Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I feel this. In New York where there's bodies of water in every direction but even more so when I lived in Kingston, Ontario. There's literally a giant ocean sized lake to the south of Kingston and a river running east from it. I cannot fathom how some people just... don't know where Lake fuckin Ontario is relative to where they are, even if they can't tell from the sun.

Also the sun isn't hard to figure out. It isn't esoteric nerd poo poo, it's always east in the morning, west in the evening, southwards because we're in the northern hemisphere :colbert:

Fun fact: Sometimes, the sun is northwards of you, everywhere* on Earth. Let's look at the northern summer solstice. At the equator, it's always to the north, from rise to noon to set. Going north to the tropic of cancer, the sunrise and set have migrated slightly north, but the noon sun has now gone south to straight up. As you keep going north, the rise and set keep going north and the noon keeps going south. Just shy of the arctic circle, the rise and set are nearly straight north. Inside the arctic circle, the midnight sun reaches its lowest point in the sky due north.

But for most people in the northern middle latitudes, rise east set west sun is to the south is all you need to know.

*I'm ignoring the north pole.

This site lets you play around and see where the sun would be anywhere on any date 1600-2600 AD on earth.
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@3422359?month=7&year=2021

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Imagined posted:

I used to be a clerk at 7-Eleven pre-smartphones and I loving hated giving directions to people who couldn't do cardinal directions. It doesn't require you to know where the sun is to know what direction you're going. If you can remember how the directions relate to each other, and you know which direction you started out going in, you should just... know. I don't know how to explain it better than that.

Depending on person, it's between a learning disability and just not being good at it. In the same way you wouldn't get that upset at someone bad at math for not being able to do 12x13 in their head, or with dyslexia for reading bog as dog, someone can know that when facing north east is to the left and still not be able to retain and use cardinal directions, or in the moment swap left and right. Something everyone needs to remind themselves frequently is other people's minds work differently.

VV The funny thing is that occurred because I started by putting "facing east" then swapped them because who the gently caress would start with "facing east", instead of the much less embarrassing "proves my point"

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 3, 2021

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Our middle school typing program counted hitting enter as a full line with one error. Could get as many wpm as necessary with that.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Though, literally any water leaking from a ceiling under a pool would be almost instantly enhanced in retellings to "drained the pool", even if it was just nicked an unrelated pipe.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

I guess in this world you made up where heroin is treated exactly like alcohol in every way, you have a point.

That world is what the initial argument was about, so, it is agreed that the most of alcohol's scale of problems is due to its relative ease of access and social acceptability, and not that alcohol is in itself a much more dangerous drug.

E: A less extreme hypothetical is what if opioids and alcohol were swapped, eg you can go to the corner store and get party packs of pain meds, but alcohol required a not overly difficult to get prescription, opioids would swap places on the scale of societal harm with alcohol.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Along those lines, someone in one of the GDQ threads was amazed by how ~aesthetic~ the 4 color Mega Man DOS games were, not realizing that the reason 80s nostalgia is so cyan and magenta is largely because of CGA.