Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

feedmyleg posted:

I'd like a science-person to give me some plausible scenarios in which CRTs might be more resiliant or reliable than LCD or OLEDs so I can insert some unnecessary but fun headcanon into older future flicks.

All I know is that the change happened somewhere between Alien: Covenant and Alien so we've got plenty of time to figure the reason out.

Good question! And I have no idea but I have looked. A couple of years ago I was wondering how they were manufactured, how they got better over time and whether any of that knowledge would.. well exist anymore. Industrial processes are weird when they get surplanted, sometimes the entire knowledgebase just disapears apart from the odd manual from a production line in some old engineers garage - e.g. most of the internals of the apollo program.

There are lots of text books on the physics principles and lots of science papers, I have several, but almost no detailed information on actually how they were built, improved, researched, and weird things they could do no other tech could past the 1960s. e.g. you can magic up RCA's vacuum tube design reference book from 1962 (Electron Tube Design - RCA, New Jersey) some of which is on CRT tech. It's mostly all locked up in industrial lab archives, if it exists and hasn't been trashed when company A bought company B's CRT department.

There is a book, The Cathode-Ray Tube Technology, History, and Applications by Peter A. Keller. but it's a limited run by a retired engineer so it frequently goes for $1000. There are no scans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Pookah posted:

Crinkly crunchy toilet paper unity! Seriously, that stuff was criminal.

Thanks for the memory from 30 years ago! Ugh.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Amazon Prime has a nice little movie called Uncle Frank starring Paul Bettany as a gay man in the 70's and there's a scene where the phone rings and Frank and his partner look at one another to confirm who it belongs to, because being closeted they needed two separate telephone lines and couldn't answer the other's calls. It's a quick blink-and-you-might-miss-it moment so I guess that's a reference in modern media that could be lost to younger audiences.

That hasn't changed at all, it's just "don't pick up the wrong mobile" now.