Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

right in the middle of one of the titan story missions the action just stops while you proceed through a series of Extremely Pretty Hallways and it's honestly one of my favourite moments in the entire game

e: here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HHpF8EpFPU&t=483s
(8:03 if the timecode embed doesn't work)

I can't be the only person who wishes there was a fuckload more to do on Titan. An entire Hive-infested Arcology you really only visit in depth once.

Airspace posted:

Can I just move my Battle.net installation over to where I keep my Steam games, or am I going to have to download 90 gigs on a terrible connection?

Nope. Gotta download it again, spaceman. The Steam pre-load is encrypted, and signs point to the structure of the install being just different enough that you'd have to download it all again anyway.

Of course you can wait until after the game unlocks on Steam to give it a try.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Still lolling any time I remember all the people who were angry they had to crucible to get the last word, a gun that is first and foremost a crucible gun.

Honestly, I'm loving terrible at PvP and I completed the "play Crucible" step for TLW by accident during an IB week. I wasn't even trying and oh huh I completed that step, who knew?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

sleepness posted:

Goons: Help me.

I quit very shortly into forsaken due to life events after finishing the campaign. However, I could not resist Shadowkeep now that I have more time to play and love the game. What would be the best way to catch up so I can jump into the Shadowkeep content?

Join the Discord, download the game, and shoot bad mans.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What do the elemental energy things on some armor pieces do? That wasn’t here the last time I played.

Elemental energy on armor ties into the energy cost of each armor mod. The idea is to match a mod that wants Arc energy to a piece of armor that has Arc energy.

It's randomly rolled, along with the armor stats, so that you have a "reason" to grind activities to get the armor energy type and stat rolls you want for a given build.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

g0del posted:

This is my favorite. It's the closest I can get in Destiny to playing a novaguard in Mass Effect multi. Just constantly flying across the map blowing up red bars. It would be easier if holding sprint to shift worked right, though.

Shift is a toggle by default, IIRC.

Regarding builds...some youtuber guy noted that a top-tree voidlock grenade build with the 2-3 special void grenade mods you get from the artifact is possibly going to be real drat good. Hold Q to drop mini nova bombs, a lot, which disrupt and weaken enemies.

I'm really not happy with the fact that respeccing the artifact costs glimmer. It's going to make it rather time-consuming to swap between arc and void builds. The Moon content also seems to be sort of...subtly encouraging Arc builds - a post-campaign quest step asking you to kill things with Arc abilities, Riskrunner plus Crown of Tempests being really goddamn good against Hive, etc.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

queef anxiety posted:

well i hit fabled real quick spamming out control but now i learn there's 2 crucible ranking systems and idk which one that counts towards. games fun but running out of content outside of pinnacles and weeklies and trying to get an aussie group together for raids is hard. daily whinge post till LFG gets implemented properly.

e: ace of spades is carrying me hard

Control counts for Valor, not Glory. The tooltips on each of the mode nodes tells you which "track" it counts for.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eej posted:

Resilience is almost guaranteed to be a dump stat unless you go all the way on it in which case there are some edge cases where you can survive longer in PvP and PvE.

Strength is also mostly a dump stat because most builds that want to repeatedly slam melee skills have built in ways or exotics that refresh melee for them. Monte Carlo also handles melee cooldown but uses up an exotic weapon slot.

Intelligence and Recovery are probably the best stats to focus for more people. High mobility is good in PvP and the real preference stat is Discipline based on how much you like grenades and whether you have a way of rapidly cooling them down.

Pretty much this. Build for Mob/Res/Dis/Int and go ham.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I actually have that and thought about using it, but Sweet Business is kind of my comfort pick and I don't entirely "get" Cerberus+1. Do I pretty much only want to use it on focus fire and treat it like a monster shotgun? Are there times it's better to have focus fire off?

Also, will you still find a catalyst drop for a weapon you don't have equipped? A big part of why I'm using business right now is because I don't have the catalyst and want it to drop.

Cerberus+1 has a neat "hidden" mechanic in that the central AR barrel has no damage dropoff so you can use it to get some very undeserved kills in Crucible. The spread on the shotgun barrels is also useful for tagging people while they're trying be twitchy fucks.

