Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

So pat yourself on the back and give yourself a handshake
'Cause everything is not yet lost

Pillbug

RCarr posted:

I still have my (516) area code on my cell phone. I will never switch to (631)!!!

Iím jealous of my duchess county friends that still have their 914 numbers from before that split into 914/845. That was also a long-distance calling nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

FreudianSlippers posted:

Magneto was actually Romani for a while. It wasn't until after the first X-Men movie where he was retconned into being Jewish.

Kind of. He was originally written as Jewish, then Marvel didnít want to have one of their biggest villains be Jewish so they changed his backstory in the 80ís or 90ís, then they went back to Jewish but with a Romani wife and retconned it as him having posed as Romani for reasons. But yeah, the only reason he was ever written as Romani was because the public never really gets its hackles up over Romani being portrayed as evil.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

lavaca posted:

The funny thing about TV and movie airplane scenes is that the plane layouts all seem to be stuck in 1995. You see a lot more cushy seats with generous legroom on TV than in real life. That's probably because so many plane scenes are filmed in a studio in LA rather than an actual plane. It would be a logistical nightmare to film onboard something as cramped as an actual modern airplane.

There was a sitcom called LA to Vegas that was about a budget airline but even though the plane was a puddle jumper with four set rows the plane looked way roomier than any plane Iíve been on for a non-international flight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Planes Trains & Automobiles somehow managed to perfectly capture air travel in 2020 even though it was 1987.

What was a horrible travel day then is normal now.

That movie managed to perfectly capture that exhausted, exasperated feeling of a trip where nothing goes right. The last time I tried to rent a car I definitely couldnít stop thinking of the ďfour wheels and a loving seatĒ scene.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Police surplus loudspeaker

If you ever get the chance to yell at someone over a police or ambulance loudspeaker, take it. Itís so much goddamn fun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Itís a song about a guy whoís trying to act cool without understanding any of the stuff that he thinks is cool. Youíre really trying to force a specific intent to it by saying stuff like

Greg12 posted:

nah

A racist song mocking white people who don't "act right" by only listening to distortion guitar music

The whole point is that he has no idea what heís doing, not that white people shouldnt listen to rap.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It was also (eventually) fatal before antibiotics.

And youíd go insane before it killed you. Possibly blind, too!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oddly enough today, it's still mostly doctors that have pagers.

My ambulance service gives us pagers to carry when weíre on duty in case the radios are hosed up and the dispatch text message doesnít go through. I think itís only come in handy like once, but the whole point is redundancy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I was at CVS a few months ago and got stuck behind an incredibly old (like ďthis is her last trip to CVSĒ old) lady for half an hour while she paid with a check. Gotta love how CVS is so understaffed all the time they canít even open a second lane when something like that happens.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Anyone whoís interested in the decline of communal groups should read Bowling Alone by Robert Putnam, itís about exactly that and itís really interesting. 20 years old at this point but still worth checking out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

Eventually the city started its own online payment service. They do charge a fee for using debit/credit cards, but no charge using your banking info. Which is kinda dumb considering my debit card is attached to my checking account.

Thereís fees from visa/MasterCard/discover that kick in if you use a card. An ACH transfer from a banking account doesnít have those fees.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

This poo poo is so stupid. My agency charges a ridiculous processing fee to make credit card payments, like $4 + 1% or something, and I rant and rave at every meeting we have even tangentially related to the subject at all. Like, these loving idiots can't get it through their heads that we should eat that poo poo because people paying that way SAVE US MONEY. Every payment we take online is someone we're not paying to open mail, deposit checks, route it to the right department, not to mention saving literal days worth of processing time. Do you idiots want money today or three days from now? But this smooth brain generation are gonna have to die before we can do things properly.

The problem is that the merchant fees are easily quantifiable as either a flat number or percentage, and the cost of someone's time is harder to work out on a per-bill basis.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've been working restaurant industry for years now, and out of the 6 places I've worked, not a single one pays with direct deposit, it's always checks. Every other Friday afternoon, it's like pre-Happy Hour at the bank, nothing but cooks and servers lined up at the local bank to cash or deposit their checks. The tellers think it's kinda funny, watching us high-five and gossip about who got fired and who's sleeping with who and which bar we're gonna blow our paycheck on that night.

