Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

In Superman (1978), Clark rushes to find a pay phone and stops because it's an modern one without a booth. I don't think actual phone booths exist much anymore (the last one I used was in the 1990's) so the joke might be lost on younger people.

Anything with public phones is going to confuse the heck out of people born in the last 10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

How old are you when you really have a need for cash money? My 14 year old has just started to see cash as something she should hoard, but even then it's for stuff like concessions or 2nd hand vapes. I can totally see today's youth not really seeing paper currency as money until their tweens. And by that time we'll be using even fewer physical bills.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

You couldn't get hotdogs without fingers in early 20th century America. Was there really that much money to made on insurance claims?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

You can already get your kid a special debit card that you're able to load value onto.

I know the US is behind the rest of the world on cashless transactions, but the framework is just about complete to have a wholesale conversion. You just need all the old POS terminal holdouts to break/get upgraded to NFC. If you're in elementary school now it's going to look completely different by the time you graduate high school.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Floating checks is going to be really confusing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

My Cisco IP phone makes similar sounds when you leave the handset off the hook.

Now Iím trying to remember the last time I heard a real busy signal. Iíve heard fast busies in the last year, but thatís a telco problem. The worst you get calling someone is a recording that theyíre voicemail isnít set up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The intro to the Simpsonís has Baby Maggie in a forward facing car seat in the front seat.

Which I guess wasnít too abnormal in the late 80ís. The fact they even had a car seat probably made them progressive.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TIL not everyone drives sitting on a fruit crate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

?? Car seats for children were normal in the 60's, safety standard regulated in the 70's, and mandatory by the 80's.

Sure, but usage was inconsistent and generally stopped sooner than was safe. I was like 4 and injured in a Ford Pinto accident and it wasnít weird at all that I was rolling around unbuckled in the back seat. My younger siblings got proper car seats several years later, but only stage 1. By the time you could sit up you graduated to a restaurant style booster seat. Even in the 90ís advocates were still fighting the Ďmy baby is safest in my armsí mindset.

I donít recall seeing a rear facing car seat until the 90ís. Sticking your car seat in the front seat only seemed to completely stop with mandatory airbags. In short our parents sucked.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I had kids 4 years apart. Things we were told to do for the first one we were told never to do with the second. Itís always changing.

I canít think of any movies that go into enough detail about child rearing to confuse new audiences. Maybe how everyone kept grabbing Dr. Spockís book in Raising Arizona?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

edit- one thing that's going to vanish within our lifetimes, probably already functionally extinct outside of Nick At Night, are jokes about visiting friends after vacation and suffering through a slide show of travel photos. it was always presented as something to hate and endure, but with instagram influencers and poo poo i think modern folk would enjoy it, instead?

IT Chapter 1 had a slide projector in a pretty important moment and it probably confused the heck out of a lot of tweens.

I'm going to guess the stereotype was played up in media, like the dumb husband trope. If I'm visiting someone's house I probably enjoy their company and I can think of a lot worse things than sitting around getting a buzz on in the dark watching some vacation slides.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Didn't Animal House have a scene where they rummaged through the trash for the ditto test copies. The other frat put fake test answers in the dumpster for them to find.

Which now explains why Bluto thought the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

That's going to be future generations trying to figure out what 'Netflix and chill' meant because to everyone of this era it's so obvious you don't need to explain it.

So 'the usual way' probably means they all gathered on a battlefield and had sex. It was a different time.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I was watching an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show from the early '60s and was momentarily confused when Van Dyke's character told his wife that "the rabbit died". I think it was a Kennedy-era "proper" way to say that your wife was going to have a baby without having to say the word 'pregnant' (this was the era of married couples sleeping in separate beds on TV because sleeping in the same bed would have been seen as scandalous).

They had an episode of M*A*S*H with the rabbit test too and that show was full of sex. So it was as much a TV trope as an euphemism.

Also the rabbit always died because the only way to tell if the lady was pregnant or not was to cut the bunny open.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Modern American Christians are still hugely invested in the oppressed foreign ministry narrative. there's an amazing grift to be had operating gospel radio stations in the fuckoff middle of nowhere if you tell people you're bringing G-d's word to the ignorant masses and being punished for it.

It all depends where you go, but missionary work isn't necessarily the safest or easiest job. I have a friend who does missionary work in China, which has historically been a nice sized can of worms.

A lot of it is grift though, like when the Duggars went to Central America. Also evangelicals never seem even remotely perturbed when a Christian church gets massacred in an African nation. There has to be a reason white, but I can't put my finger on it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The US will always use more cash because weíre a tipping society. Sky Cap checks your bags? Thatís $5 a bag. Bartender hands you a drink? $2. You can add the tip to your card bill for pizza delivery, but there are plenty other circumstances where the only way to tip someone is cash in your pocket.

Other countries donít have the tipping custom so itís a heck of a lot easier to go cashless.

And no, that doesnít explain Canada because they tip and are still mostly cashless. My theories donít often hold up to examination.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Even though there are people who will avoid the census, itíll still provide a lot more useful data than any other self-reporting option.

