Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm just dicking around with D2 and I'm trying to figure something out before I get too invested in it.

I notice that Shadowkeep and Forsaken are both like expansions(?) I can buy but I'd have to buy them for every platform I want to play on? Like if I get them on steam I can't hop on to my Xbox and play them if I am understanding that correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

yes, although;

there's a bunch of stuff that will carry over. Like if you get an exclusive piece of gear, you can equip it on any platform, it won't be locked.

I think this also works for quests, for the most part you can pick a quest up on platform A, and then do the steps on B, though you might have to with A for unique missions and the like.

Hmm thanks! This seems less than ideal I guess.

Why wouldn't they just unify all the platforms? I mean I know why but it still makes me question it.

I'm gonna keep dicking around with it and see if it sticks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Idgi

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh poo poo lol

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Bungie has been bungling both the new-player and veteran-player experiences in different ways. It's definitely bad how they just drop new players into the game, and expect them to find a rando NPC in order to play the original campaign and know what the hell's going on.

This x100.

I’m still not 100% sure I’m even on the right track. Like I played D1 and I don’t remember starting like this. I’m kinda bumbling around trying to figure things out. I’m having fun shooting poo poo but a lot of stuff isn’t clear and I have no idea if I’m doing the main quest or not.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey dudes. My brother is trying to build a PC to game with me. Whenever he loads up Destiny it’s all glitchy and the shadows are popping all over and it looks awful.

He has a Radeon RX 580 for his GFX and an AMD Ruben 5 2600x 6-core processor. His GFX card says it should be able to run the game fine.

We are getting the same problems with R6Siege but basically the same issue.

https://twitter.com/prettyuglyart/status/1266142379695910913?s=21

He tried walking into the building and two robots flew up to him and the stuttering is so bad.

Have you tried running 3dmark?

Is that graphics card new?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah he bought it new. We don’t know what 3D Mark is

It’s a benchmark program. Google it and run it. It’s on steam too if you have that installed.

It should give you an idea How the system is running.

It will also tax the system so if it crashes you’ll know something is up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

If you're not sure if you're doing the campaign, you're almost certainly not. Did you do an opening level where the tower was invaded and destroyed and you got thrown off a roof by Darth Vader and left for dead and had to very very very slowly walk through sewers until you picked up a gun in the mountains?

There's three campaigns available for free from a vendor in the east side of the tower.

Nope! Went through the opening part and got put in the tower. Then got a mission to go to EDZ and talk to a dude in a church.

It doesn’t make any sense actually lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Discospawn posted:

Yeah, this is definitely the experience that most New Light players have, and It's not only confusing but also kind of boring. The mandatory tutorial quests branch into several different paths of other quest chains, most of which involve grinding content without enhancing your understanding of the game (from either a story-based or gameplay-mechanic perspective). The actual first 'campaign' mission can be purchased from an NPC in The Tower, on the far East side of the map (where no other relevant NPCs are).

Ok thanks I’m gonna go see if I can figure that out because right now none of the story makes any sense and I’m just doing random stuff for no real reason.

Why wouldn’t they make the campaign like the first quest you get?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

so they are like What the gently caress Is This!

Yeah that's me.

I remember some stuff from D1 and I'm just completely lost.

Thanks for the help though!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ha! I found the quest lady but only because I had twitch prime loot to claim.

I’ve started the first campaign and wtf they should have lead with this no question. It’s so much better.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok maybe I’m confused with the most recent news but should I not bother buying the two expansions that are currently on sale? I really don’t play that much but it seems like if I did buy them they’d just be going away in 3 months?

I do enjoy playing the game and I’d buy the expansions (or at least the first one) but if they are EOL then I really don’t see the point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ham posted:

The destinations being vaulted are all related to the F2P portion of the game, replacing them in the F2P portion is the Cosmodrome coming back from D1. Forsaken content is not being vaulted presumably until September 2021, and Shadowkeep until September 2022.

Ok so it’s safe to buy them then. Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I know I've said it before but holy poo poo does this game have a poo poo NPE.

I played a good 20 hours of D1 and I kinda remember the story (I guess) but I'm like 3 missions into D2 and none of this makes any sense.

