Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Peewi posted:

I thought people were just saying "moon's haunted" because the new stuff is on the moon and there's that funny joke.

But no, the moon really is haunted.

moon's absolutely haunted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol queue is long

https://twitter.com/unormal/status/1179143901019607042

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I DO definitely have some friends who are mad that this thing they bought years ago is now free and are boycotting the game

:sever:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

mike12345 posted:

what's the point of rpg elements if you're not progressing in power as you go along? equating character growth with min-maxing is just disingenuous.

He literally said you get drops (progress in power)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Blind Legion I Cohort/Century 3/Maniple 3
5 Squad [HEAVY INF]
TASK:
- defend Psion intelligence ops 071x146
OUTCOME:
- overwhelmed by Guardian fireteam/Vex pressure. few survivors. survivors reported Guardians foraging for equipment, dancing, and performing acrobatics with light vehicles.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol at console players Stockholm syndrome with terrible input devices.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

If the console manufacturers enabled the input for all players and the game input natively supported it, I’m all for it. Mouse and keyboard is flat out better.

The issue is that you have players using a precise and better input method within a game that only supports and is designed around compensating for a worse controller input. That’s not right.

It's actually fine because it works perfectly when you plug in a xim and the game is more fun with a better controller?

It also works fine on PC?

If you like a bad controller that's fine. Don't blame other people for wanting obviously better ways to control things.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

big cummers ONLY posted:

Okayyy everything falling into place. I thought green ammo weapons got penalized if you used them on anything but shields, but now that seems like a very dumb conclusion to draw

Thank you for helping me understand, friendly thread!

white go boom
green go BOOM
purple go BOOOOOOM!!!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

Do powerful engrams give me items that are my level or do they cap at 950? I'm not talking about gaining +2 levels from it but like if I'm 951 average will it give me another 951, etc?

Legendaries will drop at your light level if you're above 950; so once you get a 952 or two, you'll start dropping 951 stuff, powerful or not.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fly Molo posted:

Technically, couldn’t a Guardian just cut off their own leg, die, res, then cook and eat it? Infinite Meat.

Couldn't two guardians just trade off eating each other?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

These new obelisk bounties are stretching the bounds of what I'm willing to grind. The 20 fallen captain/45 sniper headshot one was tedious enough, but 300 scorn kills combined with 150 hive precision kills and 125 cabal precision bow kills just... each one on their own isn't too bad, but you can't even synergize them, so it just becomes a slog. Imagine doing all this bullshit on three characters.

Why would you care about doing it on three characters?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

You triple the amount of fractaline you get each week. I'm not going to though. I still need to get a freeding frenzy/mkk steelfeather repeater, but there's always the sundial for that.

Oh I didn't realize it was shared across characters, that makes sense then.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Oh cool, doing Saint's quest unlocks daily bounties for fractiline, and a obelisk at the tower that lets you quickly access the other ones.

This season was well designed? They should keep the obelisks around.

The season was well designed, but I think a nice well designed seasonal mechanic like this is great, ditch em and bring out something new every 3 months to keep it fresh. Looking like a pretty good plan if they can keep it up, tbh. I mostly don't agree with "too grindy", rather I think there's just more than enough to do, play as much as you want and there's stuff to do however much that is, and it's rewarding, and even fairly casual players will be able to get a ton of good stuff. Seems pretty great, overall.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's really not that hard to grab a purple box and shoot someone with Truth.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Knowlue posted:

I thought people were qq'ing about the new content. Or are people just mad that's mostly just a re-hash of the last pass and too angry to regrind similar loot. Guess that doesn't matter since I haven't done all this IB bs yet

Every person in the threads qqing is on their 18,500th hour of Destiny, is unsatisfied no matter what the constellation of gameplay looks like, and you can safely ignore their feedback.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Really the only thing to say here is that if you’re on console and using a XiM in pvp you’re bullshit (queue wailing and gnashing “uhhhh actually sir, sir there are significant downsides....which is why I am paying $199 for a gray area device).

wahh how dare you not suffer this mandatory terrible input scheme the xbox bosses told me i was required to use

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

super sweet best pal posted:

I think Gambit Prime is better than regular Gambit because when you win or lose, that's it and there's no second round or tie breaker to slog through.

Agreed that Gambit gets better the less you have to play it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
They switched to steam sockets in the season patch and they clearly have some bugs to work out.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Unless you want to get any guns because they obligate you to visit Ada twice before you can get them.