Roman posted:

i want to use the finisher that gives you an overshield but i gotta mw my class item to do it

The overshield allegedly only last for the duration of the cast time so unless you're regularly getting merc'd while mid-cast (hello, Warlocks using Stormtrance) it's not as useful as it sounds.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

750 being the new 100 LL (what newbies started with in the Red War during Y2) just means that 950 is the new 200 (or maybe 300).

It's kind of mathematically dumb.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gambit dropped me an Outlast with Feeding Frenzy and Demolitionist. It's pretty solid for PvP; I'm not sure if these are the Best Perks but this gun feels real drat good to use and opens up the Kinetic slot for Huck/Cerb use.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

NihilCredo posted:

God drat I was wondering if the redditors claiming they were running Breach Refactor + Oppressive Darkness + Overload Grenades + Disruptor Spikes were full of poo poo or something, since that build clearly wasn't possible...

... I didn't realize you don't need to unlock the lower-level buffs to get the ones further up the same row. drat. Bye bye Enhanced Bow Loader.

I am running this exact thing on voidlock and it is some hype poo poo

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

Won't lie, kind of wish I could make this happen because I'm sick of grinding out the mountain top quest.

Like, I'm getting there, but cripes its slow and I'm awful at it. Even camping heavy ammo I just gently caress it up so much.

Have you tried using non-Heavy launchers, like Fighting Lion?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eej posted:

No problem. You basically have to figure out what the purpose of a gun is (High Impact Fusion: Hit 5 bolts to kill) and then figure out what perks make it better at that job (Liquid Coils: 4 bolts, High Zoom Scope and Range stat: Longer distance traveled by bolts before they start dropping off in damage, Stability perks: tighten the spread of your bolts so that more of them will hit what you're aiming at long range) then work from there and then check what everyone else is using to see if you have the right idea.

My Wizened Rebuke is Under Pressure + Tap The Trigger which means as long as I keep my current ammo below 50% of a full mag I get an incredibly tight cone of bolts on the first shot. Which is all I should be needing to kill someone.

For Fusion Rifles, if you click on anything that speeds up charge time it lowers damage per bolt. Which is really bad and a dumb trap that Bungie has left on purpose.

tl;dr erentil fr-4 is good and cool, grab it from menage and enjoy

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh yeah hey I'm gonna try and get a raid group together tonight. Kind of aiming for older stuff and I'm all ears for suggestions

I have a raid group up for Prestige Leviathan on the SRSOC Discord!

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Oxyclean posted:

gently caress random rolls, gently caress the "gear chase", just let me make the gear I like good. I don't care if that part takes grinding, just make it so it doesn't feel like a I might be wasting a bunch of investment because I could always get something with a better roll. Hell, I wouldn't mind random rolls if it meant I was just pulling a lever on my gear to re-roll the stat spread. The gear chase should be taking a set you like and working on that, rather then just hoping the next piece of trash that drops is maybe more right.

:agreed:

Let me just make the gear I like wearing into gear that's also effective. Armor 2.0 was supposed to reduce the amount of sacrificing one of style or power but when the number of ornaments is so much less than the number of armor pieces that look really drat good on their own but have bad stats...

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RocketRaygun posted:

Compliments of slim

grackle (v): To cheat in a game and still be :mediocre:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ijyt posted:

Momentum Control is the most fun I've had in crucible, I wish this was the glory gamemode goddamn.

MoCo ought to be the primary Valor mode. And Iron Banner ought to be the primary Glory mode.

Survival is pretty drat rough.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Orv posted:

What the actual gently caress is wrong with you.

I enjoy game modes that allow me to make up for my lack of elite competitive gamerman status by throwing my body at my enemies until my pile of corpses suffocates them.

MoCo and IB both allow this.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eej posted:

They are considering turning them into ornaments though. Don't know how the glows would work.

Probably make each glow its own ornament so if you bought all 3 glows, you'd have a Drained/Renewed/Majestic + Arc/Solar/Void glow plus the non-glow Drained/Renewed/Majestic.

One of these days some vendor will drop me a drum-fed spike grenade launcher...

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Wamdoodle posted:

which one has a dedicated dance troupe i want that one

obviously it's dead orbit

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Truspeaker posted:

They should make Arbalest do full damage when match game is active. Having the whole perk just do nothing in the situation it should be most useful is super lame.

Arbalest just...doesn't feel great to use. Against anything. It doesn't feel as rad as Loaded Question or a good Erentil.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They do indeed, but you won't be getting Militia's or Mindbender's this season since Ordeal can only be Vex and Hive strikes

You can still run the OG Nightfalls for specific drops.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eej posted:

The game will push literally everyone to 2100 very rapidly and from there it slows down.

