Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Wow, Nightmare of Phogoth is crazy overtuned!

It turns out phogoth without a fireteam to distract him is a huge piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The first third of red war is pretty great, the middle third is really aimless outside the almighty mission and the last third is godawful except the very last mission

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Protip always play the story missions underleveled for the first time so everything is harder and feels more dramatic

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It’s kind of confusing because the rule of thumb for which guns and armor to save is backwards. For guns a purple weapon with good perks is definitely worth saving whereas exotics can be freely sharded and repulled. Meanwhile legendary armor pieces get replaced faster than you can blink, while exotic armor with good perks is worth its weight in gold and should never be scrapped

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bleck posted:

Lose as in you get different rolls, or lose as in you don't get any rolls at all?

All exotic armor pieces have a “base” set of perks that you can see in your collections tab, and if you pull the armor from there it will always have those and only those perks.

Exotic armor you find randomly in the world has different randomly rolled perks and can sometimes be much much better than the baseline.

note: I’m not sure how armor 2.0 changed this if at all

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

I mean idgaf about lore, I just wanna shoot stuff outside of like, strikes and whatever and I don't particularly care about gambits or the crucible. Are they at least good shooting gallery fodder or should I stick to my "camping public events" meta that's gotten me this far?

They tend towards the easier side of things in general but there’s some very good set pieces throughout the campaigns

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Osiris is easily the most skippable of all the campaigns; it has zero impact on the plot for any of the other expansions, Mercury is fun for all of 5 minutes before you’ve seen its entirety, and the two best missions get recycled as strikes so you still see that content anyway

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

el B posted:

Not to be confused with green icons flashing, because it wants you to spend your tokens to gamble for poo poo rewards

tbf there are some very cool viable gun rolls that sadly can only be obtained with a prayer to banshee and an offering of 10000 gun parts

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AndrewP posted:

one more question:

are there certain things I should wait until I'm 900 to cash in so as not to waste them on my low level or whatever?

If you’re planning on really min maxing and are hitting the cap then don’t pick up any of the weekly challenge rewards (obviously pick them up before the Tuesday reset)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ellipson posted:

PVP NERDERY WARNING

If you’re stepping into PvP for the first time, here’s some good guns to take with you! Right now, the meta is dominated by pulse rifles and hand cannons for primaries, and shotguns, snipers, and fusion rifles (roughly in that order) see play in the special slot. Heavies are typically machine guns and grenade launchers, with a few different exotic rocket launchers seeing use as well.

Once you’ve graduated from blues and your first legendary drops, there’s lots of fine tuning you can do on perks. There’s so much to list here when you get into purples that you’re better off asking specific questions on discord rather than reading a massive guide based on one person’s opinion; I've put some notes on preferred stats for each of these weapon types.

Pulse Rifles

Looking at Aggressive Burst and Adaptive Frame rifles here. I personally prefer the Aggressive Burst, but Bygones (Gambit Purple) is the canonical “easy gun” so your mileage may vary. For stats, you want range and stability.

We’ve only got adaptive options as far as blues/greens goes. If I was going for a blue primary, Encore-25 is my choice:

Kinetic: PSI Termina II (Green)/Bayesian MSU (Blue)
Energy: Encore-25 (Blue)

Hand Cannons

110 and 180 RPM hand cannons have their niches, but people mostly focus on 140’s and 150’s. Most of the meta stuff falls in this category for a reason. As you might expect, 140’s trade range for a slightly higher time to kill as compared to the 150’s. Right now, a 150 (Spare Rations) is probably the most dominant purple primary in the game.

I’d recommend using a pulse if you truly only have access to blues/greens, but if you insist: any 140 or 150 blue/green can work. Put the longest range scope option on it and have fun!

Shotguns

There’s two dominant classes of shotguns in PvP right now: Precision Frame and Aggressive Frame. No good Precision Frame shotguns in the leveling pool, so check your collections for Botheration Mk. 28. This is a strong option for getting one shot kills at a decent range. Also popularized by good players smurfing/playing on other people’s accounts; seeing this in competitive is usually a good sign of a smurf. For legendary drops, you want to be maxing range without taking Smoothbore as a perk.

