Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

On the trans topic, an interesting tidbit, and one where no one is quite certain why, those who are transgender show a higher degree of autism spectrum disorders than you find in just a general slice of the population.

This is a near decade-old study, but I vibe pretty hard with the term "gender incoherence".

An interesting sidebar is the suggestion that autistic people tend to look younger than their age for likewise chemical reasons. I've seen autistic people saying they get mistaken for high schoolers or college students, but it's usually written off as a matter of behavior or clothing. I know me and my more autistic-seeming family members have plenty of stories of people thinking we're ten years younger than we are. Anyone else in that boat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
During the pandemic I've noticed that my fits of overstimulation have fallen off almost completely, whereas a ton of presumably non-autistic people are copping to poor mental health from understimulation. Disability/neurological advantages exist within the context of the environment, I suppose

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I’ve noticed a similar thing with gender too; I’m a woman that has always gotten along more with men and the autistic men I know tend to have more woman friends. There’s intragender expectations that are hard for us but won’t be noticed by other genders (or if noticed, no one cares as much).

Well, that's an unexpected insight. I just assumed it was an autistic tendency to be trans or trans-adjacent, but on reflection this probably contributes as well

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
I don't know if I'm monotone or not, I've always appreciated the lyricism of speech with well-executed varied pitch

of course, the haphazard application of it is probably one of the things that contributes to regularly getting asked if I have an accent. you can have a sentence with completely american vowels and consonants but if you accidentally drop the pitch of the last syllable in a question ("did you bring the thing?" vs "did you bring the thing?") people will clock it as a british accent. people by and large seem to have no idea what we're doing with our voices unless one of our invisible standards is broken and then it's like "I don't know why this person's voice sounds weird, but it's weird as hell." maybe you can grab one thing like "monotone" to diagnose, but a lot of the time people will just conclude the speaker is Not From Around Here

after years of study I have deduced that the second thing that contributes to regularly being asked if I have an accent is pedantic pronunciation, the third is not liking flat/nasal vowels, and the fourth is being from the ozarks

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
every time I hear someone who relies on hints instead of forthright communication irritably saying "a girl/guy doing X means s/he wants you to Y," I wonder how many times the deep, awkward pauses in the midst of what had seemed to be normal conversations have been a result of me unwittingly triggering a heterosexual cutscene and then not playing it out

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
This list is so hazardous to pedants that I'm genuinely starting to wonder if it was built that way on purpose as part of the screening

quote:

22. I have to 'act normal' to please other people and make them like me.
54. I get along with other people by following a set of specific rules that help me look normal.
people who could answer "never" to this:
people who get along with everyone just fine without deliberately modifying their behavior
people who are like "well, most people do react better when I put on the normal act, but I don't have to do it to get people to like me; I have two entire friends I drop the mask around"
people who are like "no, I do not feel I 'have' to make other people like me, and so do not mask"

quote:

25. It is difficult for me to understand how other people are feeling when we are talking.
39. I cannot tell when someone is flirting with me.
44. I cannot tell if someone is interested or bored with what I am saying.
68. I can tell when someone says one thing but means something else.
people who could answer that they definitely easily understand the other person's intentions:
people who actually understand the other person's intentions
people who directly ask the other person about their intentions and accept the response as fact
people who do not know they are misinterpreting the other person's intentions, because no one ever told them so directly

quote:

10. I always notice how food feels in my mouth. This is more important to me than how it tastes.
19. I am very sensitive to the way my clothes feel when I touch them. How they feel is more important to me than how they look.
20. I like to copy the way certain people speak and act. It helps me appear more normal.
two separate statements! conflicting answers for each!!

quote:

28. It is very difficult for me to understand when someone is embarrassed or jealous.
ambiguous as to whether this is understanding that someone is embarrassed/jealous or sympathizing with why they are

etc etc

Tjadeth fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 13, 2022