I asked a teller once why the two places I worked at at the time (same guy owns both places, and that's the bank we got our checks cut from) don't do direct deposit, and the teller sighed and said "We've been trying to talk him into it, but it costs more. Trust me, we've been trying to work out a plan he'll take, we know how much of a PITA this is for y'all."

How exchanging some ones-and-zeroes via electrons costs more than printing physical checks, I have no idea, but I guess that's the case? :/

I worked for a modular home company that did the check thing. I could talk for days about how rear end backwards that whole place was. Pretty sure the owner got a semi whenever he heard the chorus to 16 tons

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Scudworth posted:

Do people under 60 read obituaries, you need a newspaper for that, or to look it up specifically on your local news... website? I don't even know.

I submit this as part of the thread topic.

Everyone I know in EMS does it, itís like the sports pages.

postmodifier posted:

Steven King plays with this in 11/22/63 also, where the proprietor of the diner can bring money back in time, buy a poo poo-ton of beef, and then return with it to the present day, so he can make money selling hamburgers for a buck or whatever when everyone else needs to charge 15 to break even.

It also made for remarkably consistent burgers since people were literally eating the same meat over and over again.

I was watching some Futurama before and thereís a Joe Esterhaus joke in the credits of a movie that people now wouldnít get, he hasnít written on every goddamn movie in ages

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

postmodifier posted:

Even in the relatively unpretentious city in upstate New York that I moved to, any actual, non-diner, non-fast food restaurant's burgers are 13-15 dollars depending on toppings. When I did live in NYC, you're talking closer to 23-37 dollars depending on the restaurant.

So yes, I did move, but still not in reach of that sweet sweet 1.50 smashed meat dream.

Again, inflation is a hell of a drug.

Yep, Iím in the Hudson Valley and a burger is 13 dollars minimum, except for the one night a week where a place near me did a 5 dollar burger special back before coronavirus. I think that special is done for now, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I still use a radio all the time and it has some uses. If I tell someone Iím reading them 5 by 1 it means that theyíre coming in loud but choppy/staticky, or 1 by 5 meaning theyíre super quiet but clear (so talk into the goddamn mic).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are you a trucker, pilot, streamer, or cosplayer?

Volunteer EMT and construction safety guy. I use radios all the time for both. I think only the construction ones are analog, but even digital has transmission problems sometimes where there's in-and-out interference.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How many radios these days use analog signal, and how many are digitally encoded (and encrypted) over the air?

I mean, you still hear about people using police scanners, but it seems like that shouldn't be possible any more.

If you know someone in a fire department you can probably get your scanner programmed for the county fire/EMS radio no problem. Police is usually trunked off and occasionally the only digital signal in the area anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

A separate key for the glove box/trunk meant you could give the main key to a valet to go park your car, but they couldn't easily steal all your valuable stuff you locked in the glove box/trunk.

A lot of cars still have valet keys that canít open the trunk.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Pontius Pilate posted:

Iím in the market for a station wagon with a stick. It is not a large market.

Surely Volvo has to have you covered somehow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I learned it as Never Eat Shredded Wheat because my school was lame.

Also my teacher once snapped and yelled ďhummers mother will cease!Ē during a test once, which was totally lost on me in the 90ís and probably makes less sense to people now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

It was probably just an outburst of a lunatic then. That year was... weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Huttan posted:

Police cars have an option to key every patrol car the same. Most police departments pick this option when ordering. I suspect that the excuse is to minimize having different keys, but every dude who bought a Crown Vic Police Interceptor can get into almost every other Crown Vic Police Interceptor in the US.

Itís a feature of anything with an interceptor package and Iíve used it to have many a cop park the medic fly car somewhere while my partner and I go to the hospital on a weird call.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

packetmantis posted:

Isinglass is still used as an additive in beer and wine.

I usually hear about it in the context of why some beers arenít vegetarian/vegan

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Iím seriously thinking g of getting one of those small CRT tv/vcr combos so I can watch my bad b-movies in the ideal format.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I have an old Sony Trinitron with built-in VCR, it's great for this exact thing.
It's also the best way to play games on my Famicom.

If I ever decide to actually buy a house, the basement will have an area set up like an old video rental place with the wire shelves so I can grab something and pop it in a giant TV like that.

I love my b-movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you secretly Mike Stoklasa?