From a genealogical perspective itís invaluable. Especially the part where old census data becomes available to the public after 70 years. There are a lot of people chomping at the bit right now for some swell 1950ís data, daddy-o.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The concept of 23 episodes in a season that have nothing to do with each other is another thing the next generation is going to have trouble with.

There are so many episodes....but so little happens.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Columbia House used to do reel-to-reel tapes and vinyl records in the 60's and 70's. Then they moved to 8 tracks, cassettes, and finally CD's. So they survived 5 different formats before digital finally killed them off.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

people talk about bit rot and optical storage media being an impermanent solution, but how much content has been released online and is now utterly unavailable? like the minute something drops off a streaming service, boom, it's just gone.

Some content is gone, but it's so easy to replicate anything that someone, somewhere has the most obscure thing backed up in triplicate. Digital rot doesn't occur all at once, so once something is difficult to find there's still time for a random hoarder to upload it before it's extinct. Compare this to thousands of movies on celluloid that have disappeared in the last 100+ years.

1 or 2 people probably recorded the Star Wars Holiday Special and it stayed pretty rare for the next 25 years until digital media became a thing and now they'll play it at George Lucas' funeral just to spite him.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pocket Billiards posted:

Sucks having to go to the post office to deposit cheques because your bank doesn't have physical branches.

Your bank doesn't let you deposit checks by app?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Even weirder aspirin is more likely to keep you awake than make you fall asleep.

But maybe for a brief shining moment in the 50's and 60's, people thought aspirin was a sleep aid. When modern sleep aids that were not booze or opium came onto the market everyone immediately forgot all about aspirin.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

It'll be a single lug size, but the head will fold into the relatively flimsy hollow handle and it's really not meant for heavy use. The old school bash-your-head-in tire iron is definitely something younger audiences wouldn't have seen out in the wild. And like you said, that's if you even have a spare tire and not a can of Fix-a-Flat. You could probably do more damage with a can of Fix-a-Flat than the newer tire irons.

The flimsy tire irons aren't necessarily a bad thing. Most people will never get a flat tire. Those that do will usually call a service.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Triple AAA has become absolute crap lately. It's impossible to get them to come in less than 2 hours now and their call center will do things like try to send you to a mechanics shop which has been closed for 3 years because they never updated their info. It used to be a regional service where the person you were talking to was somewhat familiar with your area but they nationalized it for "efficiency" and now its all gone to pot. You're right about people having no idea how to change a flat now though. My lug wrench went missing and I needed to tighten the bolts on my front tires. I asked to borrow one and like four different people just stared at me dumbly and then said they didn't think they had one.

Back when I drove a 20+ year old car and needed roadside assistance a lot, a tow truck driver said AAA paid the least and got the slowest service.

The problem is now roadside assistance is included with a whole lot of stuff (new car warranty, car insurance, credit card perks) so it's tough to figure out what is good and what is rock bottom reimbursals that tow truck drivers put last on their priorities. I paid extra for AllState Motor Club in a vain hope that I won't be left out in the middle of nowhere for 6 hours when I need help. Odds are I will still be left out in the middle of nowhere for 6 hours.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

That paper also specifically says:

"The impression that the simple analgesics have a sedative action is widely held, although we know of only one report (Eade & Lasagna, 1967) in the literature demonstrating this action in man."

Something I've had to explain even to adults in their 20s now is the concept of "Saturday morning cartoons"....just the idea that there was a programming block on all the networks on Saturday morning that showed children's cartoons, because that's not really a thing anymore.

Anything TV is going to be difficult to explain. When I tell my youngest I'm watching the Superbowl for the commercials she just gives me a weird look and walks away. But these used to be a big deal and you couldn't watch previews of them on YouTube for weeks in advance that completely ruined any surprise. "TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING!" were important cultural touchstones and if you didn't watch you wouldn't know what everyone was talking about because they literally only showed these multi-million dollar advertisements once. If you happened to have a Tivo in 2004 you were like a Golden God of your Superbowl party because you could repeatedly rewind the Halftime show so all your friends could squint at your standard definition TV to see if you saw a famous person's nipple.

I feel stupider just writing that out, but that's the way things were.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Government cheese is still a thing. Because one you start a government program itís very tough to get rid of it.

And to be clear, the program is probably more for farmers than poor people.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I know a decent amount about economics, but I canít even pretend to understand farm economics.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Some thing else to consider is that US grain exports are also one of the big things that foreign nations with dollars buy, because they have dollars. Grain exports are one of the many things tied up to the dollars use as the worlds reserve currency.

That and oil. And plasma surprisingly enough.

That was the big conspiracy rumor about Gulf War 2 (or was it 1). That Saddam was going to create an alternate oil market in a denomination other than USD and the United States couldnít let that happen. No idea if thereís any truth to that, but countries buying crude in Euros would definitely make Americaís day suck.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Nerds in media today have bad haircuts and windbreakers instead of white short sleeve shirts and pocket protectors. So more Booger than Poindexter.