Space darth vader is up to some poo poo.. ok cool whatever. Then though! I get kicked off earth and go to Titan to fight some other weird dudes?

Fallen? Forsaken? What?

I love the shooty parts but from what I can see the story is a drat mess for a new player.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My main point is / was that there is a story there and it’s incredibly difficult for a new player going in fresh to a. Get started on the story line and b. Figure out what the gently caress is going on.

I guess I’m playing the game wrong though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Horizon Burning posted:

It's even worse now that the Red War isn't something you start with doing. You're just dumped in the Tower with... Strikes and Gambit and Raids and huh? What's going on? What's a Traveler? As a returning player, it seems a very weird decision to scrap the Red War and replace it with what I'm pretty sure is the opening sequence of Destiny 1.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I started a third character and the new player experience is loving insanely bad in D2 now. Its not as bad as getting into PSO2 but could be just as bad.

Yeah this.

Like I’m good now but only because this thread helped me out lol. It just feels like there is a lot of lore here but the game is doing a bad job presenting it.

I swear D1 started out a lot different.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Djarum posted:

The original base game is badd and honestly if I could have skipped it I would have. The expansions are fantastic though.

I’m playing through it right now and I’m not going to say it’s bad because I’m enjoying it but what I can say is at least the game walks you through it and gives you the story.

D2 is just a little frustrating because it does a terrible job walking you through the story. Like I just finished a mission on titan and it kinda just leaves you there? You talk to the mission giver and she just gives you bounties in the area.

It’s just annoying because it’s not fluid in the slightest.

Shooting poo poo and getting new guns is fun though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Obviously the solution is to give the player a choice between starting at the beginning of the campaign or skipping straight to the endgame.

This would also let veterans start new characters without having to play through the entire story or the garbage New Light tutorial.

TBH it really is as simple as this. Like have a fuckin pop up asking if you want to start the story fresh and then it’s all right there.

I also bought the forsaken and shadow keep expansions and legit have no idea how to access them. :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this game is whack.

I played yesterday and was doing the red war campaign.

I log in today and I’m greeted with a FMV about a pyramid and then transported to IO?!

Now I’m in the middle of some mission with some incredibly bullet sponge dudes and I dunno what’s happening.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I guess that was the intro quest for the season but the season started like days ago? I dunno.

I still can’t find the expansion quests and I checked the vendor.

Edit: I bought them through steam and they should register automatically right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah NGL 2-3 hours a day is a lot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK so I swear I'm not stupid but... how the gently caress do you do these?

Tracking it seems to do nothing and I can't find any locations on any maps for them?

What am I missing here?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

marcus, if I ever get around to writing my epic screed on the tragedy of Destiny 2, hundreds of pages long, self-published on Kindle and purchased by zero people, remind me that I need to interview you to truly understand the state of the New Player Experience :allears:

(I hope they clean it up in Beyond Light but I'm sure there will still be random legacy bullshit that drops 750s flooding your inventory)

Please do because it’s so frustrating! I paid 1k for these bounties but there is 0 indications on what to do with them even if you track them!

poo poo I even googled hold the line challenge and it makes even less sense!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OK thanks I saw that but I wasn't sure because its not tagged in the UI.

So like I'd need to do this raid to attempt the bounty?

I mean I'm not going to do it after reading that but I guess that I do that raid in the SS there and do the challenge in the raid?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

oh hey it's me from 9 months ago or whenever, trying to figure this game out and realizing that google is required every several seconds because it explains infuriatingly little. yeah, every raid has a bunch of challenges with names like that which are basically optional and more difficult ways of completing certain encounters (what each challenge actually requires you to do is not explained in the game either). To do that one, you would indeed have to do scourge of the past and work with your group to complete it. you can ignore those challenge bounties unless you're already planning on playing the raid regardless of them, and usually the group will know whether they care about doing them or not.

THANK YOU!

Jesus not even google would explain that. I'm not going to bother though because yeah I'll do some world quests with people but I'm not really ready to try and "raid" with randos.

Last question which I'm 99% sure is no but.... there isn't like an auction house or like gear vendor right? I'm sitting at like 832 gear level and I was curious if you could buy anything or its 100% relying on drops.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VodeAndreas posted:

There's vendors on every planet that will give you a selection of set and rotating gear, along with more items from material hand ins.