Forges drop guns even without frames.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lexorin posted:

At least as a titan I can farm laurels pretty easily by just equipping a skullfort, going somewhere with a shitload of spawns, and melee everything in sight. Still tedious as gently caress though. I usually go to mars and pop an escalation, murder all the thralls then switch zones and do it again but I'm sure there's a faster way.

that gambit gold medal sucks hard though.

Throw fire hammer. Play gambit prime where its team pickup for laurels.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

Man that was not super helpful unfortunately! It sounds like you're inferring that you can only level the artifact when you're max power level?

You level it with normal xp, as a sort of separate xp track. As it levels it unlocks bonus abilities in the form of mods that you use in high level combat vs champions + a few enhanced mods, in a small skill tree, which are available for the duration of the season. The season is ending in a week so it doesn't really matter. Play around with it to get a feel for how it works so you know how it works for next season, but don't stress it.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
me watching rasputin saturday

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I mean really what did we expect.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Way prefer this event to a messagebox saying some dumbfuck streamers had fun this weekend

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Psycho Landlord posted:

What the actual hell is wrong with all of you

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kingnothing posted:

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/all-opinions-are-valid

Also you seem to be alone in telling me to gently caress off.

gently caress off moron

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

I maxed the season pass and did alot of raiding the past few weeks and kinda burned myself out so I'm playing less and just trying to get iron banner done on all my characters and try to figure out what I'm gonna do with all the armor and guns I have.

I really want to get solo flawless on Pit and Prophecy and finish Wayfarer by end of season.

Don't forget to grab Osprey this week in the nightfall strike if you want Wayfarer, last easy chance at it basically.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/rw0oaQ1.png[/url][/timg]

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah, as soon as I got mountaintop and recluse I pretty much deleted comp forever. That poo poo was as enjoyable as shutting a car door on my penis

So... bad... or?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
smgs suck rear end in cruicible meta atm

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kingnothing posted:

If Valve was the issue don’t you think it would be a problem on many other Games that use Steam Sockets?

Isn’t in infinitely more likely that Bungie hosed up the code on their side during the shift? It’s not like they could ctrl+V from Valve and BAM we’re on Steam Sockets.

I’m sorry that your original take was dumb but here you are still defending it.

No, it's an issue with the massive peer to peer network destiny uses + steam sockets. Most games have far more trivial netcode. A failure of a peer or set of peers in a network of peers is causing a problem in steam sockets, most likely, because steam sockets have never contended with what destiny wanted them to do.

Anyone who thinks their netcode is bad is an idiot, it's basically a miracle.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mazerunner posted:

i finally got unbroken :)

Nice job.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd say any perks you like are fine, don't get too hung up on god rolls. That said, given both PvP and PvE, imo what you're looking for is:

PvE, you want something to boost your damage and something to make your reloads faster; good PvE rools are mostly about putting out constant damage over a long period and damage x total time shooting at something is the magic equation. This may be against many enemies or a single one (smg vs red bars or sniper rifles vs bosses). You have to think about how to reload. Outlaw or kill clip on a sniper rifle is going to be less good because you're typically mag dumping a sniper rifle into a boss, not killing and proccing a bunch of bonuses, so in sniper rifles something like 4th time's the charm is a much better reload perk than it would be on an smg, partly because it doesn't require mag dumping.

So in PvE given these rules the constant outlaw/killclip obviously follows, where you've got a reload perk and a damage perk. Typically two damage perks are going to cost you in reload time, and two reload perks are going to be inefficient. One small side note is that drop mag is a pretty good replacement for something like outlaw (and you'll find it's messaged in the UI by showing up on the short list of front-page mods, unlike most clips), and if you've got drop mag you can often do a damage perk + a freebie perk that sounds fun + dropmag.

PvP is less about constant damage and more about very short engagements where you want to be the first to take a shot, or able to reach out just slightly further than your opponent in an engagement to get an edge in a brief exchange, and much much less often running through several enemies to proc bonuses like outlaw and kill clip. That makes mods like snapshot sights, quickdraw and rangefinder very good on PvP weapons.

So you could very easily have two copies of the same gun, one with outlaw and demolition (great +damage perk when you're mowing down a ton of enemies), and the other with rangefinder and snapshot sights, and the first would be very good at PvE and the second very good at PvP, and both not very good in the opposite situation.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Reading that post makes it sound like this expansion is literally just a new raid, new strike, and 4 pieces of content from Destiny 1 to be released between November 2020 and October 2021

Haha well funny you should say thats what it sounds like because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dreffen posted:

I miss the PvP in this game a lot and it’s been a while since I last played. Is it possible to complete this season in the time there is left?

It probably benefits from jamming it all in one season. When you get to the end of interference just talk to Eris over and over again to get every lore page.