Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
American railroads in the late 19th and early 20th centuries often allowed fruit vendors to sell their merchandise on the trains. Con artists soon perfected a scheme where one would buy a banana, eat it, leave the peel on the train’s floor, then wait for their confederate to slip on it and sue the railroad for injuries. Vaudeville comedians took the hint and started using banana peels as objects to slip on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Morton Salt’s slogan, “When It Rains It Pours,” made sense at the time it was adopted. It was one of the first table salts to be treated so that it wouldn’t get clumpy in humid conditions.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Just was thinking of The Music Man today, "Ya Got Trouble," mentions "covering up a telltale breath with Sen-Sen."

(That song is full of old references, but I think the whole darn show is intended to be kinda quaint and nostalgic. I don't know for sure, because I saw the movie exactly one time as a kid and "76 Trombones" got stuck in my head for a goddamn month, and I'm not risking that again.)

And thanks to the Internet Archive, you, too, can memorize jokes from Capt. Billy’s Whiz Bang.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

When the movie “Splash” came out in 1984, it was a joke that a mermaid would take the first name “Madison.”

“Madison” became one of the top 25 most popular girl’s names in 1996 and hasn’t left the top 25 since.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Greyhound racing, as depicted in the first episode of The Simpsons, is now illegal in almost every state.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now we get the actual lyrics (or close enough) but with excruciatingly detailed footnotes by some rando analysing them.

I wonder if the rando footnotes, like the boring personal stories on recipe sites, exist entirely for SEO purposes.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

BalloonFish posted:

That's like how two numbers in The Music Man are basically just lists of 1900s Midwest Americana references. Really the whole show is a 'nostalgia for that time you don't properly remember because you're not quite old enough' fest.

There are several issues of Capt. Billy’s Whiz Bang on Project Gutenberg.

Expect Prohibition jokes and mild naughtiness.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

More well-known music than you’d think comes from stock music libraries. I think most Americans would recognize Heavy Action or The Big One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

Also happens to be the combination on Bart Simpson's school locker

And the phone number to call if you need dirty deeds done dirty cheap.