Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

echopapa posted:

Morton Salt’s slogan, “When It Rains It Pours,” made sense at the time it was adopted. It was one of the first table salts to be treated so that it wouldn’t get clumpy in humid conditions.

:aaaaa: Holy poo poo, I never really thought of this. That makes perfect sense.

Also, think about how many Young people have never heard a busy signal, or that sound the phone makes whens it's left off the hook too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Save icon will be a floppy disk long after most people won't know what a floppy is.

Funny you should mention this. I'm a 38 year old manager and several of my coworkers are still in high school. I decided to ask each one of them what the save icon was a picture of. They gave me bewildered looks.

I explained what a floppy disk was, and they looked like I'd grown a second head. So last weekend I ordered a USB 3.5" drive and some disks. Put a README. txt file on there that said, "Hello, world!"

Gave them out today. They seemed genuinely surprised, like I was just messing with them.

EDIT: it brought back a lot of memories hearing that click and the drive spinning up. Haven't heard that 20+ years.

One Nut Wonder fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 19, 2021

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

If this pencil was designed for lefties, it would work.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

pairofdimes posted:

The problem isn't the special names, but that some versions of the coins only say "half crown" or "one florin" or no denomination at all. If you don't know already know what those are worth it could be confusing. By the time the switch happened I think all the coins had clear values on them but that wasn't the case historically.

The US does that with the dime, it's the only coin that doesn't have its value in dollars or cents just "one dime".

The dime (disme) was one of the original denominations of US currency. Cent-dime-dollar. So you have 1 cent (penny), 5 cents (nickel), 1 dime (10 cents), a quarter (quarter dollar), half dollar, dollar coin, and the other bills (technically notes).

Also, although we call that copper coin a penny (now copper-coated zinc) , it's not. It is a cent. 1 cent, 2 cents. 1 penny, 2 pence . It's a holdover from the British.