Outside of the vendors in the tower though most of it will be year 1 gear and mostly obsolete compared to contemporary items you'd get from random drops.

Zavala and Shaxx let you hand in vanguard and Crucible tokens for loot (20 per random item), banshee will take gunsmith parts you get from dismantling unwanted gear (100 per) - rahool will take legendary shards but only gives lower light gear, should be from the current drop pool though.

Ok thanks that helps. I’ll figure all that out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi I’m back!

Guess what the loving problem is now?

I google what the hell to do with these things since having a line in the tool tip is way too user friendly apparently.... and...

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/256272975

I guess I’m stuck?

I found the drifter but he just gives a gambit quest.

What the gently caress? I ain’t starting a second character for this poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Just to the left of the drifter should be a little device that allows you to decode them. It looks like an orange machine.

Oh FFS.

Thanks I’ll try it in the morning. Nothing I read said that. Everything said to talk to the crypt people.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok thanks for the help with the umbral engrams but it doesn’t look like I can use the machine till I finish the “In the face of darkness” quest.

Why the game can’t tell you that I have no idea.

Hopefully the bug is actually fixed because if I have to start a second character to fix it like before I’m kinda done.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

EDIT: The bug was that you had to pick up an umbral engram from Drifter to unlock the decoder, and you could not pick up the engram with a full inventory. The decoder now unlocks at that step (rather than the step immediately after), so you can decode your engrams and then pick up the engram from drifter.

Actually while the bug was “fixed” I had to delete an Engram from my inventory before it would let me finish the step.

I didn’t actually check to see if it would let me use the machine before completing it though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok I think I need these explained to me.

What’s the point of them if they are all way lower in power?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

1) those are holdovers from year 1. also notice how it only has one perk? that's cuz year 1 weapons only had 1 perk usually. don't buy it unless you want to fill out the collections for some reason

2) you can infuse, so it being low level is irrelevant

OK I don't think the game has taught me about infusing yet (haha it never will). Off to google!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

when you select a piece of gear, there's a button on the left side, next to the mod/cosmetic slots and masterwork icon on weapons. mouse over this, and you'll see a selection of other gear from the same, uh, slot. like energy weapons, or gauntlets, etc.

you can take a higher level piece of gear, and infuse it into the lower level one. this destroys the high level one, but upgrades the low level's power to match what it was.

like if you put a 998 helmet A into a 750 helmet B, the helmet A will be gone, but helmet B will now be 998. this costs some resources, most notably the upgrade modules which you get from gunsmith weekly bounties or by buying them from him

e; if you infuse exactly the same kind of gear into a copy of itself, it costs glimmer instead of upgrade cores ie. spare rations into another spare rations

OK awesome! This helps a lot and makes things more clear.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I’m playing with headphones and I’m really enjoying all of the audio work.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wuggles posted:

I have an Xbox but it’s not 60fps and loading from an SSD :(

I have an Xbox X and it’s running at 60 I think?

Obviously this doesn’t help you if you don’t have an X but you could get one and an SSD lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi,

Either I am loving stupid or this game hates me because I can’t decode the Umbral Engrams again...

Like what am I missing? I literally did this last week..

Edit: never loving mind apparently there is another quest step to open it again after you’ve already opened it

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 24, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

If anybody cares given the current mess regarding Lowtax and more domestic abuse:

BreadnRoses already has a lot of people who've moved over, seems rad and actually has good QOL features SA doesn't have (dark mode is freakin' nice). If you want to register they're letting everyone in for free while GBS burns and the entire admin/mod team is in some kind of standoff with Lowtax for apparently beating a third woman so yeah.

There's a video games forum. Let's get a Destiny thread up and running if there isn't one already. FlyMolo already mentioned what Lowtax has done so now's the chance to hop over somewhere better before more poo poo goes down. Everyone's cool and it would suck seeing the community disappear. The new place is already very active and people seem to be flooding over.

I really don’t think a heavy political site with some video game sub forum is a great replacement :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BnR

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FWIW I have both installed and I’m sitting at about 106gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wtf is “The Gamer Word”??