Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

In air combat movies of old, when you had a good radio connection you'd call out "five by five" meaning your signal was full strength across and down the meter (green lights five across and five down)

Communication hasn't been done over radio in decades, its digital which either works flawlessly or is out completely, "five by five" is meaningless but still in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

My VCR is a top loader.

Got it from my step dad when I got a small TV in my room as a kid. When be bought it, 20 years before that, it came with a wired remote which has since been lost.

how tf do you lose a wired remote

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Guy Axlerod posted:

Yeah, the lack of dithering means games will never look right on anything but a CRT. But I enjoy having a TV that doesn't weigh hundreds of pounds and generate tons of static/attract dust.
Also will legitimately kill you if you gently caress around with its guts.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jack B Nimble posted:

Get lots of poo poo from the thrift store.
the attic (goodwill overflow) in Seattle was bought and turned in to luxury condos, Macklemores advice now lives only in song

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The literal #1 song in the country less than ten years ago was called "The Motto" and featured a motto in it. I doubt that idiom is lost on these kids today

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

yeah i'm not up on stuff that new

SA->Ask/Tell->Tell me about references in newer media lost on goons

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is correct and it is still official FAA policy that pilot and co-pilot do not eat at the same restaurant in case of food poisoning

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the bindle carried by the stereotypical hobo: red bandana pouch hung over the end of the stick. Familiar from cartoons, hasn't been seen in real life for a long time. There aren't many hobos left, but the ones that remain have some sort of bag/carrier/pack like everybody else.
there are still lots of people using Bindles.

go to Brooklyn and look for the guys with waxed moustaches and thick-rimmed glasses

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I beg you, tell me you made this up.

https://twitter.com/NYTStyles/status/642356680110551041

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fish of hemp posted:

America...have you tried to talk about these feelings to someone?

I can assure you we have not.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

more likely that you've aged out of a demographic where candy companies try to market to you, in a time when it is easier to microtarget advertising without broad cultural fads or mass-market slogans

it's this OP. Did you know 5 Below is a massive, massive company that does amazing numbers in sales and profits and has for a decade? I had no idea because it's marketed and stores are places exactly for tweens to shop there, I've literally never seen one in person.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

That is still very real. They even have high-tech ones that cry unless you hold a key in place and go off randomly at all hours.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's muscle memory from licking a pen tip/quill to get it started. Don't overthink it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

What would be the equivalent today?
the "brand ambassadors" who scan your drivers license and give you a pack of whatever B-tier tobacco is paying them that week.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

Who's the babyhead on the left?
I believe that is Squiggy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm the former Presidents height and I used to weigh over 300lbs.

Trump weighs over 300.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

REFERENCES FROM THE PAST

UNLIKELY TO CHANGE

I'LL ALWAYS REFERENCE

BURMA-SHAVE