Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orv
May 4, 2011

plainswalker75 posted:

If Minaj is still a thing, does that mean I can still keep working on tributes for the bad juju catalyst, or am I screwed until it enters the general loot table?

Everything from the first two years of the game and from Shadowkeep are permanent to the game (barring some bizarre future occurrence that doesn't really need to be considered atm). Only the seasonal stuff will be impermanent and even then the loot from those modes will eventually return, while the modes themselves will not. You have the rest of Destiny 2's lifespan to earn anything you missed from Y1 and Y2.

My broad, wholly unsupported assumption is that each year's expansion content will also be permanent, since it's where they'll add a new patrol space and long-term grind while seasons (again barring another radical content delivery change) will continue to be ephemeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vadun posted:

Are entitlements cross platform too, or just save?

Shadowkeep and everything before it is platform dependent but rumblings (possibly confirmed I forget) are that seasons following Shadowkeep will not be.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Failson posted:

New players, and especially new F2P'ers: Go to the rights side of the tower, talk to the only NPC there, start with the red war, and do all the campaigns.

They're worth doing for the introductions to each world, some very pretty skyboxes, and unique content.

Once those are all done, they open up adventures that IIRC, were almost all more interesting than the actual campaigns themselves.

Plus it gives you a through-line of stuff to do until you get the feel of the game.

I think this is tremendously bad advice because it traps (well, "traps" they can go do something else but still) a new player in some of the game's worst content in Y1 campaigns and some of it's most linear content in the Forsaken campaign for upwards of fifteen-ish hours. Part of why New Light is so good is that it has all of these options for people to find what part of Destiny they like and just do that, while having the things there to branch out into as they like, need something or want more.

I think you definitely should play the campaigns eventually, if you end up caring about the story or just want to do a Bungie campaign because story foibles aside they are one of those for the most part - quality shootman rooms chained together - but yeah, don't do that first and only or at least only.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mango Polo posted:

Out of curiosity, for a player just starting out now with only the base game + Forsaken: can they start on any of the season stuff right away (e.g. Black Armory's machine gun frame, Opulence's Calus stuff) or do they need to do some campaign prerequisites?

There is a lead-in quest for both of those but now that the Black Armory lead-in has been significantly cut down they'll both take a matter of a half hour at most to unlock and start doing. That said if there are particular triggers to begin that content other than "Go talk to Ada" (in the tower on the farthest left icon) or "Go talk to whatshisface" (on a Jabba the Hutt barge on Nessus at the top right most teleport point) I don't know what they are.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All Y1 and Y2 raids can be done by even the newest of new new light people right off the bat. That said raids effectively don't have matchmaking, though who knows maybe guided games are really popping now, so you need to find a team.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's also entirely possible there won't be a D3. Destiny is already a decade old on the Bungie end and they started saying just last week that they plan to have "a new game" out by 2025. Certainly that could be more Destiny but I'd bet even odds it won't be.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Do powerful rewards set their power level when you complete the associated weekly, or when you visit the vendor?

In other words, when you get the notification that you've done 20 bounties and Ikora has a powerful for you, is it better to go get immediately, or to wait until you've hit your first 900-power reward so she'll give you a 903 or so?

Everything else sets its power when it drops, not when you open it, so I have to imagine weeklies set their power on completion but don't quote me on it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's a piece in the Drifter lore that mentions him and his fireteam freezing to death repeatedly which seems super fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean isn't freezing to death meant to be one of the more peaceful ways to die. Def beats dying of hunger over and over.

I mean you hear something like that a lot but I'm gonna go with lol on that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I still 'need' to track down his diaries.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Wait Exotics can roll with different elements? gently caress that's going to be annoying.

Ones that drop now can, collections will always be set.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zokari posted:

I got The Huckleberry from Xur last week and I don't know how I'll ever be able to use another primary again.

God's own loadout, the Triple SMG*.

Orv
May 4, 2011
My space zombies operate on a very simple morality system: Has loot? Punch.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Shiny sky ball give power to get gun, scary triangle go talky talky talky.