Unless of course you're in that very small subset of nerds which the game has determined shall be trash for all time.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

FileNotFound posted:

Ether Doctor is just farming tangled shore crap. I've gotten several without trying - but it's certainly not trivial to get it with a good roll.

In the end - if I am going to be using an auto rifle, it'll be a cerberus +1

Didn't know this - and it's probably where I got mine without even knowing that's where I got it...

Ether Doctor is rad as gently caress and even with bad rolls it feels good to use.

I need to dig out my Rampage rolled one and infuse it up.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RBX posted:

?????

Warlocks have a auto aim and forget giant ball, a Kamehameha that they can cancel early (!) And save super, and they can blink around and kill in a giant aoe.

All of those supers have a cast animation that locks you in place until it completes, thus making you an easy target for literally anyone to shut down your super before you can even do anything. Warlocks also have on average the lowest damage mitigation while in super.

Meanwhile, Arc Titans (especially bottom tree) are practically invulnerable from cast to the point where they run out of targets and Blade Barrage Hunters can instantly delete literally anyone.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Roman posted:

Also no mention of a power cap increase. Usually they would also promote that on the official site and they didn't.

Will they be allowing Artifact mods on the relevant classes of Exotic weapons? The lack of Anti-Barrier rounds on my Cerberus+1 this season has felt bad.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Eej posted:

It's a cool short story but you can also read it online so don't worry about it unless you have the completionist brainworms (but then you would've done it by now via Undying)

If you have capped out on the very low skill ceiling of Jotunn consider upgrading to a well rolled Erentil. You can voop your way to 5500 if you really wanted to. Also a lot of hate mail.

Or a Telesto. It's very mean when you get the hang of it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

xzzy posted:

Hitting a wizard with a grenade launcher is impossible, prove me wrong!

I've domed multiple wizards with my love and death.

it's really hard tbh and most of those domes were pure luck, not skill

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

The thing that's really turning me off this game is the amount of busywork and reliance on random rolls to keep people on the hamster wheel.

Like...the Armor 2.0 system is a step forward, what with the ornaments and customizable perk slots, but it's still too bogged down in RNG to be fun. If you're trying to get good armor, there's just so many layers of RNG!

1. 1 in 8 chance for an engram to be an armor piece
2. 1 in 5 chance to be a specific armor piece type
3. 1 in 3 chance to be a specific element
4. ??? chance to roll high on overall stats
5. 1 in 6 chance to roll a high score in a specific stat

And if any of these don't match what you're specifically looking for, the only way to reroll it is to do the activity you got it from and hope you get a better roll. Oh, and we're going to introduce new seasonal slots every season, so you have to restart the gear grind every three months!

I'd really like it better if you could work in a directed fashion for a specific thing. We have these Black Armory forges already; why is Bungie not using them to let players choose their build by doing what they enjoy?

It would be so much more fun if it worked like this:

1. Visit Ada to get an armor frame.
2. Set the elemental affinity by doing Void/Arc/Solar damage
3. Set the stat score by doing Kinetic damage - the more multikills or precision kills you get during a Forge or something, the better your stat score. Hell, make it so this can be reset a few times to try again. Maybe the Forge you do even sets the pool of default looks.
4. Set the stat distribution by running lots/taking damage without dying/healing friends/punching mans/using grenades/using Super energy

By the end of this you have a piece of Legendary armor suited to your specific purposes for the armor. Each season, either do a new full set to get access to the new Seasonal mods or spend some ingame materials and do an activity to align it with the new Seasonal poo poo.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Fly Molo posted:

Yup, the Ligma-69.

The projectiles are orbs instead of ovoid cylinders, so the tumble is much more manageable and you can get some very interesting flick shots if you're gud at gaem.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

They're ill-advised for bosses anyways, I think Bungie nerfed their damage?

They still feel rad as gently caress and Xenophage in particular is fun. It's practically a belt-fed RPG launcher.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

I saw Cammycakes talking about range on handcannons and how he thinks it's useless since the nerf Bungie gave is literally just two or three steps forward to negate, so he thinks handling etc. is much more important now. I think that's one plus to Hunter mobility at least is walking speed going up, so you can walk backwards faster than someone can walk towards you. Not much help if they're sprinting/sliding and have the perks to draw quick and such but it was an interesting take because I was still in the frame of mind of all hand cannons needing a range masterwork to be useful. I never stopped to think about the whole "Just take a couple steps forward instead" angle.

