Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sorry to continue the cash vs electronic debate but: how do people in these cashless utopias buy drugs? Every time this subject comes up I wonder this.

Also, if you bake a Manhattan-sized phone book in a very low-temp oven, a skinny woman like me can tear it easily. Looks like a normal phonebook, but dries out the glue and paper so you can do it with almost no effort. Great party/winning-a-bet trick.

Also also, I was born in the early 70's and didn't get a SSN until I must've been 8 or so. I remember because when I signed the card, I put the equivalent of "Jackie" instead of "Jacqueline" on there, and dang my mom was pissed. When I hit 18 and really needed a SS card for college, work, etc, I got another one issued and signed my legal name (with a lot less curlicues).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I can't speak for any harder drugs, but here in Canada you can just buy weed legally from a store. You pay for it like you'd pay for anything else.

Really? Wow! Next you're gonna tell me you can buy milk or bread with a debit card, too!

Jfc, obviously I was talking about places where weed isn't legal.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

"It's 10 PM. Do you know where your children are?"

I was watching the Simpsons, the one where Bart works for the burlesque house, and they do that gag where the Kent Brockman says it and Homer replies "I told you last night, no!"

I was the only person in the room who laughed at that reference. :corsair:

fake edit: looked it up on Wikipedia, and Andy Warhol did one in 1984?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0p9zJoSQTA

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait, other cities did the whole 'It's 10pm do YOU know where your children are?' commercial PSA's also?

We had them in Atlanta because we had a serial killer who murdered 28 kids. And here I was thinking we were unique and special.

Yeah, they had them in NY when I was growing up in the 80's. They always creeped me out because I only saw them when visiting my grandparents in NYC, who let us stay up that late when we visited on summer vacation. NYC was already kinda scary to me at night because we'd watch the 5'oclock news while eating dinner, and it was nothing but "woman raped in Central Park!" and "man shot in Brooklyn!" or "girl's body found in the East River!" compared to my relatively peaceful hometown upstate news of "look at this giant ear of corn this farmer grew!" So the last thing I'd hear before going to bed was the ominous Channel 5 voice booming "IT'S 10 PM. DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE?!" like I was gonna get abducted and killed in my sleep.

Not necessarily a media reference, but speaking of "o'clock" --- at my last few jobs I've been amazed at how many of the teens/20's co-workers have no idea how to tell time on an analog clock because they all just check their cell phones and no one wears an analog watch anymore. I usually work restaurants, and there's always a big rear end clock on the wall so every can see what time it is. So many times someone would ask me what time it was when their hands were too dirty to pull out their phone. I'd look at the wall right in their line of vision, and say, "... it's 5:25?"

Do they not teach that anymore? And how many will not get older media bits because they can't see/understand the tension of a ticking clock and how much time is left before Bad Thing Happens?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Wasn't even gonna touch the cursive bit until it came up, but, yeah I've had to interpret cursive for younger folks too. Last time I needed it was 1995, when you did the GRE's you had to copy a whole paragraph in cursive to, I dunno, your handwriting proved it was you and not someone else taking the test? Cursive is, imo, obselete.

Did not expect my post to turn into a slapfight/dogpile, jeez; I thought the whole point of this thread of this was older folks mentioning poo poo the kids of future generations would not get. Guess I'll go back to practicing my abacus.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't think this is a slapfight: I found the views in the posts all genuinely interesting and thought -provoking.

Oh, agreed, there have been some good posts. I was just all "wtf?" when PHIZ decided to mock the poo poo out of me for having the audacity to, y'know, posting things the thread is about. Three times in a row.

All y'all who've posted since, I've taken your posts into account and appreciate it, even if I don't agree with it.

So let's just all talk about how cursive sucks and be a happy family. Yes?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Long-distance calls being a big deal. If somebody called you long-distance, especially during the day rather than the cheaper evening/weekend hours, something really serious was going on.

Oh, yeah, and long distance calls during national (US) holidays, when the rates were cheaper. 4th of July? Time to call the parents and see how they're doing!

I was living on Long Island when they split Nassau and Suffolk counties into two area codes, when long distance call billing was still a thing. That was a total poo poo-show because suddenly you could be calling someone a mile away and it was all "am I gonna be billed for this?!" confusion.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Maybe someone will figure out the legality of creating pop-up tailgate parties where they open up in an empty lot and sell beer and brats and show the game on a large projector.

Drive-in movie theaters are something lost on modern audiences, but are gonna make mad bank if they come back, especially if they run with your idea of showing concerts, sporting events, and such. Already read about a couple places in Florida that are cleaning up nicely right now showing "re-runs" like Back to Future, Jurassic Park, etc (and one that was super sweet and offered their place up, free of charge, for any high school that wanted to hold graduations there --- everybody parks, then they show pics of the students on the big screen :kimchi:).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Frazzbo posted:

Instead of clapping, all you hear from a distance is a random chorus of car horns. You can always tell when a joke falls flat, as there's only a half-hearted 'honk'. Must be really weird for the performers, though, since there can't be anything like the feedback you'd get in a club. How does anyone heckle?

Ha, that's interesting. I was just talking to my husband today about how late nite show hosts have been dealing with the lack of a live studio audience. John Oliver is rolling with it well, I think; he keeps up his patter with just a teensy bit of a pause after a joke so you can chuckle or lol, then moves right along. On the other hand, Stephen Colbert, much as I love him, still puts these looooong pauses after his bon mots as if a crowd of hundreds is still hooting and laughing right there for few good seconds. So if it's a joke that really only deserves a "heh" than a long belly laugh, it is awkward as hell to watch.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Imagined posted:

This poo poo is so stupid. My agency charges a ridiculous processing fee to make credit card payments, like $4 + 1% or something, and I rant and rave at every meeting we have even tangentially related to the subject at all. Like, these loving idiots can't get it through their heads that we should eat that poo poo because people paying that way SAVE US MONEY. Every payment we take online is someone we're not paying to open mail, deposit checks, route it to the right department, not to mention saving literal days worth of processing time. Do you idiots want money today or three days from now? But this smooth brain generation are gonna have to die before we can do things properly.

I've been working restaurant industry for years now, and out of the 6 places I've worked, not a single one pays with direct deposit, it's always checks. Every other Friday afternoon, it's like pre-Happy Hour at the bank, nothing but cooks and servers lined up at the local bank to cash or deposit their checks. The tellers think it's kinda funny, watching us high-five and gossip about who got fired and who's sleeping with who and which bar we're gonna blow our paycheck on that night.

I asked a teller once why the two places I worked at at the time (same guy owns both places, and that's the bank we got our checks cut from) don't do direct deposit, and the teller sighed and said "We've been trying to talk him into it, but it costs more. Trust me, we've been trying to work out a plan he'll take, we know how much of a PITA this is for y'all."

How exchanging some ones-and-zeroes via electrons costs more than printing physical checks, I have no idea, but I guess that's the case? :/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Pff. I had a screenshot of this error message but lost it off the clipboard. Anyways...not quite older media a la tv/films, but it reminded me of this thread.

I was setting up my desktop that's been in storage for a few months, and needed to coax it into finding an internet connection. Windows 10 "helpfully" asked if I had an ethernet cable hitched up, explaining [paraphrasing]: "an ethernet cable looks like a telephone cable but with bigger plugs".

How many people under a certain age know what a phone cable looks like? Nowadays one would describe a phone cable the other way around, "like an ethernet cable but with smaller plugs".

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Necro-ing this thread because I was just so chagrined about figuring this out, and feeling old.

We have 2 new hires at the restaurant I work at. One is a really good, hard worker. The other spends way too much time gabbing, lazing about, constantly asking for cigarette breaks.

The shift lead (who is 20) mentioned that he was gonna cut* them both around 1:00 pm, so around 12:50 I (who am 46) asked, "Hey, can I get a smoke in real quick before we cut Goofus and Gallant?"

"What did you call them?"
"Goofus and Gallant."
[blank stare]
"Y'know, from Highlights For Children?"
[more blank stare]

*"cut" means they're getting off the clock because our labor costs are too high, so we need to get people off the clock and out of there

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am older than Olduvai dirt, but I saw Highlights for Children only at dentists' and doctors' offices. Maybe doctors and dentists have wised up?

Yeah, that's where I mostly encountered them too. In fact, when I asked my boss (who's 60-ish), "YOU know who Goofus and Gallant are, right?" she said "Yeah! They were in that magazine in every doctor's office!"

My first job was shelving children's books at the public library, and they carried it, too. Anytime I had to put an issue back on the shelf I couldn't resist sneaking a peek at what those two were up to this month.

Jeza posted:

I haven't seen a receipt like that in probably 10+ years, so I sympathise with the apprentice.

I owned a shop in a flea market just a few years ago, and a lot of the vendors still used them. Even if you had an inside booth like I did, with electricity, it was safer than having a laptop/iPad sitting around --- which might get stolen --- to keep track of your transactions. Even when I got a Square reader for my phone so I wasn't cash-only, that doesn't really keep track of what they bought, so I rocked the old school carbon receipt pads.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Not really a media thing, but today at work I needed to make an announcement to the kitchen and yelled "ATTENTION K-MART SHOPPERS!" and all the teenagers looked at me like I had three heads.

I guess the media tie-in would be that none of these kids would get the "shop smart, shop S-mart" jokes in the Evil Dead movies. Stores don't do live announcements like that anymore. Now it's automated announcements about wearing masks and social distancing when I'm at Kroger. :/

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

The other day a co-worker at my restaurant asked what the special of the week was. A dude (who's about 40) said "2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun". I laughed; the guy asking looked confused as hell, and suddenly a bunch of us felt old.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Something today at work triggered this forgotten nugget in my brain: "The Surrey With A Fringe On Top", from the musical Oklahoma!

We had to learn and sing this for a public school musical, which would've been... 1983-ish.

quote:

When I take you out, tonight, with me,
Honey, here's the way it's goin' to be,
You will set behind a team of snow white horses,
In the slickest gig you ever see!
Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry
When I take you out in the surrey,
When I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top!
Watch that fringe and see how it flutters
When I drive them high steppin' strutters.
Nosey pokes'll peek thru' their shutters and their eyes will pop!
The wheels are yeller, the upholstery's brown,
The dashboard's genuine leather,
With isinglass curtains y' can roll right down,
In case there's a change in the weather.
Two bright sidelight's winkin' and blinkin',
Ain't no finer rig I'm a-thinkin'
You can keep your rig if you're thinkin' 'at I'd keep to swap
Fer that shiny, little surrey with the fringe on the top!
Did you say the fringe was made of silk
Wouldn't have no other kind but silk
Does it really have a team of snow white horses
One's like snow, the others more like milk

The hell was "isinglass"? Or "fringe"? Or even a "surrey" for that matter? I know what they are now because I'm a huge nerd, but we had no idea as 9 year-olds in the 80's. That can't have changed much, except for even more people under an even lower age being clueless as to what that song's about.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 4, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Platystemon posted:

CRTs are far more durable against ionising radiation.

Plus, I've seen enough videos of people cracking flat screens with their errant Wii controllers to make me think, "hmm, if I'm on that bumpy drop ship ride in Aliens, I dont want a loose bolt flying across the cabin to knock out my navigation screen". I'd much prefer a tank like my C64 monitor.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Maybe in the US.

Yeah, I've lived in the US all my life, and I can name way more BBC Radio music DJ's than US ones. Uh, Kasey Kasem? Dr Demento?

We definitely have rich and famous talk show people like Howard Stern or Alex Jones. But actual djs curating music, at least ime, are regional on tiny low-watt indie stations, so neither rich nor famous outside of your area code.* Everything's loving I Heart Radio/Clear Channel autoplay bullshit.

(*Area codes basically dont mean poo poo these days, either!)

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

Uh, Shadow Stevens? Delilah? Okay your point's made because that's all I can think of. I can probably name more MTV VJ's.

Lol, even VJs are obsolete, no? I referenced Downtown Julie Brown the other day at work and was met with blank stares.

Funny you should bring that up, though. Off the top of my head I can name the 2 Juile Browns, Dave Kendall, Adam Curry, and Fab 5 Freddy. If you give me a second I could probably name the dudes on Headbangers Ball. That's twice what I can recall of nationallly famous radio djs, and I'm 47 next month.

