Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I saw someone describe TV episode as a real who's who of x and I was thinking weren't there literal books called that? Turns out yeah. Listings of notable persons. Such a Sherlock Holmes era type thing in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you lived through the rise and fall off CDs, you also lived through DVDs and arguably Blu-rays. Minidisc. A whole load of non-SD flash-based cards. And that's just formats that didn't outright fail in a couple of years.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Alterian posted:

Modern tvs use a significant amount less electricity compared to older style tvs.
Steadily closing the gap though, with average size increasing massively and all the smart crap and image processing becoming unavoidable!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

the 3.5 inch disks weren't floppy at all!
They were though! No matter what they were encased in. The disk was floppy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

How do you use powerpoint on an overhead projector? Print out the slides onto transparencies?
You rip the back and the backlight off a monitor and you basically have an lcd transparent slide. I think there were commercial solutions like that too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's also frustrating if things go wrong since the POST beeps can tell you what's failing if the computer won't boot. Some fancier motherboards have small seven segment displays on the board itself that displays the error code but if you don't have that it's entirely guesswork now.
I thought these beeps came through the onboard sound now? Heard of that anyway.

Also plenty of internal pc speaker piezo things on amazon now.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Did anywhere ever use rj45 for phones instead of rj11 anyway

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Would the suit in Saturday night fever qualify? Like what would presumably evolve to what they're wearing in Miami vice, maybe. That's more what I imagine Larry wearing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Radium code so bad it causes issues on Reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

For some time in the eighties you'd go to a theme park and they'd slap a sticker on your car in the parking lot without asking. I don't know how normal that was, though I do remember noticing cars having more tourist destination stickers on them as a kid and then that falling out of fashion somehow. It angered my father greatly.