Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

I saw WarGames as a kid and was confused by a scene where Matthew Broderick does a little payphone hack to make a call for free

https://youtu.be/zkMX4s6ZstQ

I had to ask my dad at the time because I had never heard of this trick but apparently it likely wouldn't have worked at the time the movie was made either.

Theres of course the added layer now that today payphones basically don't exist.

A lot of old phone/phreaking tropes persisted well past their actual lifespans. Keeping someone on the line while tracing a call is another one. If any part of the phone system was still analog, tracing took a long time because someone would have to physically take a piece of equipment into the switch center and physically check the circuits to figure out how things were connected. However, this plot device persisted long after the phone networks were almost all digital and they would just have to check the logs to know where a call came from.

A notorious case in the 80s where hackers in Germany were attacking national laboratories in the US took quite a while to solve because, while the origin of the calls was fairly easily traced to a general location in Hanover, the exchange they were calling from was still using old rotary equipment and they had to keep the hackers on the phone long enough for someone to call the exchange facility and have a tech manually trace the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Imagined posted:

In 2021 I'm p sure actual physical libraries are where homeless people and poor latchkey kids browse the internet. Everyone else uses overdrive/libby or doesn't use the library at all.

also luddites who need someplace to get physical disc movies from now that all the video stores are closed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

long distance charges in north america are still a thing that exists, even though phone numbers have no connection to your physical location and haven't since 2004 when number porting was allowed. i can only surmise that they exist primarily to rip off old people who don't know any better

1-900 numbers (and their predecessor the 976 number) are another one of those things that just kind of disappeared around the turn of the century that nobody under 30 likely has any experience with. the idea of paying per-minute for phone calls as a whole is probably something that's totally foreign to kids. even communicating internationally is free as long as you use one of the 9000 voip apps out there

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 30, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I think this is true. I work in a motel, and last week a guest asked how they could make a collect call. I didn't know, so I had to look up. "How to make a collect call" in Google gives you mostly results related to prisons.

How do you do it now? Back when there were those 10-10-220 and 1-800-collect numbers, but I assume those are long gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy_kpO7zO7g

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Court reporters still exist, but it's a whole different world from the one where every big office had a steno pool and women routinely trained in Gregg or Pitman shorthand. I bet there are fewer people who use that today than there are sheep-shearers.

I remember seeing a class on Gregg shorthand in the class listing in high school around the turn of the century. i don't know of anyone who took it, if it was even seriously offered at that point or, were someone actually interested in it for whatever reason, if they actually had someone in the building who could teach it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

But then the other half of the lessons was all that urban myth bullshit about "she smoked weed and cooked her baby because she thought it was a chicken", "he took lsd and then peeled himself because he thought he was an orange", and "dealers will give out free drugs to get you addicted".

these stories were just ahead of their time since you couldn't just go on the internet and order weird chinese "research chemicals" that do actually make you black out, order a dozen pianos and wake up tied to a bed in the hospital because you jumped out of a window and tried to eat the nurse's face

those old urban legends have nothing compared to the tales of goons on the joose

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Does anyone like gum anymore?

It feels like 20 years ago there was like multiple major gum companies that had status enough to regularly hit pop culture consciousness with their slogans or songs, that feels like that has gone away entirely. Clearly gum still exists, but it feels like america used to be really really into gum in a way it's not now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ha2eFgCPSI