Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

MJP posted:

Maybe more about an older-media reference lost today, the use of the phrase "pinko" without some form of referencing it to being communist would probably cause head-scratching and googling. Maybe even WITH referencing communists.

This makes me wonder if the reference could maybe shift its target while still retaining the same general direction. "Pink-haired SJW" is a pejorative meme on the right. I could see someone hearing "pinko", not getting the reference to communists, and still end up being mad at roughly the same people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

My Lovely Horse posted:

App-based distribution of Fortnite V-Bucks based on completion of chores, and they have to compete with siblings to grab the jobs first.

http://www.chorewars.com/help.php

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

MightyJoe36 posted:

The car seat thing keeps changing since the 80s (rear-facing, front facing, rear seat, front seat, until 4 years old, etc.) just like the advice of how babies should sleep. When my kids were infants, it was "always put them on their stomach." Then it was "never put them on their stomach." Not sure what it is now.

As someone who had a kid this year I can confirm it's still the latter. But really the whole barrage of professional advice hurled at new parents has some terrifying undertones. "Sometimes babies just die and we, the entire worldwide body of child doctors, have no idea why! Suffocation maybe? JK LOL, no one knows! Anyway, here's our best guess at keeping your newborn alive. Hope you're one of the lucky ones!"

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

thomawesome posted:

I always think about the tiny cellphone and computer illiteracy jokes being outdated in Zoolander, and that movie isn't even very old.

gently caress. Nevermind, that movie is old enough to vote now.

The Trump cameo in the beginning also hasn't aged well.

I was just thinking last night that climate change may one day render this joke from Miss Congeniality unrelatable:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

FreudianSlippers posted:

And now CDs are dead so a kid that age today wouldn't know to connect it to music.

It's wild to think that the rise and fall of CDs happened entirely within my lifetime. I remember getting our first household CD player as a child; my mom was so excited that she could skip between tracks. Now you can't even buy a laptop with a built-in optical drive.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
The real scam is not that they make you pay for your own copy, it's that they mail advertisements to your grandparents and encourage them to shell out. I graduated about the same time as you and I remember getting a ton of Who's Who marketing materials targeted as family members, presumably because they're easier marks.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Fish of hemp posted:

America, are you ok?

*long, protracted sobs*

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Surprised that it wasn't just completely bought out by Facebook. Maybe they (correctly) figured they could just out-advertise them anyway.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I would have gone to my 10-year high school reunion but I couldn't spare any more time off from work. That's got to be a factor for people who are locked into jobs with stricter and stricter vacation policies.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

UnkleBoB posted:

My father graduated in '69, and I remember him going to his 30th. I think for the 40th anniversary, they had the closest years all combined (so like 67-70 or something like that) and they did a joint reunion, since there were fewer and fewer people around by then. 50th, nothing happened because Facebook is a thing and they all keep in touch that way.

Re: combining years, something my college does that makes their reunions successful is to invite literally everyone every year but put special emphasis on those who graduated a multiple of 10 years ago. Plus they say "if you graduated in '99 but your friends were all in the class of '00, just identify with that year and party with them."

Re: references lost on modern viewers, there was a Superbowl commercial for a reality singing show that parodied the Budweiser frogs, which I'm pretty certain aired before a large portion of their audience was born.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Leperflesh posted:

just like there's an annual bump in consumer spending after april 15 as millions of americans get a refund on the money they lent to the federal government interest-free and treat it like a windfall

It is effectively a windfall though. Sure, technically speaking it's money loaned to the government, but it's hard to call it a loan when you never have a chance to use it for anything else. There is no practical difference between earning $15/hr and losing a chunk in taxes every paycheck, and earning $13.50 an hour and getting a windfall in April.

Sure, you can manage your withholdings to make this loan as small as possible, but that is deliberately confusing and hard to do. And without resources/skills to calculate their taxes in advance and bake this into their anticipated annual income, people are naturally going to treat that money as nonexistent until it magically appears in the spring.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Alhazred posted:

Filing your taxes has changed drastically though. I remember watching my parents sitting and doing it by hand, all I have to do is to log onto a government site and check that the numbers are right.

That's a reference in modern media that is lost on audiences stuck in antiquated tax codes.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Do phone books count as older media? One thing that is invisible to people who grew up without them is the practice of naming your business so that it floats to the top of an alphabetized list in the yellow pages, like an analog form of SEO.

(This post brought to you by the A-BOY PLUMBING sign I just drove by.)

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Making pasta from scratch is very satisfying and surprisingly uncomplicated. I like to make fresh ravioli every Christmas.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

The Ferret King posted:

For me, the best I could get is a sort of 3D outline of whatever it's supposed to be, but it's still wrapped in the same crazy pattern, so it's not like a photo pops out or anything. You just get a horse-shaped, or whatever, lump in the middle of the frame.

I think that's the best anyone gets, it's like the page is delicately folded into the target shape but still has the same texture and color.

I had a book of magic eyes as a kid and the "answer key" in the back frustrated me because it showed the shapes as 3D grayscale models against a black background. No way was I getting that level of detail with all the colors and patterns in the way.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I used to get pilot wings all the time. All the time being the two times I flew in a plane as a child. I never got to see the cockpit though.

The movie Airplane must make no sense to anyone born after 2000. Courtesy phone? Hare Krishnas? Steak or fish?

Sniffing glue, however, is timeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Greg12 posted:

the idea that certain tastes are only for certain skin colors

Is this a warm-up to an argument about who's allowed to say the n-word?