I watch Gamesager sometimes who only plays titan and he punches the hell out of people constantly. Don't know if he's doing anything special for it but so many of his kills are just punching the crap out of people. Regardless I always found it weird that titans had the weakest melee when you'd think given their 'tank' role they'd have the best melee of all classes in the game. Even in D1 people were making T-Rex jokes about titans because their melee was so awful.

"Titans have the weakest melee."

Arc titans would like to have a word with you.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

How is there no more room?

Sarcasm. It's sarcasm.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SUNKOS posted:

I'm not saying the AI is amazing, just that they put more effort into it than most developers do. It's one area of the industry that has unfortunately not really progressed from one generation to another, but for a shooter the AI in Destiny is up there just on account of basic things like enemies taking cover, sometimes running away etc. compared to most games where they literally stand in place and shoot. Doesn't mean that there isn't massive room for improvement in the genre, though.

Off the top of my head the only developer I can think of that really puts effort into AI is From Software. They do a good job with the main immersion breaker being when kiting enemies and then seeing them run back to their designated patrol area.

4A does a good job of NPC AI, too, especially with sapient enemies who'll look for you for a good while before giving up and will even surrender if they're the last enemy left standing.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People need their excuse for why, having been demanding the addition of and/or laughing at the absence of trials, they won't be partaking

Hackers, lag, shoulder charge, gambit being too fun, etc

I won't be playing Trials or any PvP mode because I am bad at PvP and do not enjoy smashing my head into a brick wall to get better at it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Discospawn posted:

It's difficult to imagine what the game would look like if every exotic armor piece was buffed to be as good as OEM. The game would turn into multiplayer SuperHot or something.

Multiplayer SuperHot sounds rad as gently caress. I'd rather have that than the grinding horror of freelance survival comp.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Playing Momentum Control and Halo MCC have really impressed something on me:

Supers loving ruin crucible!

game would be 10x better if they just patched them out completely. Or at least make you pick up special ammo or something in order to be able to use it.

MoCo is fine as it is. In fact, it's the one PvP mode I can remotely enjoy anymore. The handicap of no radar and slower ability regen fucks with everyone else enough that I can actually compete.

The only way MoCo could be better for me is if it was available at all times alongside all the other PvP modes.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

A rotational mode where supers are pickup bricks would be interesting though.

It would definitely be interesting, though I'd expect it to be more like grabbing a big ball of Light to charge your Super instead.

heated game moment posted:

MoCo is great for grinding out PvP kills for weapon catalysts

It is! The fact that drat near everything is a one-hit kill in MoCo, coupled with the instant respawn time, it feels much more casual and fun to me than any of the other modes. I certainly don't feel as punished for being bad at PvP.

NihilCredo posted:

The best PvP mode is Survival Freelance after you've completed every quest / achieved every rank you wanted.

SBMM still screws up sometimes and you still get the occasional 2v3, but it's seriously day and night compared to the random shitfest it was pre-Shadowkeep. Unfun stomps are down to something like 10-20% of matches in my estimate, and with the life mechanic 2v3s are far more winnable than any 3v4 in the old comp modes.

Unfortunately this hasn't been my experience since they introduced SBMM. I don't know if it's me being bad or SBMM being wack, but I dipped my toe into the main SBMM modes and proceeded to get turbofucked forever.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

hattersmad posted:

Yeah, for me this is the season of wrapping up old weapon quests like Izanagi’s. Maybe I’ll do some seasonal stuff while I’m at it because why not.

:same:

"Season of Minor PvP Tweaks" is time to work on things like another Prestige Levi run to get the Legend of Acrius catalyst, etc.

Republicans posted:

Boy I can't wait to see what awful piece of poo poo they have us do for the iron banner bow.

Randy's Throwing Knife, Part the Second? $highnumber of bow kills in IB, 2100 Glory, some obscene number of PvP medal points. Or they might do the usual ~~Scour the Rust~~ bullshit with a bunch of bow-focused IB-only steps capped by RTK, Part Deuce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Grind is real nasty for PvE poo poo. 500 Warmind bits per Warmind chip, each chip does like 10% Integration level.

So that's 5000 Warmind bitz per level.