Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sort of in this vein: When my kid was pretending to take my picture, he was pantomiming using a smart phone, not holding a traditional camera to his face and pressing the shutter button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Christmas bonuses are starting to make a comeback. I got one this year instead of getting an actual raise/cost of living adjustment.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I had our taxes balanced really close. Then we had another kid, bought a house and my husband went back for a higher degree that we are paying for out of pocket.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I can see them, but they're always inverted.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure it was a blood test. The cover story most people were told was it was to make sure their blood types were compatible, not to check for diseases.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My impression is people didn't really like talking about what the blood test was really for. People knew (like doctors didn't lie) but if you were having casual conversations with people it was totally to make sure their blood types were compatible.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My grandma napped my dad/his siblings on the porch during Buffalo, NY winters. She suggested it to my mom when I was born and my mom thought she was nuts.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Alhazred posted:

There's literally no scientific reason to why we let kids sleep outside.

Research shows that babies sleep better / longer when they sleep in cold air. We've discussed this a couple of times in the parenting thread!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Scudworth posted:

Much of the world is already there my friend, in Canada using cheques for regular purchases was phased out by our national debit bank card system in the mid 80s.
I was a child then, so I have never seen cheques used in a store, so the scene where the Dude uses one to buy milk in the Big Lebowski seemed like the joke was that he was using a cheque at all, you can't use cheques in stores haha he's so high.

I keep an emergency check hidden in my wallet. It saved me one time a couple months ago. I had taken my card out of my wallet to buy something online and forgot to put it back before going to the grocery store.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When my kid mime's taking a picture, its like he's using a smartphone, not a camera.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Even doing rgb mods the picture is gonna look like poo poo compared to hooking it up to a good crt.

It's not a coincidence that LCD TV's started showing up right when the trinitron patent ran out, the fact of the matter is we as consumers got swindled by big tv. They realized they'd hit the peak with the trinitron line and couldn't figure out a way to sell more TV's. So they took lcd's made for tiny game screens and such and blew up the size and started changing all the aspect ratios on tv to make the vet's look worse. It was a concentrated effort by the tv lobby to hoodwink us into buying lcd's, and it continued with poo poo like 3d TV's, Oled, 4k, curve tv.

People are going nuts about 4k right now but if you did a double blond trial between a 4k tv and a trinitron, at least 86% of people would prefer the crt, and the ready would see no difference.

Modern tvs use a significant amount less electricity compared to older style tvs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Or an overhead projector.

We were cleaning out an old classroom at my college that my department got to take over to turn into a fancy new lab. I found an overhead projector in the closet and I was elated that they said I could keep it. They're great for painting wall murals.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The PTA at my kid's school uses funds at the end of the year to help outfit a few more classrooms with smartboards.

An interesting development at my college is we're moving away from video projectors and installing giant flatscreens instead.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When my mom was pregnant with me she worked behind the watch counter at Kmart. Selling, setting, and replacing watch batteries. Kmart paid for my mom's medical benefits. She didn't have to pay for anything out of pocket. In fact, her entire pregnancy and birth of me was 100% covered. My dad was a full time college student that worked part time. They didn't have financial support from any other family members and were able to live fine.

To a modern audience, the preceding paragraph would be confusing and seem fictional.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Men do tend to have the most shapely legs and thick long eyelashes. I have no idea why this is supposed to be a feminine trait.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

Speaking of assemblies, did anyone else have the “oh no everyone needs to report out to the football field immediately” one where there’s be a wrecked car, the SRO, and a couple of the drama kids pretending to be dead and their parents standing around screaming because supposedly, the kids had crashed their car due to drunk driving, and then the cop would be like “THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU TOO IF YOU DRIVE DRUNK” before everyone stands up and bows?

Ours was in the front of school the week of prom and the fire department used the jaws of life to cut out a student and they'd put them in the ambulance and drive them away.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I sang the smoke free class of 2000 in elementary school as well. I did graduate high school in 2000. Nice to see they recycled it for younger students too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I grew up in the north but now I live in the south. I blow a lot of people's minds when I tell them that none of my k-12 schools had air conditioning other than the library and a computer lab if it had one.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We watched Twister last night with our 8 year old. Man, that movie can be just a period piece of the 90s. So much of it is irrelevant today. Even the premise of trying to study tornadoes so a warning system can be made isn't relevant anymore because we do have a pretty robust system now.

It had been a while since I had seen it and forgot the antagonist dies in a completely over the top 90s way. He wasn't even really a bad guy!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The one near me has a nice snack area.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The first iteration was actually "bring your daughter to work day" where daughters were supposed to go to work with their mothers to see them in the workforce. This happened when I was in middle school. My mom worked in a seasonal greenhouse and it was early spring so I spent the day putting seedlings into larger pots for 8 hours in the cold. It really sucked.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

I would be very interested to know the teen pregnancy statistics of each cohort though.

Lol about that....
https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/26/12658162/robot-babies-teen-pregnancy-abortion-study

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Just LOL at the idea of drawing lines by hand with a ruler being easier than modern software.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Don't put magnets by tvs is already one.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Arivia posted:

if you show a floppy disk to a zoomer they think you 3d printed the save icon as a piece of art or something

then they have no idea what a file folder is and can't figure out where to work with software that isn't in the cloud (i wish i was making this up, i read an article about universities having to teach file/folder management in like science 101 so kids could learn how to use lab equipment)

This is my life as a community college professor that teaches an intro to programming class.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Almost every Seinfeld episode would not be an issue if they had cellphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77aZHincFCQ