Sniper

Very much a feel weapon; the biggest thing is having something with snapshot, quickdraw, or 90+ handling for quickly scoping in. Adaptive and Rapid Fire frames are the most popular, but more than any type of gun, this category is about finding a weapon you click with. The scope itself (both the zoom level and the crosshair) might be the most important facet of the gun.

The Aachen-LR2 (also appears in both slots, but I think the energy version is a lot rarer/may not even drop anymore) is a great choice that I used as my kinetic sniper up until Revoker came out. Snapshot, clear scope/crosshairs, low zoom. Highly recommended. Range/Handling are both perfectly good stats for snipers; again, it's about feel more than anything!

Heavy Grenade Launcher

Even though they are harder to use, I’d recommend folks pick up a heavy grenade launcher for their purple slot, so you can start working towards one of the most fun weapons in the game: Mountaintop!

Luckily, there’s a great blue option here: Plemusa-B has the most important perk on grenade launchers, and that’s proximity detonation. You can also choose between two reasonable barrels; optimize for blast radius or velocity. Really a personal preference, but I’d probably recommend the default blast radius barrel when starting out.

BONUS: MENAGERIE poo poo

There’s this cool piece of content you have access to called the Menagerie! It’s on Nessus and super fun. Menagerie has some really excellent PvP guns in it once you have it unlocked. You can use https://chalice.recipes/ to figure out how to fish for certain guns and masterworks. We just finished the Golden Age of farming Menagerie drops, so I'm not sure how populated it'll be, but with all the new folks I'd expect queues to be at least ok.

Stuff worth picking up for PvP:

Beloved - Energy Adaptive Sniper - get at least snapshot or quickdraw.
Twilight Oath - Energy Rapid Fire Sniper - max handling, as snapshot only appears on the curated roll
Austringer - Kinetic 140 Hand Cannon
Waking Vigil - Energy 150 Hand Cannon
Imperial Decree - Aggressive Kinetic Shotgun - look for range perks/barrels
Dust Rock Blues - Precision Kinetic Shotgun - look for range perks/barrels
Erentil FR4 - Energy Fusion Rifle - For Degenerates

Random thoughts: doing the beginning of the Black Armory content is highly recommended, because the Hammerhead MG is a great default choice for the heavy slot. As you play and acquire purples with the same archetype as the above blues, you can almost always switch over to them. The only exception I'd make is for the Aachen-LR2 in the sniper slot.

good poo poo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Huh I figured they'd have started it when the raid was beaten.

The vex event itself isn’t live yet, you can just pick up bounties and see the rewards

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

you could be like me and have a nearly capped quests tab and not be able to get more than like 5 new bounties at a time :shepface:

probably should admit to myself im never gonna do these pinnacle quests

Pro quest inventory management tip: abandon everything that says “complete the so and so Triumph”. You can always pick the quest back up from the vendor once you actually complete the triumph and then claim it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

LLSix posted:

Newbie question.

How does the Hunter dodge power work? If you're playing on a gamepad, the one that's triggered in other classes by holding down B (same power slot as Titan Barrier and Warlock healing ring).

I've never seen it trigger and holding down B while getting shot at just makes me crouch.

Double tap the button

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Duodecimal posted:

What I find interesting/ annoying is that the only thing you know about the Collapse is that it was so intensely catastrophic that everyone in the Golden Age with first-hand experience of it was annihilated. There is no extant account of what actually happened.

We know a couple of things, like the fact that when the battle was lost Rasputin calculated that the traveler would most likely flee, and turned its weapons on it shortly before being disconnected

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Peewi posted:

I read Book of Sorrows and it was neat, but I don't feel like any of it is represented in the video game I'm playing.

Apparently Oryx actually talks when you fight him in Destiny 1. Are there any other cases of Hive or Taken talking in-game?

Xol, one of the hive worm gods, gets some lines during Warmind

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Peewi posted:

Is that a thing they did with Forsaken?

Sort of.

