Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

super sweet best pal posted:

The old ICQ chats, do people still randomly message strangers on modern chat programs just to have one-on-one conversations?

just a few weeks ago people were texting their "number neighbors" (their numbers off by one digit) and posting the results. Plus, there was that fad of "chat with a random stranger who wants you to touch their penis!" style programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
British Goons, do y'all still have the Creepy Government Surveillance Vans checking for Illegal Party Televisions? when is that going to get recycled as a Dr. Who throwback plot?

edit- one thing that's going to vanish within our lifetimes, probably already functionally extinct outside of Nick At Night, are jokes about visiting friends after vacation and suffering through a slide show of travel photos. it was always presented as something to hate and endure, but with instagram influencers and poo poo i think modern folk would enjoy it, instead?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 27, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

mystes posted:

You're talking about the "TV detector vans" which don't actually do anything and just drive around to scare people into paying their license fee, right?

yes, i've heard rumors that at least some of them could pick up EM radiation? obviously the simplest answer is most likely but george orwell wrote 1984 for a reason

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yes i know the reason was the fascist treatment of language in the spanish civil war. i'm a high school english teacher. that's literally the only fact about the book anyone is required to know.

the point is, engliand? bad.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 29, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

alexandriao posted:

I know (from the mouth of a BT tech on an open day) that BT repair vans, when they've been called in for bad wifi coverage, sometimes do the llegal trick of tuning the radio to a common frequency band and driving around. They usually find someone running their washer or dryer and they pay them to replace the machine with a new one where something something is shielded.

i don;t quite understand how these things are connected?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

alexandriao posted:

You don't see how the BBC picking up EM bands to see if someone's watching TV is related to BT illegally picking up EM bands to check for WiFi interference is related?

They're doing roughly the same action (snooping on EM bands) and the one is definitely illegal.

I don't know what BT is. British Topographers? Bandy-legged Toplessstripteaseartists? I'm interested if it's the second one.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
John Carpenter's The Thing, But For Grammar

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Jeza posted:

Seriously doubt it. It has such universal cultural cachet and recognition that it is pretty indelibly marked on a whole swathe of modern human history. Attitudes may change and people may view scenes differently/not get little 'things' to do with smoking, but it will be generally understood.

Like, people don't really use spittoons for any reason, but people know what they are roughly in the context of a Western. Likewise for anything that wasn't just a passing fad really, so long as you have a tiny amount of historical knowledge, you'll understand now what an opium den is, what opium does, but everything to do with taking opium in the late 19th century is pretty radically removed from modern society.

here's something that hosed me up to realize: spittoons were invented in the 19th century. chewing tobacco dates back to prehistory, as it's one of the earliest cultivated non-food crops in the Americas.

where the gently caress did they spit before the invention of the spittoon?????????????????????????

a spittoon is not a hard thing to invent. you got a bucket? great. put it on the ground. spit in it. you just invented the spittoon, here's all the money in the loving world, its five thousand dollars printed on huge weird red and silver sheets, because we're living in before the 19th century.

what the gently caress people.

edit- yeah they existed sporadically in history through then but they didn't take off in prominence until public hygeine was invented in the 19th century to spite tuberculosis. humanity is disgusting.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 5, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Doing it quickly is difficult but if you use your thumbnail to dig a groove into the top and then just keep twisting back and forth, even goons of average goon strength could tear apart a medium sized phone book.

when the anime club went to a greek party in college one rear end in a top hat challenged us to do just that and sure, it took me 7 solid minutes, but at the end i did it, then the rear end in a top hat knocked the pages out of my hand, yelled at me for making a mess and said my cat ears looked stupid even though actually they look tottemo kawaii.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Modern American Christians are still hugely invested in the oppressed foreign ministry narrative. there's an amazing grift to be had operating gospel radio stations in the fuckoff middle of nowhere if you tell people you're bringing G-d's word to the ignorant masses and being punished for it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

teen witch posted:

A solid majority of my purchases of anything is credit or Swish, a payment system here. I use cash once a month, if that. Maybe half of the places here take cash, but I’ve never seen a cash only place for the past 3ish years I’ve been here.

Now when visiting my mom in the US - entirely different and kind of annoying!

kind of upset swish isn't an app where i can geolocate folks in my neighborhood looking for a pickup game of basketball

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It strikes me that it used to be much more common for Antichrist to be plural rather than a singular figure before the release of the Left Behind series.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fish of hemp posted:

So what are some antichrist references in older media that would be lost on me, the member of modern audience?

There's compelling evidence that the Book of Revelation is contemporary political allegory about Rome. that old enough for you?

Midjack posted:

Nah. It’s been regarded a singular entity for decades; many terrible Cold War era dictators have been accused of being It by various sects.