Edit:

Guy Axlerod posted:

10-digit dialing is becoming mandatory in more areas soon: https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/25/...ion-hotline-988

I tried to find when 7 digit numbering became the standard in the US, it looks like as late as the 90s the last places had changed from shorter numbers.

Oh yeah, understood, but that was kinda my point. What with everyone having cells these days, you gotta put all 10 digits in, because your number has no bearing on where you actually live.

I used to belong to a loose collective of experimental musicians in the early Aughts, and the regional "chapters", so to speak, were named after the area codes. So I joined 804 Noise in Richmond, VA, then went on to found 757 Noise in my (then) home turf of Hampton Roads. Now I live in 540, but kept my old 757 number (it helps weed out spam/robocalls).

So the idea of a particular area code being something that identifies where you live is pointless, that's what I was getting at. If I was to start 540 Noise right now, I'd bet half the people do not have 540 numbers.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 28, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I went to the same university for my BA and MA, so 7 years total. All 7 years (and some prior) the editor of our humor magazine managed to sweet talk/bribe someone on the yearbook staff into printing his pic as Juan Valdez, Agriculture Major (note: we had no agriculture program). I never bought a college yearbook but when I saw one I HAD to check.

Which is now, of course, a joke most likely lost on folks younger than me.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Not really sure if this pops up in media, but has media in the name so...

I just went to the supermarket and bought a couple frozen dinners, since my husband doesn't get off work 'til 10pm and I gotta be up at 4am tomorrow; I'll be hitting the hay by or before the time he comes home. I(47) just texted him (51) with "got some tv dinners in the freezer if I'm asleep when you get home".

Does anyone call them tv dinners anymore? Back in the day those were a treat, it meant "yay! we can eat dinner while watching tv, this is so cool!" vs "we're gonna all sit around the dinner table Cleaver-style and eat mom's dessicated chicken and boiled-to-death broccoli, making small talk about how school was that day".

Now it's "yeah, lemme nuke some poo poo and eat it wherever in the house there's a convenient screen to look at forums."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I mean, celebrating the defeat of the Confederacy seems like as good a reason as any to treat yourself.

It's less tacky than Memorial Day sales, that's for sure. Yes, let's honor our fallen troops with some new furniture.
Glad my uncle got drafted and died in Vietnam so you could get a great deal on a new mattress, I'm sure that's how he'd like to be memorialized.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

I gave up trying to argue about the safety issue with people who dont buckle up in my car. Like anti-maskers, they ain't gonna listen to reason. Instead I point out that I'm the one who gets the ticket for that if I get pulled over, "so that's $150 on you." For a certain subset of dumbasses, the idea of coughing up $150 if I get pulled over for a bad brake light and the cop sees they weren't buckled up is scarier than flying thru a windshield if we get rear-ended, idk. :shrug:

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 21, 2021

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

dustin.h posted:

One of the slides commonly shown before the show, asking ladies to remove their hats:

There are a bunch. I like this one too:

Lol, that's interesting and fun, the precursor to "shut your phone off" (or in my day, "no smoking"). You should get someone to animate it so it flits between the man and woman behind her (I'd offer but don't know how to gif).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

One I thought of today: having a "little black book". You'd see a character pull out their LBB and you knew it was a list of people who owed them favors, or they'd slept together, etc. It meant something nefarious or lascivious was about to happen, if the character pulled it out and started flipping through it.

Now you just keep those numbers right next to your boss, your partner, and your friends/family on your phone.

(I have to carry a small black notebook around for my job, which I jokingly call my LBB, which... is kinda lost on the young pups there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

When I did a couple months in jail, I had a fellow inmate sheepishly pass me a handwritten letter from some family member. "JD, you're old and went to college, you can read cursive, right? Can you read this to me?"

Word got around the pod that Ol' Gramma JD could translate cursive, got a lot of ramen noodles outta that hustle. (I would happily do it for free, but inmates can also be decent humans who insist on tipping good service)

That's my cursive story, hope you enjoyed it.