Just love my b movies.

My medic partner and I set up a projector on the outside of the ambulance garage last summer so we could watch bad old movies and Troma stuff between calls.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Shrecknet posted:

Also will legitimately kill you if you gently caress around with its guts.

Is it one of the ones with the turbo strong capacitators that will discharge and electrocute you if you look at them funny? A lot of old TVs had those but not nearly as potent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

subpar anachronism posted:

I remember years ago doing internet radio and one of the other djs I worked with interviewed Time Cube guy and it was a wild-rear end ride. Think he's dead now though (Time Cube guy).

Gene Ray died in like 2015. He had another guy he worked with who was on the same crazy wavelength but he bullied him into suicide.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I had like four flats in two years from 2014-2016 when I had to drive a lot on the Palisades Parkway, which was basically all potholes all the time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

It came up in the bands with terrible names GBS thread, but Jello Biafraís stage name hasnít made sense to people in ages. Itís been fifty years since Biafra existed so most people wonít get that whole ďjello/a terrible famineĒ thing he was going for.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

How do you use powerpoint on an overhead projector? Print out the slides onto transparencies?

Actual no poo poo overhead projectors are so rare now I think they meant it as ďa projector that is overheadĒ

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Iím glad I have my yearbooks because every two or three years Iíll remember some weirdo and be like ďthat loving guy! God drat, what was his name again?Ē

Then I look at my driverís license I go to the storage unit and pull out my yearbook and get rid of that nagging feeling of being unable to remember who used to fall asleep and tip his chair over at 1pm every day in French class.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I used an ice pick like two summers ago when someone bought some bags of gas station ice that had mostly frozen together into one big block. I was mostly just surprised that someone in 2019 had an ice pick.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

The microphone is disconnected from the circuit when the dial is anywhere other than its resting position.

This is because the pulses were sent down the same copper wire that the voice was carried on.

This is basically how most of the old school phone phreaking worked, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

I was just rewatching Arrested Development and I bet thereís a ton of poo poo that would fly over the heads of a 20 year old that watched it now. So much Bush-era stuff that they would have been too young to get constantly slammed by.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Thank you for making me actually look at the photo, because what heís actually carrying is funnier than an AR‐15.

Maybe this tacticlol Ruger 10/22 with a red dot sight?

I have a feeling itís an airsoft sight he jammed on a 10/22.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

l

These are back in style, weirdly enough - a vocal subset of (mostly old and wealthy) patients hate when doctors go "talk to you, look at computer" and would prefer talk to the doctor, have the doctor look at them while they talk back, and have insurance pay for a separate loving amanuensis like it's 1300 to type all the poo poo into Epic or whatever other EMR is being used.

Thatís not the only place you see them at all, theyíre everywhere in ERs. Turns out having someone take your notes for you is super useful when you have a lot going on. Trying to take notes on a conversation youíre having also sucks and makes it easy to miss stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Because you don't have someone around to do QA on every scan of every single page of every single file, so -- along with the retention law -- you do a quick scan, throw it in a database, and you usually refer to it if there's a question. However, you still have the hardcopy for 3-7 years (depending on the type of document and retention law) in case there's a problem with the scan, or you need the hard copy for a legal purpose.

I helped with the document control for the end of a power plant construction project and it was a nightmare. There are things that they were cool with not having paper copies for because of low risk of needing it later (job hazard analyses for work that didnít have any incidents or injuries, for example) but all of that had to be catalogued meticulously in case a workers comp case or lawsuit popped up. So each one was scanned individually, with the project name and JHA number as the file name. It was so god drat boring and took so god drat long.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

Jaguars! posted:

Navvying was still a thing in living memory. Guys who just hand dug for a living, who would turn up and spend 3 days putting a service trench down your street at the correct grade and place (hopefully) because it was still cheaper than buying an excavator. Generally one guy would break the ground with a pick while another guy followed doing the shovel work.

It'd shrunk from the original navigations (canals), railways and bulk digging to smaller work that old, large diggers couldn't do but now mini-excavators can do all but the most awkward digging.

You used to see people asking some lazy high schooler if they just wanted to dig ditches the rest of their life, I wonder what the current equivalent is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010

Pillbug

There was a really loving good A/T thread about it like ten years ago from a goon who had joined it.