Forsaken Spoilers:

The awoken secretly have small fortresses in tiny bubbles of space time sealed off from the outside, where they keep their weapons, research, schools, etc. In forsaken the endgame area was the Dreaming City, their most sacred of these little micro universes. It was first revealed in the raid that the creature that helped build it, a wish granting space dragon named riven, had been Taken. When the fireteam of guardians finally kill riven it grants one last wish, based on the desire of the guardians to “save” the city (and depending on your interpretation of guardian motivations, the wish to grind for new gear) which ended up releasing the taken on the entire city. So over the next three weeks guardians fought the scorn, taken, and the hive, with each week the taken blights spreading more and more across the city. In the final week, they unlocked the Shattered Throne, a 3 man dungeon (harder than a strike not quite as intense as a raid) and were able to kill the main baddie, Dul Incaru.

Unfortunately there was another catch to Riven’s last wish. After killing Dul Incaru the entire city and all the awoken within it got trapped in a 3 week long groundhogs day esque curse. Every three weeks the events play out the same but with the awoken remembering everything that happened. Guardians could do things differently each week because of Light, but the awoken are trapped there unable to change their actions despite their memories of each week.

e: anyway all of this was stuff that didn’t happen until after the raid launched and we know we have a similar dungeon to Shattered Throne coming up for shadowkeep

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Jinnigan posted:

I did The Red War, which feels like the really important piece of story to explain "why things are the way they are now." I know that I could just buy Shadowkeep and jump into the new content. However my question is how 'core' are the other campaigns to the storyline? Will I be real confused and context-less (or have the other campaigns spoiled) if I haven't played Warmind or any of the Forsaken stuff?

CoO and Warmind are incredibly skippable and have no real plot developments, Forsaken is worth playing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Sekenr posted:

There is also a golden age era AI that originally was set up to spy on awoken colony ship but somehow managed to integrate itself into that hosed up reality that Mara inhabits and is steering the events to repeat 3 week cycle because ending it with Riven's death would somehow doom humanity. It also says in the lore book that if you reach LL 999 and solo kill Dul Incaru you will get the "true ending" for dreaming city :D

All of this is fake news spread by the low-energy Savathun and her failing Hive

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What’s the difference between gambit and gambit prime?

The content of the mode is still deposit motes, kill boss, invade enemy team

Gambit prime then has armor sets that you grind up which give you bonuses to certain roles in the gambit prime match (invader, guy who kills taken, guy who deposits lots of motes, etc.) and the only way to get higher tiers of the armor and the higher tier benefits was to play the worst matchmaking mode in history: Reckoning

Gambit Prime does have good guns that now drop from normal matches, and some people prefer the 1 long round format, but there’s a reason drifters season was the low point of last year

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Arrath posted:

So I'd stopped playing after Warmind and finally picked this up on PC now that it's free to play, transferred my save over.

This game is buttery smooth on PC, its super impressive. Fuckin around on the moon I got the last few bits to turn in the prophecy verse I had unfinished from when I'd stopped. Turns out its a dope SMG with Graverobber. I just run around punching things to reload and never, ever running out of ammo as a warlock trying the new tree. It's great.

Then I did my first black forge thingy. The ignition was pretty dope, tho I hadn't the faintest clue what I was doing beyond playing shoot n punch with endless hordes of vex, and hucking orbs at the hoop thingy down below. I guess if I nailed the hail mary and they went in it made progress? Else the one blueberry down there was doing whatever you're supposed to do with those things I was throwing his way.

Now I have a machine gun again. :getin:

Thunderlord is back, right? I need it in my life.

If you like prophecy weapons then boy do I have good news for you about shadowkeep

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Deakul posted:

I'm so nervous to try a raid with how everyone keeps mentioning "if x knows what do" or "if everything is done right" and the whole hour+ long investment... I don't want to be a burden in my first raid and waste everyone's time. :(

watch a YouTube video or read a good guide, don’t join any groups that say KWTD in the title, and just let them know it’s your first time when you join and someone will usually be happy to help you learn

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also: for any people doing raids for the first time I highly recommend Scourge of the Past. Not only is it quick and relatively easy, but most of the fights have a really simple job for a newbie. The first fight you stand on a roof and shoot vandals while someone else reads a map, the second chest is a sparrow obstacle course, the third chest you just run around killing fallen and then shoot a big servitor when someone tells you to, and then you’re at the final fight which is the only one you really have to learn.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Ghost has been hacked at least twice now. This and Mercury. Anyone know if he was hacked again some other time?

