Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The thread has mostly covered tv and film but it gets even worse in older novels. Here's a guide book for 19th century English literature:

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew

quote:

For anyone who has ever wondered whether a duke outranked an earl, when to yell “Tally Ho!” at a fox hunt, or how one landed in “debtor’s prison,” this book serves as an indispensable historical and literary resource. Author Daniel Pool provides countless intriguing details (did you know that the “plums” in Christmas plum pudding were actually raisins?) on the Church of England, sex, Parliament, dinner parties, country house visiting, and a host of other aspects of nineteenth-century English life—both “upstairs” and “downstairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you haven't seen/read it, we should point out it works on two levels because he's Jack Torrance, meaning his formal name is John.

Here's an outdated thing:

Letting a car warm up. Much more of a reality when an engine uses a carburetor instead of computer controlled fuel injection. It was a plot point in an early Seinfeld episode. Also, it was because Jerry had some kind of muscle car and I didn't get the impression it was something he sought out, I think it was just a cheap old American car.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 8, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, waiting for an old carburetor car to warm up is kind of a different thing. I feel like a young person starting up a car from the 60's would think it was broken.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Advantage of analog clock: you can put custom icons on the hands and hours and junk.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whoops, astigmatism would be why I can't do them now, then.

Push starting a car, which was a plot point as recently as Children of Men (and which would make more sense in Europe), would probably just draw strange looks from USA zoomers.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 27, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://youtu.be/3RA4MykPm4s

This song or variations of it is half the content of the this thread, not without reason.

Edited because I read the above post and thought I was in the working IT thread, sorry!

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 24, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I use paper maps when riding around on motorcycle road trips, it's a different feeling than following a GPS. Still keep my phone handy just in case, and I wouldn't do this if the trip itself wasn't expressly recreational, but there's a lost pleasure to counting miles and watching for the next highway sign, and watching the landscape replay itself from another perspective on the return trip.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Relatedly, I asked some 20 year olds for directions while I was on my bike and I'm pretty sure they'd never had to do that before, and honestly I don't think I've done it in years. When's the last time you had to tell someone how to get somewhere other than by texting the address? Maybe that still happens a lot for people in urban areas with mass transit and walking? Not for me or my friends here in american Suburbia!

Oh and before I get too :bahgawd: their directions were fine, they just needed a minute .

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 28, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Unreal_One posted:

someone can know that when facing north east is to the left

Um, it's to the right?

Edit: I'm not mad at you though.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

When videotapes first became a thing people were worried that no one would ever read a book again because why would you when you could watch any film you wanted at any time at home?

I mean, this is somewhat true, people read less.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a great image; there are sort of two different points here though; people not realizing that the arc of their own personal life isn't anything new isn't the same thing as recognizing that societies change.

I'm not saying you're mistaking the two, but I wanted to draw a distinction between "nobody reads anymore" and "reading (books) is declining".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The video store has the excitement of browsing the physical displays; there's nothing like that on a digital store except, faintly, huge yearly sales.

Steam, for all its many, many advantages, has nothing on walking through the aisle of a block buster just looking, and that's not rose colored glasses.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Joke's on Disney because I'm *still* suffering from super hero fatigue and welcome anyone attempting to make new content, even if most of it falls flat.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Go ahead and back up" would also remain readily accessible. And I showed the "gambling in the barracks" clip to some friends the other day, they liked it. Oh! And the math trick would be a nice opener for a class period. :allears: Now I want to watch Abbot and Costello.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Get lots of poo poo from the thrift store.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
gently caress, that's a reference that *I* didn't get until now; of *course* index cards were orginally primarily designed for Dewey decimal style indexing in wooden drawers, I've just never even seen them used that way by regular people.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think Thomas the Train engine chugga chuggas and choo choos?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've lived around trains all my life and my broke brain hears modern (diesel electric??) trains horns as a way different noise than the classic steam whistle from cartoons and westerns.

Mostly just like a HOOONK with a doppler effect.