Also video games have become ubiquitous enough that you need desktop board gaming to signify a real nerd.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Are class rings still a thing? It just occurred to me my kid didnít even ask for one. She adamantly refused to get a Varsity letter jacket too. Do high schoolers just not care about those things anymore?

All my kids care about is being TikTok famous.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

At least back when I was in high school (2000-2004), lettermanís jackets and class rings were really expensive for most people - I want to say around $500 to get both. At my high school, it was possible for sophomores to get jackets, so you could at least amortize the value over a few years, but a class ring? Basically outdated the day you got it.

Lots of kids still spent a lot of money they - or their parents - couldnít really afford to get them, though.

Anecdotally kids are spending a lot less than I remember on stupid high school protocols. No more class rings, fewer varsity jackets, cheaper homecoming and prom dresses (my kid just ordered $30 ones off Amazon and had them altered). Yearbooks are still really expensive, but none of my kids seemed to really care about them. That's probably the next thing Millennials Wiillennials are going to kill.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I was curious if classmates.com was still a thing and I've been waiting for about 45 seconds for the screen to load so I'm thinking it maybe isn't.

No wait, it's finally coming up. And it's not rendering properly in Chrome and there are broken window placeholders. So technically it is still a thing, but not by much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, the decline of reunions is 100% "I already know what my friends look like fat and bald". It's not even a long tradition. People went ape poo poo for high school reunions from probably 1950 to the 1990's. I can't blame it on Boomers because there were plenty of Silents and Greatest gen's in on that action too, but it made absolutely no sense for Gen-X and Millennials.

We had some people who were REALLY into our class reunions, but I think they finally gave up. If I see a new post on my high school Facebook group it's because someone's dead. Nowadays any news out of my old high school is terrible. No one wants to be associated with that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Reunions were relatively popular. There were those whole cultural tropes about renting a fancy car so everyone thought you were rich. Then you had movies like Peggy Sue Got Married or Romey & Michelle. That stuff doesnít exist in a vacuum.

Something that happens once every decade canít be THAT popular. But like the Census it was something that Boomers got worked up about.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The bowling thing is no joke. My great grandfather had a moderately successful business in our town and while doing some genealogy research on newspapers.com I plugged in the company name and holy poo poo all the company bowling league results. Menís and womenís. And it was important enough to get box scores in a major newspaper. So many different teams in the 40ís and 50ís.

But like everything back then itís not a 1:1 comparison with today. A lot of people bowled, but now people do a wider variety of activities. Itís like how Michael was the most popular name with 25% of all boys. Now Noah might be the most popular boys name with 2% of all boys. The pie IS smaller, but there are more slices.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bullies donít remember they were bullies. They just think they were normal.

30 Rock touched on that in their reunion episode when it turns out Liz Lemon bullied all her classmates even though her memory was otherwise.

I made the mistake of looking up my high school bully online. Fucker has a verified Twitter check mark. Where is the justice.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

There is no reference. He killed his parents with a shotgun a year after I left, then sealed the door with plastic wrap and hosted a prom party downstairs.

I can't be the only person who read prom as something else.

I have to give extra credit to anyone who goes that extra mile and turns a difficult situation into a festive occasion.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pontius Pilate posted:

Reading this thread and then watching the finale of The Good Place made me wonder how many youths playing Madden know who he isóitís been twelve years since he did commentary and he last coached during the Carter administration. I hope they assume heís a video game designer that gets to put his name on products, like Sid Meier. Probably not, and heís probably known as some football-related guy, but what a weird fluke for a coach to have enduring fame from a (admittedly football) video game.

I think it's in part because Madden is the only NFL video game now. EA's got an exclusive contract for all the players and coaches so there aren't alternatives and EA's not going to mess with it's cash cow. I just did a quick imagine search and I don't think Madden's even been on the cover since Madden 5, so the name has nothing to do with the coach.

There used to be multiple games developed for each sport, but not anymore because the best way to grow an audience is to restrict choice.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A tiger stuffed animal instead of a tablet? I think youíre giving the next generation too much credit.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Thatíd be a lot of effort to avoid taxes when thereís a 25% VAT smiling in the corner saying, ďtry to dodge this, motherfucker.Ē

Iím going to go out on a limb and assume the tax break has an income cutoff. No C-level executives need help affording Christmas gifts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"It's 10 PM. Do you know where your children are?"

I was watching the Simpsons, the one where Bart works for the burlesque house, and they do that gag where the Kent Brockman says it and Homer replies "I told you last night, no!"

I was the only person in the room who laughed at that reference.

fake edit: looked it up on Wikipedia, and Andy Warhol did one in 1984?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0p9zJoSQTA

Wait, other cities did the whole 'It's 10pm do YOU know where your children are?' commercial PSA's also?

We had them in Atlanta because we had a serial killer who murdered 28 kids. And here I was thinking we were unique and special.