One of the vanilla adventures on Io, the one with the music that causes the vex to malfunction

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The best use of finishers is as Commander Titans; melee the enemy to apply the sticky effect, then roundhouse kick them back into their friends and watch them explode in a shower of purple before they hit the ground

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I love the hand cannon nerf.

Maybe it's just because the "meta" hasn't crystallized yet, but I've never seen so many different kinds of guns in cru. Lots of pulse, mida, sunshot, sweet fuckin business, people are finally getting wild with it. Way more fun than Season of the Spare Rations.

To be fair the meta was turned entirely on its head when it became Season of the Spare Rations and Sometimes Austringers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

For doing the 1-2 punch + shoulder charge combo, is there a specific mod I should use like hipfire grip or sprint grip?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Knowing Bungie their solution is going to be a phone app that lets you manage all your bounties

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Total points is super unimportant, or at least a very distant third place behind correct element, and correct stat distribution

But element preference is just based on what armor mods you personally own right? Eventually if you acquired every armor mod then wouldn’t element not really matter?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

I dont like random rolls on armor

I like it because I can obsessively save all the rolls where it’s like +26 mobility so I can roleplay Doom guy on my titan

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Void titans are cool but it’s hard to beat bottom tree striker’s never stop punching everything ethos

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks. How do I get mods?

Banshee in the tower is always offering a rotating random weapon mod and armor mod, which you can buy with mod components. You can get mod components by completing his daily bounties.

You can also go see whatever the Black Armory exo lady’s name is; she offers a blind random black armory weapon mod. These are mods that generally are more specific/niche but have some really strong effects (things like increasing the rampage perk duration, increasing the damage bonus from the surrounded perk, etc.) Note that although you can buy as many mods as you want from her, the component cost goes up each time per day, so it’s almost never worth getting more than one at a time. She also sells you mod components directly, costing weapon parts and legendary shards. I’m not sure whether or not you need Forsaken to have access to her inventory

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if the phrase “time works the same way” doesn’t make it into any piece of lore this season then Seth Dickenson might have to have his goon status revoked

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

This sounds amazing.

You also can throw on a black armory mod to either make the rampage effect last longer or make the firefly explosions bigger and stronger

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Is field prep really that good? I've been using autoloading holster instead.

The core damage combo is spike grenades/hard launch/full court. The second perk is really just personal preference. Field prep is just generally good but other good options are rangefinder, threat detector, rampage, and probably another couple that I’m forgetting.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Is there a good randomized legendary sword that is easily farmable?

The menagerie heroic swords have some cool unique perks, otherwise your best bet is black armory

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Draxion posted:

I just use a moon sword (because it's got a climbing pick strapped to the top) with whirlwind strikes and the ammo refund thing, is there a better perk setup? It doesn't feel like there's so many sword perks that it's especially tricky to find a particular one.

Black armory sword could roll with surrounded which combined with a surrounded mod could put out insane damage numbers but idk how well it survived the nerfs to all the damage perks.

The menagerie titan heavy sword can roll a cool perk where if you use a heavy attack that spends the last of your ammo it does an absolute monstrous amount of damage

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope they nerf recluse into the dirt, it’s such an unambiguous upgrade over every other possible legendary SMG

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I hope they buff it AGAIN next season!

But imagine the abomination of a world where nothing can end and no choice can be preferred to any other. Imagine the things that would suffer and never die. Imagine the lies that would flourish without context or corrective. Imagine a world without nerfs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lmao finally someone brave enough to take Eternal Warrior down a peg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Crown is a fun good raid and gahlran phase 1 is an excellent boss fight because you can use almost any guns you want