Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can learn more than Socrates knew in his entire life in 15 minutes online

Is this intentional, or did you just get owned by Socrates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You can't call yourself an archivist if you aren't chiseling ones and zeroes into stone tablets as we speak

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

I'd say no memory card, but pretty much all dig cameras cone with at least a bit of internal memory

I guess this proves op's point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Joan posted:

Although I guess a lot of podcasters are comedians

Or rather it's what they want you to believe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In South Philly they stopped street sweeping because people very very much didn't want to move their cars. However, there's lots and lots of trash everywhere. So they've been experimenting with a labor intensive street sweeping operation with crews using leaf blowers to clean the streets around the parked cars.

I though towing away the uncompliant cars for extra revenue from parking fines was a feature of street cleaning

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
American schools make no loving sense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Outfit your polar expedition for the cost of a cup of coffee? You can't lose!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cobalt-60 posted:

People have been complaining that the Simpsons is no longer funny longer than they've been saying it was funny.

And they are right

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cemetry Gator posted:

In terms of gen z and computers:

I've thing I think we all forget is how many Millennials and old people also aren't really good with computers. I think a big thing though was that a lot of us got taught computer literacy before college, where we learned about things like file folders and stuff like that.

But honestly, most software today just works and handles that for you. Outside of work, I almost never use file explorer since everything handles the file storage for me.

Lab equipment is generally not designed with usability in mind, so it requires you to do things that most software aimed at consumers does with no fuss

Yeah, there never was a computer literate generation, its merely that the vanishingly small fraction of people who understand at least a bit more than just basic user stuff used to be marginally less vanishing, maybe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It always was a bit of a mindfuck that in American movies everybody appeared to sleep under just plain sheets with no stuffing, and nobody would comment on how unnatural and offputting it was.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why not just sleep in a sensory deprivation chamber in a vat of saline solution heated to perfectly mirror your body temperature

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cobalt-60 posted:

I thought leisure suits were one-piece; maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Are you thinking of Elvis-style jumpsuits?
https://www.elvisconcerts.com/jumpsuits/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

I never liked the format of reddit.

It reminds me of message boards from the early 2000s. Or something like the old IMDB message boards. All the nested comments and whatnot.

It's youtube comment section, for things other than Youtube. With all the negatives that come with it, namely there's no community, and no possibility of even forming a community, as all interactions are by design ephemeral at best, transactional at worst.