Decades? Expand your frame of reference. There is only one reference to the Antichrist being a singular entity in the Bible proper. The history stretches back muuuuuuuuuuuch further back than the Cold War (plenty of people though Napoleon would be the Antichrist) but the specific public idea of "Antichrist" as "Nega-Jesus" is extremely a modern American school of thought, rather than the actual meaning which is anything that leads us away from unity in the Godhead.

Tiggum posted:

Is Left Behind actually well-known, or just one of those things that's well-known to internet people and otherwise just among a very small and dedicated fanbase?

there are huge swaths of western Christendom which considers it an authoritative text.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Midjack posted:

I can’t tell what point you’re arguing so you win by default I guess. :cheerdoge:

the antichrist isn't "one dude" it's "anything that distracts you from your journey with Jesus." The idea that it's one specific dude named poo poo like DAMIEN CARPATHIAN destined to bring about the end times is extremely not-actually-in-the-Bible.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
people talk about bit rot and optical storage media being an impermanent solution, but how much content has been released online and is now utterly unavailable? like the minute something drops off a streaming service, boom, it's just gone.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Milo and POTUS posted:

People get wildly defensive about this too

I'm just pissed because I'm trying to write a frontpage article about an indian film which is no longer streaming anywhere online, it seems. the sequels and adaptations? plenty easy to find.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hahaha i laugh at you nerds hahaha who have to waddle into your physical building to deal with cheques, hahahaha not like me it's so fast and easy and convenient to have a "bank" which only exists in the confines of my phone [someone hands me a $2,000 AUS cheque for the purchase of my car] oh gently caress!!!!!!!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Slimy Hog posted:

Mine allows $50,000 in a single day and up to $250,000 every 30 calendar days so suck it PHIZ

drat, that's a lot for a prison commisary account.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Original_Z posted:

There are a lot of sounds which have been lost to time and had very strong meanings in older media. The audience at the time would fully understand what they were supposed to represent, but newer generations will probably have no idea.

http://savethesounds.info/ has saved some of them.

i'm heartbroken they didn't include the "new message window" AIM sound, which inspired such a height of joy that not even getting married on acid could reach it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, I know a decent amount about economics, but I can’t even pretend to understand farm economics.

well basically, the production of food, that thing we all know and love, is controlled by a handful of evil fuckers who shake down the government for, basically, as much money as they want, and they can therefore treat "like 90% of all foods" as loss leaders in order to utterly crush any possible competition from farmers outside their cartel.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

silence_kit posted:

Food prices are lower now than they’ve ever been. Are the US’s food subsidies and tariffs really hurting the American consumer that much?

Well Silence, that's a really complicated question, depending on how you define "hurting," but I'm going to go ahead and say, Yes.

Discendo Vox posted:

The foods produced by the agricultural industry in the united states are not somehow inherently unhealthy. Corn syrup isn't different from other sugars.

1) "other sugars" covers a huge number of chemical compounds and nutritive substances that absolutely have different effects and impacts on the body.

2) the massive, massive ecological toll imposed on the environment says hell yes this food is unhealthy. if producing enough hamburgers for the country poisons the water and fills the air with smoke, that's inherently unhealthy. we have to look at this system holistically and walk the hell away from Omelas Farms.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 31, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
you're welcome, if there's anything else you need help googling feel free to consult the Simple English Wikipedia.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i just thought of one- Pocket protectors as shorthand for "nerd." Glasses fixed with tape has a few more years of life due to Harry Potter, but as far as i can tell only "legacy nerds" like Prof. Frink still have them.

luxury handset posted:

this is very much not accurate, i think in this case more googling will be a detriment to you rather than a benefit

http://www.chemistryexplained.com/Ar-Bo/Artificial-Sweeteners.html and this just covers artificial sweeteners.

edit- just wait till y'all find out how many different kinds of salt there are.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i don't think "pedantic hair-splitting" is any kind of reference lost on modern audiences, jesus loving christ you nerds.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Shut up Meg posted:

Huh, there's a thing.

I always thought that the line was supposed to be 'leather jacket' (cause of the motocycle) and Courtney Cox fluffed the line as 'leatherman' - perhaps she'd just been talking about pocket knives - and I always wondered why they left that in.

'references in older media lost on foreign audiences'

to be fair, the practice has fallen out of popularity even in America, though I think Riverdale-type shows are reviving interest in that and a lot of midcentury americana aesthetic anyway.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the thing to remember is, that the overall strength of the american social fabric is profoundly impoverished relative to even recent history. i can't find the exact article, but more people were invovled in regional bowling leagues in the 60s than engage in every other hobby society still active today. your parents had twice as many close friends as you do, because (statistically speaking) they worked fewer hours for better pay.

edit- we're living in an age where people basically have to monetize every one of their hobbies in hopes that one goes viral enough that they can escape the drudgery of wage slavery. we're going to have to explain that to our kids. this will probably be around the same time when we have to start explaining what pensions were.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what the gently caress kind of neglectful rear end motherfucker isnt teaching their children the Sacred Scriptures of Superbowl Ads From Years Past? this is fuckin, this is the only thing we have for oral tradition, is parents telling kids what ads used to be on TV. that's all white people have left. you'll get the unlabeled VHS tapes and show your children that sears "YOU'LL CALL NOW" ad, with the hot lady banging the fridgerator.
im rolling in the isles of church, clawing at my eyes and shrieking about the crotchspawn of judas loosed upon this world without a solid foundation of Eighties And Nineties Cartoons, Comics Boosk, Videog, and Toy Commercials. i'm sobbing and walking on my knees across the desert, beseeching the silent throne of G-d to reveal unto me Where The Beef Is, Amen.