Clear winner.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm probably forgetting one but I don't believe there are any world drop legendary fusions (exotics aside), every single one comes from turn ins or activities.

Banshee has several but the two best can be farmed in Menagerie, IB has a good one, there's a pinnacle from Zavala for one, Zavala turn-ins has one, most raids have one.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 15, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
Not so much ricochet as splatter.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That's normal.

It's honestly more worrying if you start to figure it out, you're really hosed then.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's a great deal easier thanks to the bump in LL. Just don't eat walls, shoot drones and don't get slammed as is applicable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Good.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Elysiume posted:

What do the higher tiers of reckoning get you over the lower tiers? Higher chances to get gear, expanded loot pool, ...?

T1, T2 and T3 each drop a different strength of Gambit Prime armor when wagering an appropriate mote for that tier. +1, 2 and 3 armor respectively, with a full set of +3 giving considerable Gambit Prime boosts.

Weapons only drop in T2 and T3 and T3 has an extra one or two drops depending on the week. There are two end bosses, rotating weekly and they each have a different loot pool.

Finally, Reckoning T3 armor that you wager for rolls the same amount of stats (generally speaking, RNG permitting) as raid and Iron Banner drops, meaning it is as good as stats can get on armor, right now. This is a total of like 4-7 more stats per piece but that does rapidly add up for hardcore optimized PvP builds.

Ultimately if you don't care that much about PvP or Gambit Prime the armor is essentially useless to you, but the mode has several very good guns (sniper, shotgun, HC, AR, pulse, almost all of them really with arguments) that you'll probably want if you end up going hard on the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

is that first boss just named "swords"?

They're the Swords of Oryx but they have their own names. Everyone just says Swords.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Meiteron posted:

The first tether is on like a solid minute timer before he kills everyone. You have enough time, if you've hosed up, to make a portal, send people through, collect motes, get yanked back, deposit to finish a pillar, and then tether, and you still won't die. Ask me how I know! The second tether is on maybe a 10-20 second timer at most. Making the first tether means you don't wipe, but if his armor comes back down, you spent too long trying for the second tether.

There's two ways to do this: you have one team of three be the dedicated boss tether group and the rest of the group be on the opposite side of the arena. The moment the first tether connects everyone swaps places and the boss tether group does the other side immediately. If that isn't working, you can instead have two teams of three, each responsible for a tether. One team does the first one and as soon as it activates the other team does the second one.

It really does come down to being fast. If you're using more than three people that's too many people (except for maybe an edge case where the pillar is waaaaay off in the corner of the arena, then you might need four people), the less people you use the faster the tether will connect, and that can matter for the second one.

This covers it perfectly but also just to add to this specifically for your add obsessed guy, if you have a bot tree void hunter they can receive a tether while invis from the smoke which helps a lot with not getting randomly slap rifled to death up there. Popping super also serves if your super isn't terribly important to DPS and won't block tether.

Orv
May 4, 2011

J.A.B.C. posted:

But does Peregrine also recharge melee? Because he did a double check on us. I would have to review the footage to check my health, but I was only a few seconds into a fresh spawn. Mighta got tagged from behind a few times that I didn't notice in my salty tears.

If they had an exotic called Insurmountable Skullfort and were the arc Titan class they get infinite shoulder charges as long as each one kills.

Destiny is rich in various bullshits, not necessarily overpowered, just lots of nonsense.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Its stupid how middle tree Arcstrider's melee cannot one-hit kill despite requiring you to sprint and then slide to activate it.

That would be way, way too good. You can sprint, slide and aim and fire it in a split second, being able to one hit multiple people at range with an instant refresh on the dodge + paragon mods would be busted as gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Are there any decent easy to get weapons? I got the Risk Runner and the Rat King but the purples I have feel a little lack-luster. I've been trying to do the quest (I forget the name of it) where I have to get scout rifles, but since I got it 4 days ago I have not seen a single scout rifle drop. Is the reward for that quest any good?

IIRC that ends up in MIDA which is pretty much the second best scout before perks are considered and still easily top 5 after that. YMMV depending on what you like in a scout RPM but it's an extremely solid gun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It doesn't completely have dupe protection because of how it rolls what you're getting but it's pretty solid that if you have the shards and are missing something from Y1/2 (that isn't a quest exotic) then always buy it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Really? I noticed once I maxed out my titan armour, whenever I rolled it, it rolled a weapon until I maxed weapons. Then when I switched to other people, it always rolled armour.

The vast majority of the time it works as advertised but the possibility absolutely exists for it to gently caress you. I've only ever had it once, where I got a spare Merciless and plenty of people never have it happen.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

What an interesting mechanic. Can't wait to gently caress around with it when I get home to see what I can get.

Another random question, do I need to be wearing the highest level items in order to get higher level drops or does just having them in my inventory enough?

Inventory or vault, just don't delete your highest stuff even if you aren't using it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

These instakill punch titans make me think I'm wrong to be playing Hunter.

You are but they aren't necessarily related.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

This was kind of the conventional wisdom before bottom striker got buffed.

You can take my giant shutdown hammer from my cold, flaming hands.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Silver only gets you barbie items as far as I’m aware, the two expansions you can pay for are for actual gameplay content like campaigns and areas and aren’t microtransactions

Silver is likely how the game presents NL players with an option of buying the expansions in its various pop-ups rather than buying the DLC discretely from Steam.

That said aside from those DLC purchases everything for silver is entirely cosmetic.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is there more to it than "Accept quest from banshee -> do 100 activities"?

The activities is not the catalyst, the catalyst is another 700 kills after the activities quest.

Because of course it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Does it just do virtually nothing for PvE, then, or is it somehow much better because the calculations are different?

Even when there were only three stats it was basically useless in PvE and it still is. It's the difference between like one or two more slap rifle shots, which having high Recovery would be better for your survival against.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah, catalysts are basically the only content I enjoy grinding, Pinnacle grinds are 100x worse because they force you to play badly. Grinding out Hush actively makes you a detriment to your team.

You're loving straight psycho.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rubellavator posted:

Lol they're making a new pvp mode with no radar and with a lower ttk and less ability usage

The words "SWAT in Destiny" were uttered so I am extremely in.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would like to think that history allowing they'll have compensated for that but uh

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

I just finished grinding out the Polaris Lance Catalyst at the first Shuro Chi encounter and that makes the Ace of Spades PVP quest look positively accommodating

Now do Skyburner's.

And for future reference for anyone reading this, go to the Castellum in the Leviathan raid to do the Polaris Lance catalyst. Kill two Legionaries and headshot a third once to proc Pefect Fifth (or shoot Phalanx shield crit points but that's a little more finicky), head shot another and body shot him once, but only once. The burn will kill. Takes about forty five minutes.

E: Come to think of it with the scout PvE buff and the minor headshot nerf the numbers on that trick for shots involved might have changed a bit, but it shouldn't be too hard to work out.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 26, 2019

Orv
May 4, 2011
I did the majority of Edgewise in a Strange Terrain by going backwards up into Ana's area and just killing the infinitely respawning cabal and hive there. It is extremely brainless and unrewarding but that's Destiny quests for you sometimes (if you force yourself to do it that way.).

Also it revealed a fun trick which is that Strange Terrain, unlike say Lake of Shadows, doesn't actually put you in a public instance of Mars and then feed you into your strike instance as you go in. It's a dead, empty Matrix version of Mars where the only spawns are the cabal on the bridge in the lower area and the cabal and hive in the upper. Might even be able to run the lost sectors but I didn't try. It's sort of eerie.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AzureSkys posted:

If I understand correctly, I don't need to equip my highest LL gear when opening engrams to have them be higher LL, just having them in my inventory or vault does the trick?

Correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

let me guess its pure rng doing strikes to get it

The Ace and Cerberus catalysts can drop from any playlist or NF thing, I think. I got both of them in the first couple days of SK and so many people did that I was thinking their might be some weighting to getting them fast but who knows.