Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I was watching an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show from the early '60s and was momentarily confused when Van Dyke's character told his wife that "the rabbit died". I think it was a Kennedy-era "proper" way to say that your wife was going to have a baby without having to say the word 'pregnant' (this was the era of married couples sleeping in separate beds on TV because sleeping in the same bed would have been seen as scandalous).

Yeah, the rabbit test was a common euphemism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_test

...up to at least 1975 with Aerosmith's "Sweet Emotion."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82cJgPXU-ik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is a SSN not something you get automatically upon birth?

No, the parents have to apply.

quote:

Getting a Social Security number for your newborn is voluntary. But, getting a number when your child is born is a good idea.

...parents are highly incentivized to apply immediately though:

quote:

You need a Social Security number to claim your child as a dependent on your income tax return. Your child may also need a number if you plan to:
• Open a bank account for the child;
• Buy savings bonds for the child;
• Get medical coverage for the child; or
• Apply for government services for the child.
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10023.pdf

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

But maybe for a brief shining moment in the 50's and 60's, people thought aspirin was a sleep aid.

Might help you stay asleep though.

quote:

1. An attempt has been made to assess under double blind conditions the
sedative action of phenacetin, paracetamol, and aspirin by testing their ability
to prolong sleep in the face of a rapidly filling bladder.
5. Aspirin prolonged sleep interval, but this effect would be explained if it
were an antidiuretic because there was no increase in urine volume on
awakening.
https://bpspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1476-5381.1969.tb10581.x

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Ah yeah you’re right, I went back and checked - he gets a full test done while he’s there but the required one is just blood. It still struck me as really odd and archaic. And they lied about the reason? So weird.

It was incredibly wacky when I got my blood test done in Georgia in 2001. They still only required syphilis although by 2001 of course there were much nastier STDs by then (AIDS being #1 with a bullet).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

They shot people with aids?!

The lost references are coming from within the thread!

quote:

(of a hit record) that has entered the charts in a high position, or has climbed rapidly in the charts, or is thought to have the potential for further rapid advancement
"Crying" has moved up again and is now Number 7 with a bullet on the Cashbox Top 100 chart!!"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/with_a_bullet

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Shine posted:

The fitness supplements/powders thread in YLLS refers to supplements as "tapes" because... I forget why; that's just how it is.

George H.W. oval office in YLLS actually tracked this back a couple of weeks. The answer was really not that great.

krustster posted:

Brother, it's yet another award-winning catchphrase from the mind of ya boy right here,
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3470330&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post402370207

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

I read a similar short story about an elderly couple where the husband has finally gotten his time machine to work...but it only goes to 1968. He's depressed at his failure, but his wife immediately starts using it to buy meat at 1968 prices.

I think it was in a collection like "1991 Best Science Fiction Stories" or similar.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

My wife is the only one I talk to on a regular basis, and it's usually short communication like "I'm on my way home, do you need anything from the grocery store? Okay, text me a list."

...you should be operating on a shared notes or shared google docs grocery list by now anyway.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

mostlygray posted:

It's good if you want to make cube steak. Not that normal people want to make cube steak but I've done it before with it. It wasn't good. All cube steak is terrible.

:wrong: Bread and chicken fry cubed steak and it's great.

nishi koichi posted:

god drat, red harvest is such a good book.

:same:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Collect Calls. Who the gently caress uses them anymore?

People in prison.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Original_Z posted:

I think one of the points of the sex ed was that sex is supposed to be some strong romantic and emotional process and that if you just sleep around casually, you will become depressed because the expected emotional attachment won't be there, which will turn you into a sex-crazed person trying to sleep with people until you do find that attachment, which will never come in that scenario and eventually you'll just become a hollow person, never understanding he joys of a stable relationship and emotional connections!

In fairness I did know some people who went through essentially this. One night stands from the bar don’t often lead to emotional attachment, it turns out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cessna posted:

I use CAD daily in my work (engineering); I can not imagine doing drafting with pen and paler.

I took drafting in high school, and I was much much better with AutoCAD than with pen and paper (not least because my lettering sucked).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

dustin.h posted:

Bertha Cool in the Cool & Lam mysteries is portrayed as a positively enormous landwhale at 165 pounds.

Nero Wolfe, so fat he famously never leaves his house, is 272 pounds at 5’ 11”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m saying I’m personally shocked that it took north of a thousand years for superior bedding technology (if you even can call it that) to get adopted. Your post even said it was better!

Can you go into detail the differences between a quilt (especially on the thicker padded side), a comforter, and a duvet? In particular I don't understand the difference between a comforter and a duvet, but I also think of a comforter as a particularly thick quilt...