Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Somebody so strong they could rip a phone book in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why point out exactly one dated reference in Blazing Saddles and have that reference not be Hedley Lamarr's name and everyone getting it wrong?

(or do people still know who Hedy Lamarr is these days?)

Unless you're of a certain age, you probably wouldn't get the reference with the Mexicans not needing badges.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I mean, okay, but that's the stated production reason for the haircut. Might not have been Special Forces, maybe I'm mixing things up in my head. :shrug:

Force Recon, which is pretty much the Marine version of Special Forces.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

For the purposes of a movie, close enough.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Somebody leaving their job and taking their Rolodex with them.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

mystes posted:

I think the phone companies also charged extra for touch-tone dialing, and in some places they continued doing so for a very long time.

Yes, touch-tone phones were extra. Also colored phones (anything other than white or black) and "designer" phones like the Princess. It also cost extra to have an unlisted number.

quote:

I remember the heady days when there was only THE phone company, an all-powerful organization of which you lived in existential fear.

That's why they could get away with it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Sure, but usage was inconsistent and generally stopped sooner than was safe. I was like 4 and injured in a Ford Pinto accident and it wasn’t weird at all that I was rolling around unbuckled in the back seat. My younger siblings got proper car seats several years later, but only stage 1. By the time you could sit up you graduated to a restaurant style booster seat. Even in the 90’s advocates were still fighting the ‘my baby is safest in my arms’ mindset.

I don’t recall seeing a rear facing car seat until the 90’s. Sticking your car seat in the front seat only seemed to completely stop with mandatory airbags. In short our parents sucked.

The car seat thing keeps changing since the 80s (rear-facing, front facing, rear seat, front seat, until 4 years old, etc.) just like the advice of how babies should sleep. When my kids were infants, it was "always put them on their stomach." Then it was "never put them on their stomach." Not sure what it is now.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I always carry a small amount of cash because I like to tip in cash, also I'm old.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

I watched Weird Al's UHF with a five year old recently and extended explanation was needed for nearly everything except the silly jokes.

Yeah, I tried to explain the concept of UHF to my kids and they just didn't get it.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

The bank branches in the mall near me have been replaced entirely by ATMs though one still has a couple of workers there to help any olds.

My Credit Union is like this. Nothing but kiosks and one or two workers.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Original_Z posted:

While watching some old movie I came across another reference that many people may not get, "government cheese", usually in reference to people on welfare. Nowadays one would probably just assume that cheese is slang for money, but in fact Government Cheese was an actual thing.

https://www.history.com/news/government-cheese-dairy-farmers-reagan

The US government created a cheese buying program to prop up the dairy industry and ended up with a glut of cheddar cheese that they would give away to welfare recipients. So yes, people did receive literal blocks of cheese for food support. Especially during the 80s, it would constantly be referenced in media but the term seems to have disappeared in modern days.

I remember this, there was also beef, and peanut butter for a while.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Back when the government used to pay by check, on the back of the check where you endorsed it was printed "If signature is made with an X, it must be witnessed by two people who can write."

I don't write in cursive because my cursive is so bad it looks like a prescription written by a stoned doctor. My signature looks like a toddler's scribble but it's never been challenged at a polling place or anywhere else a "legal" signature was necessary.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Something that fits this thread and also the derail - Travelers Checks. Are they still a thing? The last time I purchased them was almost 30 years ago when I was traveling overseas. They were a pain because you had to sign each one in the presence of the clerk who sold them to you.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was at CVS a few months ago and got stuck behind an incredibly old (like “this is her last trip to CVS” old) lady for half an hour while she paid with a check. Gotta love how CVS is so understaffed all the time they can’t even open a second lane when something like that happens.

This seems to happen to me every time I go to Walgreens. There's invariably an old lady in front of me who is doing her grocery shopping there, and has coupons, then writes a check.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am older than Olduvai dirt, but I saw Highlights for Children only at dentists' and doctors' offices.

Same.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I made one of my own the other day in a thread about MLK. I commented that I could listen to that man read the phone book. I wonder how many people other than boomers would get that reference?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Cobalt-60 posted:

The Lego Movie referenced that, with Morgan Freeman (describing his own voice). What was the earlier reference?

