Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I have an old Sony Trinitron with built-in VCR, it's great for this exact thing.
It's also the best way to play games on my Famicom.
Older games look so much better on a CRT that I don't consider people who played on an LCD to even have played the same game, I honestly which we wouldn't have switched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, let's not get carried away here and declare every CRT the greatest invention ever - the Trinitron is a bit of an exception, because before their patent ran out, that line had the brightest and most vivid picture quality.
The vast majority of CRTs looked awful then and look even worse now.

The trick to playing old games on new TVs is pulling the digital signal off the console, instead of through it through a DAC and then an ADC with some optional composhite or RF wire in between.
That usually involves modifying the console, though - but at least you get a loving fantastic picture out of it.

Even doing rgb mods the picture is gonna look like poo poo compared to hooking it up to a good crt.

It's not a coincidence that LCD TV's started showing up right when the trinitron patent ran out, the fact of the matter is we as consumers got swindled by big tv. They realized they'd hit the peak with the trinitron line and couldn't figure out a way to sell more TV's. So they took lcd's made for tiny game screens and such and blew up the size and started changing all the aspect ratios on tv to make the vet's look worse. It was a concentrated effort by the tv lobby to hoodwink us into buying lcd's, and it continued with poo poo like 3d TV's, Oled, 4k, curve tv.

People are going nuts about 4k right now but if you did a double blond trial between a 4k tv and a trinitron, at least 86% of people would prefer the crt, and the ready would see no difference.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If we have to build a dyson sphere to power the next age of crt's then so be it, it'll be worth it so the people of the world can finally play Genesis the way it was meant to be played

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I realized with Countries phasing out real coins and Crypto gaining traction, eventually we'll have a generation that associates coin more with a meme dog than with shiny metal discs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As a fifth dimensional being, time cube is very comprehensible and the closest humanity has gotten to the truth.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My school switched to smart boards my senior year and it was a marked improvement. Every teacher who wasn't ancient preferred it over trying to gently caress around with the projector and transparencies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's just a board connected to an overhead projector. The board has some touch sensitivity sou you can write on it and such with software.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dante's filled with them, especially in hell. Nicholas the third and Boniface the VIII are both condemned to hell. Saladin also ends up in the First Circle which isn't all that bad, but nobody wants to hang out with him

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anything in a poetic form is much easier to remember in general than standard prose. That might make much of the diffrence

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Reading Shakespeare is for plebs, watching Shakespeare is also for plebs, but ones who will understand what the hell is going on

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I cant tell you with certainty that they didn't know what a nickelodeon was when the network premiered.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a firefox addon called sponsor block that does the same. If you see a youtuber starting an ad spiel you click the button and then again when their ad ends. Then it's uploaded and it'll auto skip for anyone else using the add on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Do modern audiences have any idea what the French Foreign Legion is?
There used to be lots of movies about Legionaries, and it would pop up in cartoons and commercials, but I can't think of any mainstream references to it in decades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2mEJ4RpeuI

I think people still get the reference, but modern society lets you drop through the cracks a lot easier than having to join a French Army Unit so people don't think of it often, that's my explanation for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Anyway, I always thought the FFL was a holdover from colonial France. No colonial France, less reason to hear about the FFL.

Colonial france never went away. Go lookup some of the poo poo they still pull in former french africa.