ONE EIGHT HUNDRED SIX THREE NINE OH SIX SIX SIX

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The song "beautiful dreamer". as a romantic trope, sure, but like the entire song basically gained an extra generation of life thanks to Bugs Bunny. Now that children's entertainment is basically a bespoke youtube affair, Bugs no longer acts as a bridge between the modern and the classical.

honestly, everything about the Looney Tunes is a reference lost on generations. The carrot is a reference to a Marx cigar, "what's up doc?" was a quote from a movie, they borrow classical music and even opera, ACME as a shorthand for shoddy craftsmanship.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Talking about Trailer Park Boys in the "TV shows that didn't age well" thread, is the idea of the "corny white gangsta rapper" something the young kids still joke about or is the overton window shifted so far that rap is the default sad boi genre, instead of emo.

Like, if "Malibu's Most Wanted" was a real movie, instead of a contagious hallucination we all briefly experienced in the late 90s/early 00s? Jamie Kennedy is the name directors used when they're ashamed of what they've created, right? Like hundreds of years from now pedantic dweebs on Twitter will make jokes that Jamie Kennedy is the name of the monster and the scientist who created him was named Marty Power?

if you cast a circle of salt around an unopened Son Of The Mask HDDVD and let the blood of a white hare fall upon it, what nightmares would you bring into our world? Malibu's Most Wanted 2?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

silence_kit posted:

Your amateur sexism theory is pretty amusing though--you've done a pretty good job of demonstrating that some kind of narrative could be concocted to attribute almost any social phenomenon to sexism.

:thunk: wonder why that might be :thunk:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
unless you can use an abacus, shut up about young people.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
imagening a princess in a huge conic hat with a scarf coming out the end straight scoffing at whatever german pederast invented a mechanical clock. "prithee and forsooth! what a jackanape, winding his springs all day long when THE LORD ALMIGHTY has provided for us sundials!"

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
jaquey demps over here jumping into a horse drawn buggy, "follow that cab and step on it!" on account of her manually cranked studebaker being in the shop

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Oh, agreed, there have been some good posts. I was just all "wtf?" when PHIZ decided to mock the poo poo out of me for having the audacity to, y'know, posting things the thread is about. Three times in a row.

so that's a no, you don't know how to use an abacus?

edit- references to jack dempsey are definitely lost on modern audiences. except anyone who listened to more than one Flogging Molly song.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 26, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
noting someone's username is a play on a sobriquet rogue used by historical boxers, in the references in older media lost on modern audiences thread, now constitutes "going after" someone.

curious.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i actually enjoyed them immensely, the joke it inspired me to make about that princess is one of the funnier mental images i've had in weeks.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Achmed Jones posted:

Phiz im sure you meant well but just chill

i'm confused at what point someone starts getting personally offended when i make jokes about things they've claimed other people do. they weren't even personal attacks.
well, not confused, mostly apathetic. suck it up? all of you? just suck it up. good lord. this is about the mildest ribbing i've given anyone on these forums, ever, especially when the person is factually wrong about things we've covered already.

edit- was pointing out "jaqueline dempsey" is a feminization of "jack dempsey" rude somehow? no, obviously not.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 26, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Platy, contrary to popular belief, there's actually many laws which say a fish can't play boxing.

edit- rocky, drenched in sweat, brutally pulverizing a blue-purple betta fish, reducing its scales and organs to a meaty paste with a lightning fast series of jabs and haymakers

edit 2- fish princess diving into the illegal fight club below Ryūgū-jō, "stop! there's a better way!" holding alot a totally drenched copy of "aquatic combat for beginners."

edit 3- a disney musical palette swap of Beowulf where Beowulf is a plucky clownfish who has to learn the power of friendship by doing that neck-snap head-twist move on Grendel, who is the sexy anthropomorphization of bullying, somehow.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 26, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
loving atrocious how american cars are referred to as "left hand drive" instead of Sinister, as the L-RD intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i've just been served a cease and desist letter from the Urashima Taro Protection Society admonishing me for "going after" Otohime by implying that Her Royal Highness would be so ignorant as to allow a full blown fight club to develop in the caverns beneath her stately home, when i was simply attempting to riff off a theme in this thread. how could my flawless and honeyed words betray me so?!
looks like there's nothing left to do but bury that subterranian palace beneath a fusillade of car batteries.