Didn't know about the Lego Movie. I was thinking that the phone book would be an archaic reference.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

There's a scene in The Accountant where Anna Kendrick talks about her father's dorky pocket protector, and Ben Affleck says, "I have a pocket protector." and shows it to her.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

From The Eiger Sanction (1975), George Kennedy telling Clint Eastwood "That guy looks like he could change a nine-dollar bill in threes."

Spoilered for homophobic language.

MightyJoe36 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 2, 2021

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

For my sins I once went to theater school and a class made me watch the whole of Oklahoma! 3 times so it's burned into my brain and I basically have the Great American Songbook version of PTSD and can never forget a single line. There are worse things, of course, but it's not fun.

My parents were theater buffs (we lived about 20 minutes from NYC) and used to listen to show tunes all the time. I have my own version of PTSD.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

From an episode of Frasier last night; Roz is talking about being attracted to a much younger man and Frasier says, "Coo coo ca choo Mrs. Robinson."

From the same episode; Frasier's dad is talking about getting mocked for crying while watching Brian's Song.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Kids these days don't know what it was like to literally have no choice in what you watched. "Oh you like that movie you saw once?" Tough poo poo. You might never see it again.

You want to come over on Sunday night? Sorry, Thunderball is on at 8:00.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

For real though I watch a lot of broadcast tv. A $30-$40 digital antenna gets you local news, the aforementioned biggest sporting events, and a bunch of channels that show nothing but hilariously bad old sitcoms and movies. It's a great deal.

It's also handy to have when your internet goes down and you can't get any streaming services.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I still have my yearbook from Basic Training in 1981. I don't have my high school yearbook.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Imagined posted:

drat dude, more like MightyJoe66. :corsair:

Not quite there yet, but close.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I think the only Abbott and Costello reference anyone under a certain age would recognize is "Who's on First?" and a lot of them would only recognize it from Rain Man.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Imagined posted:

In 2021 2005 I'm p sure actual physical libraries are where homeless people and poor latchkey kids browse the internet. Everyone else uses overdrive/libby or doesn't use the library at all.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

The_Franz posted:

also luddites who need someplace to get physical disc movies from now that all the video stores are closed

I still see a couple of Red Box machines around here also.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

All of our hall monitors were teachers.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Re: hall monitors, here's a reference from older media that probably wouldn't fly today:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

In the movie Red Dragon, the two serial killers were communicating with a secret code that they passed through personal ads in a newspaper. Would anybody today know what that was? Are personal ads even a thing anymore?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

But you doesn't have to call it Johnson!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Do people still say, "Oh well, back to the drawing board."? Would anybody younger than a certain age get the reference?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

Here's a popular brand for a carpet cleaning service that refers to an automobile that was last produced in 1924: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Motor_Carriage_Company

The automobile:

Does anyone born in the last 50 years even know about this car?

I knew about it, but I never saw one. I even wrote a book report about the "Steaming Stanley Twins" in Elementary School.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

A cigarette girl in a restaurant/nightclub. What would be the equivalent today? The dude that comes in off the street to sell you a flower? (although now that I think about it, that was more of a European thing).

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Well she wasn't pregnant anymore was she?

She waited 9 months for that poo poo, I bet it was good as hell.

Flavour country.

It amazed me that my wife, a smoker at the time, was able to quit cold turkey the day she found out she was pregnant with our first, and then go right back to smoking when she was done nursing.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

In 1974, all cars manufactured in the United States by law were equipped with a mechanism that prevented the car from being started until the driver and passenger had their seat belts buckled.

There was such a public outcry that by model year 1975, the law was repealed and the only mechanism they had was the buzzer reminding you to buckle up.

here's an article about it: https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2009/11/the-great-safety-belt-interlock-fiasco/

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

My dad never wore a seat belt because, "I learned how to drive before there were seat belts."

That was basically his reason for smoking: "When I started smoking, nobody knew it was bad for you."

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

SpelledBackwards posted:

See, that's why I'd rather be thrown clear of the wreck. Furthermore, the reason why vaccines are harmful to your health which "scientists" don't seem to understand is that

I know this was a joke, but that also one of the reason there were so many fatalities/serious injuries back then. Almost nobody wore seat belts. Hell, they weren't even mandatory in American cars until maybe the mid-1960s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

I know I'm old, but one of the happiest days of my life was the day my son sold his motorcycle.