Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narmer
Dec 11, 2011

whydirt posted:

Our 2 1/2yo is still 100% non-verbal and it seems like the earliest openings for ABA therapy in the area aren't for another couple months. He would be getting early intervention services from school, but lol COVID means we just get an hour of video call coaching. Also, lol at the autism books for parents suggesting we use our network of friends and family to get relief right now.

He is at least using his visual PECS tokens from speech therapy to request certain snacks and toys, so he definitely has the desire to communicate. I just want to hear his little voice. :unsmith:

cinnamon rollout posted:

Good luck, we have a non verbal three year old and so far we have had the only ABA provider in the area tell us they don't feel like taking our insurance because apparently BCBS federal is too much of a hassle to process, we filed a complaint with our insurance for all the use that is, and we are currently fighting with the school system to get our son a whole hour of speech therapy, while they repeatedly try to blow us off.
I know services are really location dependant, I hope you live somewhere better than we do!

Please be aware that ABA therapy is enormously controversial in the autistic community. There are many people who feel they were abused and traumatized by their experiences with ABA. Even some former ABA practitioners have repudiated it. I would strongly recommend you research ABA very thoroughly before enrolling a child in it. Here is a link to a good list of introductory resources on this: https://stopabasupportautistics.home.blog/2019/08/11/the-great-big-aba-opposition-resource-list/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU