Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

If I bought the base game from Activision or whatever I did a few years ago --- can I use my same character on the steam version

https://www.bungie.net/7/en/PCMove

That might be down during the downtime though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

What resources do you think the eververse drains from live game support? I have my doubts that the artists making that stuff are also expected to/capable of doing balance passes and bug fixes.

From last season it was pretty obvious that raid/nightfall cosmetics (like the sparrow that definitely would have been right at home in the nightfall) were just sold on the eververse.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Magus42 posted:

Why would that ever happen in any game like this?

To justify taking away everything when D3 launches? Doing it this way is smart on their part: if they decide not to do a fresh wipe then our character's grave is in some weird time forest of possibilities and thus the death does not ever have to actually come to pass, but if they do decide they want to kill the canonical guardian going into the next game they've "laid the foundation" so it doesn't feel like bullshit.

It would be bullshit, mind you. It just gives them an excuse.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Discospawn posted:

One thing that struck me this season is how the developers seemed to be trying to push the entire player base to participate in a limited number of activities at any given time.

To be fair, the new focused engram system they discussed last week seems like a step in the right direction in this regard. Now, whether that step also:

1) Reduces the game's overall reliance on bounties as a means of progression
2) Offers engrams at a reasonable rate

Remains to be seen. I've been thinking back to Menagerie a bit lately, which was (particularly during the bugged weeks) the last time that I think the game's loot treadmill was REALLY enjoyable for me. I kinda wish they'd go back and review what went right with that activity and emphasize that in future design. It was a fun, fail-safe activity that rewarded optimized play by making progression faster. There was randomization in the encounters. The number of hoops to jump through to get guns I wanted to use was so low there and the reward for time invested compared to virtually any other activity in the game was so high. Season of the Dawn definitely came close with the weapon bounty system and the multiple perks in the last column, though it ultimately was a bit hollow that the way to most efficiently generate that loot was "turn in tokens at a very slow rate" and the degree of control over the loot was still less than Menagerie. Particularly with the guns now having a shelf life, I hope they're significantly less hesitant about just giving players more direct access to good/great rolls of guns they want to use.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

So they mentioned the Destiny Content Vault and what would be in it but they never explained what it *is.* Is it a separate game you install?

I think it's like the Disney vault. They'll pull and retire stuff periodically.

If they get on a "one new raid, one retro raid" per year schedule, as someone who was not into Destiny 1 I'd definitely be on board with that.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I am curious as to how they view the new player onboarding experience from next season and beyond, not that they were necessarily doing a great job of that with New Light. Since they’re pulling every pre-Forsaken campaign, I’m guessing they’re probably looking at Beyond Light as a new “base” campaign? It really feels like they want to have their Destiny 3 cake (cycling out old content, resetting gear and progression) and eat it too (get that sweet cosmetic money), and it seems like a needle that’s gonna be almost impossible to thread. Hopefully they can pull it off.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Firebert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyVFF8rAn9A

Hey Bungie, gently caress your light grind lol

The dupe trick for powering through the event is great too

This is neat, but I don't think its quite the breakthrough the video suggests. I tried decrypting 10 or so, and I'd say 4 of them dropped powerful (I've already burned my 3 weekly free ones from the upgrade). I couldn't see any rhyme or reason for why some worked and some didn't.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Meiteron posted:

I would normally expect a game with the spotty design history of Destiny to be dead by now, but everyone sticks around and keeps playing. Even me! I dunno, people are strange.

I credit a few things:

-Community: Since the game has a bit of something for everyone, it has the ability to keep a lot of players with disparate interests around, even if it doesn’t do any of those things as well as other games. Part of what keeps me with a foot in the door even if I’m no longer maxing out the season pass or hitting the light cap is there are a lot of people who play this game that I like playing with. If there was a better alternative that a vast majority of that community moved to I’d probably follow, but there isn’t really a game that fills all those niches.

-Gunfeel: I don’t really enjoy first person shooters, but something about how it feels to play Destiny just feels right. I know a few other people with similar inclinations towards the genre as a whole who really enjoy how the game plays. I imagine it has something to do with Halo being a formative game for a lot of us and Destiny being the closest thing to what a modern Halo would play like (moreso than the actual modern Halo games, I’d say).

-Raids: I know there’s some data that suggests the majority of the community never engages with this content, but I’d be curious to see what percentage of persistent players do, because this is the one thing the one truly unique thing that Destiny does that no one else can compare to. If you want mechanically complex coop pve first person shooter content, Destiny’s really that only game in town. I don’t necessarily see that being the case forever and I’d say there’s some moderately successful attempts at challenging Destiny’s hegemony, but nothing’s quite gotten there yet.

and, I hestitate to bring it up because this conversation never goes well, but...

-The Skinner Box: The game is designed to be addicting, and it is designed well. Bungie clearly knows their behavioral psychology: variable reward schedules, FOMO, “the first hit”s free” in the cash shop. The extent to which an individual is or isn’t influenced by these things obviously varies, but there are so many different approaches that the game uses to encourage you to keep playing that there’s a layer of resistance to quitting even if you’re sick of some off the bullshit that comes with it.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Raid-wise, there's also a HUGE content drought right now, and thus fewer raid groups. A lot of the people who spent the first few months running Garden 3x a week are pretty burnt out on it. They've got all the armor rolls they need. They have all the guns. There's not a ton of incentive to do the raid at the moment beyond playing with your friends.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

KingKapalone posted:

I'm ~940. How do I know what gun perks are good and thus which guns are worth keeping? I've been keeping my purple ones since around ~850 in case they're good and I just don't know it.

Also, what are the main activities I should be focused on? I started playing the game to raid with my friends that are also all new. We jumped straight into Leviathan the first week we started playing. Focusing on things that will prepare me for raids would probably be preferred.

Light.gg does a pretty good job of showing you what perks might be good options for pve, pvp, or both.

Mechanically, the closest thing to raids that aren’t actual raids are the dungeons: Shattered Throne, Pit of Heresy, and Prophecy, but starting with some of the easier raids is also a great way to get your feet wet, particularly if you have a team of six to learn together. Eater of Worlds and Scourge of the Past are probably the most immediately accessible.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Woof yeah light gg's recommendations are... catastrophic. Somehow even worse than DIM's recommendations, which are based on alphabetical order :laugh:

Psycho Landlord posted:

Stop trying to sabotage the new people, it’s not cool.

In all seriousness, is light.gg really so bad that sending new players there is “sabotage?” I’m not against discussing weapon roles in this thread, which is cool and good, and asking people directly is always gonna yield the best advice. I just seriously know of no site out there that says “hey, here are some popular guns and perks you might want to consider in each column depending on how you plan to use the gun” that does any better (and would like to know if one if it exists). In the era of sunsetting, even having a site to look up what rolls a gun can POTENTIALLY have in each column to get a sense of “throw this in the vault and keep it” vs. “garbage gun” is a useful resource.

https://www.light.gg/db/items/821154603/gnawing-hunger/

Like, there’s a lot of nuance there that can make info “wrong.” If you are a mouse and keyboard player, zen moment is probably a bad choice for pve, so I wouldn’t label it good for both pve and pvp. Rampage is probably the best pve perk, but swashbuckler could be better depending on your build. I definitely wouldn’t use multi kill clip with a subsistence role, even though it calls MKC a good pve perk. So I don’t disagree that a lot of what newer players need is to understand systems and how various combinations can benefit each other (which the posts above do a good job of exploring). But a lot of that is gonna come from experience, too, and I don’t think there’s a shortcut to internalizing a lot of that. To that end, a “Wikipedia for guns” does seem to me like a useful resource if you’re trying to figure out whether something is even worth throwing in the vault to consider later.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

PsySabreW posted:

I would recommend trying out https://www.d2checklist.com/gear/weapons as well. It does a much better job of letting you know if the rolls you got on your gun is good/god roll for pvp or pve than DIM.

