computer won't boot. Some fancier motherboards have small seven segment displays on the board itself that displays the error code but if you don't have that it's entirely guesswork now.

I used to rely on those beepy noises when I had a volunteer job assembling computers out of donated parts. Damned if I can remember what means what now, other than "single short beep = good".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm assuming from the name that it's a compressed-steam-powered car, and I only know about them from old sci-fi.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cobalt-60 posted:

I think it's a bit of Great Man theory. "He designed that WHOLE building!" Which is impressive when you're looking at a 500 foot skyscraper. Never mind all the architects who figured out the details, the engineers who translated it into reality, and the workers who actually put up the structure. Although it's nice to have one person to blame when said building falls apart or starts setting fires.

Personally I'm all for the field of Competitive Architecture where you build a structure that will burn the other guy's building down.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I did as a child sometimes.

It had brandy in it

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Haven't you heard of Dualaska and Trilaska?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Quadralaska is where its at.

(Inception foghorn)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

isnt constipation and indigestion a common side effect of coke and other certain drugs?

Opiates mostly. The muscles responsible for peristalsis stop being so lively.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can't be hungover if you never stop drinking.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My dad bought the italian sports car that he'd always wanted growing up.
He sold it after he drove my mom's modern passenger car and realised it was faster and more maneuverable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There was a chunk of time in which I was an old figey who acknowledged that (task) could probably be done in the windows GUI but it was qucker and easier to drop into a DOS shell.
Then they started removing commands :shakefist:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

These people aren’t getting as sound sleep, they’re sleeping in sleeping bags that have no hygiene standards, and we’re teaching them to play games with the rules to make their lives easier.

Thus ideally preparing them for what their future will actually be like.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do you have to bring the actual pig into the bank branch or would a photo be enough?
Would the pig itself be considered an included gift or do I have to return it to the client after cashing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Waaaay back in the days of AT PSUs it was possible to plug them into the motherboard offset-by-one-pin. Said board didn't work so well after that.