Edit: I can't decide how to write the modern train noise but it doesn't sound like a steam engine whistle.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 14, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It gets a little old, or maybe he just covered every car I cared about, but it was a favorite of mine for a long, long time, so any new viewer is in for a treat.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I drive by a 5 below in my local strip mall multiple times a week, and have done so for years, and aside from once asking my girlfriend if it was like a dollar store I've never even thought of entering.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_clutch

Motorcycle controls took longer to be standardized than cars and some designs I've heard of seem real, real bad.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, no one in Hollywood is an ugly detective.

Oh, ah, just one more thing...

(Ok fine this just proves the point because he's rumpled but actually quite handsome. Gosh, is it Sipowicz? Is he thr first ugly detective?)

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 6, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dustin.h posted:

I assume this thread is less references lost on modern audiences as it is references lost on stupid people. I mean, I don't remember candlestick phones or the telegraph, but I'm aware of them and know the basics of how they operate. And as far as old TV shows go, we had Nick at Nite and people younger than us have whatever streaming gobbledygook exists for classic TV.

Mother's Little Helper predates Valium, certainly. It must be a barbiturate of some sort. Red Devil, maybe (Seconal)?

It's dismissive to say it's only idiots, all lot of this is essentially trivia you pick up as you age, so it's more about being young. There's a term for it, the older you get the more you won't just draw a total blank on many topics, because you're picking up this stuff your whole life.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember when I was a kid and watching certain episodes of Tom and Jerry, Tom would get extremely hosed up and then tell the camera something like "don't you believe it" in a very hollow voice. Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izl2b8_kYC0

I had no idea where it came from in the 90s or aughts, but turns out it was actually from a contemporary radio show that a kid watching the cartoon during the 40s would have known.

Hell yeah

https://youtu.be/i94qmgQ3_48

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
This is a good one, yeah. I'm old enough to remember the phrase "smart enough to program a VCR" but I didn't know this is what they meant.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I participated in but wasn't particularly knowledgeable about early 90's computers and my general recollection is that the time before USB, plug and play, and easy driver install was pretty rough.

And I wasn't even around for the time before that when people were apparently creating their own lean batch files to squeeze out a bit more memory? Honestly old computing is fascinating and I always wanted to get an 80s PC to tinker with.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

Conventional memory was limited to 640 KiB, and many programs would either only use conventional memory or would require a certain amount of it. Things (like mouse drivers) would often need to be loaded into conventional memory before starting a game (that required a mouse), and the game itself would require a certain amount of conventional memory, and you might have other TSRs that you automatically load on startup. So you'd want to either switch out your boot configuration files (CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT) and reboot, or boot from a floppy disk, to free up as much conventional memory as you possibly could by eliminating everything that wasn't required to play that one game.

Awesome, it reminds me of very early automobiles, an arcane oddity for enthusiasts.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hasturtium posted:

My advice for wanting to tinker with an old machine is to run the PCem emulator. Rolling your own OS image, feeding it floppy images to install DOS, and having a specific kind of machine to emulate with the right motherboard BIOS loaded will be very much like having an old machine, minus a 30 pound x86 brick and a CRT, mouse, keyboard, and speakers cluttering up your house.

Yeah.. I'd like to hear the way an old PC sounds when booting up again, and loading, but that kind novelty isn't worth all the hassle of storing and using the hardware. Not to mention the unwelcome extra layer of troubleshooting added by thirty year old hardware. I wonder if there's a thread for this in Serious hardware/software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ritz On Toppa Ritz posted:

Honestly - I only use Reddit in lieu of ‘googling’ something.

Like checking if some new service is any good - reviews of things. Checking if something is legit or a scam.

Usually I’ll find a handful of useful comments and then the rest of it are junk comments and ‘jokes.’

Yeah, I similarly use Reddit as the useful version of, say, googling "how do I cancel X subscription"; top results will include the actual companies FAQ, which will be worthless, and also a reddit page that clearly explains where to go and what to do.