This site is very good and I wish I had discovered it earlier.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Roman posted:

Looks like Solstice glows are kinda lame in-game, even with full super
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/i8o2bc/warning_bungie_used_the_wrong_images_for_the/

My decision to sit this one out is more validated

It’s a shame that we’ve reached the point where it’d be surprising if the marketing of Solstice stuff WASN’T misleading or manipulative in some way.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Fly Molo posted:

Misleading Marketing for more :10bux: eververse stuff? That’s our bungie! :v:

As a follow-up: anyone wondering “why does Bungie constantly do this sort of thing?”
https://twitter.com/JpDeathBlade/status/1293811843836846080
The eververse works, lol. I’d say vote with your wallet, but clearly the ayes will carry regardless.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i think charging dumb amounts of money for the finishers and stuff is honestly pretty low on the list of like, d2 monetization problems
Not really interested in the single item, but rather what it says about the business model. As someone who would personally prefer an alternative model for monetization (monthly fee, more paid expansions, etc.), it's nice to have a concrete data-point to measure just how successful the current model is. It adds context to sentiments like this, which people have been feeling pretty much since the moment the game came out:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

My #1 issue is the way they put so many unique items and models behind the store when they should be behind gameplay. At one point eververse was accounting for roughly 90% of new and unique models. I think that was back during curse of osiris/warmind days. It's probably still not much better to this day. Hardly any new weapons and gear are introduced with each season, yet there's shitloads of new ornaments, finishers, emotes, etc on the store. Bungie clearly has the means to churn out content, they are just nickle and diming us instead.
If one item in one event is generating $200k in 48 hours, it would be malpractice NOT put stupid amounts of content in the eververse. Blaming a company for making money is like blaming a lion for eating a gazelle...it's kinda what they're supposed to do. Players clearly find the current arrangement acceptable enough to spend a poo poo-ton of money on it, so barring any major change in behavior it'll likely be the model going forward.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

I’m not sure the apples to apples F2P comparisons are totally fair here, though. Destiny 2 has a free experience, but I don’t know if I’d call it free to play the way Fortnite or Valorant are free to play. They’re charging 40 per year for the base game and twenty to thirty bucks for a year’s worth of season passes and then selling all the cosmetic stuff on top for a decent chunk of change. I’d say smaller conversion rates are probably not to be expected there.

My point in even bringing it up was kind of simple: given the option of selling that finisher and making an easy 200k in a couple days or making it a gameplay unlock, Bungie has an incentive to sell. They are incentivized to put as much cosmetic material as possible behind a pay wall without damaging their retail sales. With this sort of game, where the main gameplay loop is finding stuff and using it to customize your character, I think it’d hard to say that that incentive doesn’t impact the core experience, even if a relatively low number of whales are taking the bait. I mean, the solstice armor is far less of a grind this year. The game encourages you to unlock all 3 sets by reducing the grind on subsequent characters. The fact that the first year they’ve done this is the first year that glows are sold per class does not seem to me a coincidence. We’re not grinding to unlock a sparrow or ship this year; we’re grinding for the opportunity to spend money.

I’ve more or less made peace with the current system: I only want cosmetics for my main, I generally ignore everything that isn’t armor or weapon ornaments, and I can get by on bright dust. I’m still playing the game and I’ll at least be buying the next boxed expansion (jury’s out in the season pass for now), so I’m not trying to pretend I’m not complicit in the business practice overall. I’m just starting to get worried here (and it’s based mostly on their silence and their vague answers around basic questions like “will we be able to use collections?”) that the transmog system is going to be a monetization nightmare instead of a meaningful and accessible way to customize your appearance.

motherbox fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 14, 2020

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I'm glad one emote can earn enough money to pay the annual salary of 1.25 senior developers.
Hopefully the other emotes and the other 363 days in the year can pay off the annual salary of the other 598.75 employees.

Well when you put it like that it’s probably a bad monetization model. Maybe they should consider other options :p

I’ll let it go, sorry for the derail. I don’t begrudge Bungie their right to make money and support their staff, and everyone can spend their money the way they want. I’m just one of those people who really, really hates how pervasive freemium season pass micro transaction stuff has become in full priced games and wish there was some way to stem the tide. I’d much rather just pay more for the game itself or have a regular old subscription fee or something, but that’s clearly not where the money is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

Hope they put removed catalysts into the exotic terminal thingy. But the lack of mention of that has me assuming Ill just be stuck without.

Believe they said they'll be coming back the season following BL's release, or at the very least they'll have more info. On a totally unrelated note, I finally got my Huckleberry catalyst after like 20 heroic adventures in the past couple weeks, so I'm leaving old thread on a good note. Bring on the New New Light Thread.