Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Really loving these new Steam users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Caidin posted:

Regarding the current end of the lunar storyline, Did anyone else upon meeting our darkness doppelganger and then immediately getting popped back out into free roam assume it had pulled a switcheroo? Pyramid hacked Ghost, not like he'd notice.
Ghost has been hacked at least twice now. This and Mercury. Anyone know if he was hacked again some other time?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Funkameleon posted:

D1 vets complained
Sometimes I feel like every bad decision made about Destiny 2 is due to this.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

If I could load into the Tower in under 5 seconds, I wouldn't have a problem with how bounties work. But it takes up to a minute on an SSD, if not longer, primarily because it has to figure out which matchmaking server to put me on and then it has to load in all the cosmetics people are wearing, so I do have a problem with how bounties work. Go play Monster Hunter World on an SSD where it takes under 5 seconds to get anywhere and you'll feel the same way I do.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I don't know why it takes you that long to load in but I don't even have enough time to catch up on this slow moving thread before I'm in the tower most times.

e: I'm not saying you're not experiencing longer load times just that either I am more patient than you or my load times are much shorter for whatever reason.
50% you're more patient (I know for a fact I'm an impatient bastard when it comes to my video games, which is why the generation when games went from cart to disk made me the saltiest mother fucker on Earth) and 50% the load times in Destiny 2 range anywhere from 10 seconds to 100 seconds depending on how healthy the matchmaking servers are. I've felt very fast load times and I've loved them when they've happened but, on average, the times are not fast. Keep in mind, I'm not talking just about the tower here. Loading up a destination, realizing you missed a bounty, going to tower, getting the bounty, going back to destination, then wanting to do a different activity that you didn't have bounty room for, having to go back to tower just to get the bounties just to go do that second activity... This entire clump of wasted time and load times need to be compressed.

Back to my impatience: If a game ever takes long enough to load that you alt tab to read a forum thread, then the game is loading too slowly. Game dev rule number whatever: A game player should never feel the need to remove their attention from the game, even during load times. I'm not saying "devs should fix load times" but I am saying "devs should at least put something interesting and interactive on the screen during load times." Even Warframe lets you fly your useless cosmetic ship in 4 directions during load and that game loads stupidly fast.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 11, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think Namco literally has a patent on that which is why it hasn't been replicated ever since the PS1 days
FYI this patent expired. Namco actually went after people with interactive load screens, which is why they were so rare, but now they can't because they didn't go Disney on the patent. Go figure this patent expires at about the same time technology is starting to make load screens obsolete, though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I dunno. It's pretty obvious spooky triangle is behind a lot of the mean robots in the galaxy. I'm still holding out for unknown square to show its face.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Did anyone buy the flare emote? I want to know if you can mix it with other emotes to shoot the flare horizontally at people.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Ah matchmaking.

From 0.7 in the first game to 14.0 in the second. Normally I'm around 1-2.
This is my entire Destiny experience but because the second game is the majority of my matches, I end up enjoying Destiny PvP. The former, however, is what happens whenever I play in competitive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I know they said ahead of time that it was a "known issue" that if you melted the pursuit that the Cryptarch gave you, he wouldn't give it back again. But... do they plan on fixing that bug? Cuz I melted that poo poo and he still ain't giving it back. I'm sure it's just a couple powerful engrams lost at this point but it's kinda strange to list out a bunch of bugs pre-Shadowkeep and then just... not fix them within a couple weeks.

Wait, I take it back. Last Wish probably still Guitars if you do wishes, doesn't it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 19, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

I hate random rolls tied to armor. I want to separate fashion from utility but some dick at Bungie thinks this is good design.

My armor 2.1 dream - turn every armor set into universal ornaments.
I honestly thought that's what it was going to be. I don't know how or why Bungie keeps half-stepping their way towards what people want but they do it just enough to keep people coming back so it's obviously working.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

All this talk makes me want to set up some AHK script so I can hot key DIM loadouts faster than the game will respawn me.
Fair warning, I got suspended from the crucible for 2 weeks when Forsaken launched because they saw I was running AHK... which I use mainly for doing Windows shortcuts.

Normally they won't even tell you that, I was just lucky I knew someone on the inside who relayed the info to me.

Edit: Creating and swapping DIM loadouts live mid-PvP match is the sweatiest thing I've ever heard of.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 7, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have autohotkey running on my computer literally 24/7 because i have a script to change the Windows volume settings with a keyboard key, and I never ran into any kind of crucible ban.
I guess they turned off detection for that in New Light?
Nah, it's just completely random who/when they scan.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sekenr posted:

I have to say, as much as I am usually unimpressed by destiny writing, the dental hygiene speech ckackedc me up :D
It's honestly the best written thing in the entire game. Cayde could learn a thing or two from Eris's jokes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Week 1: Hrmmm collect me Vex components I have an idea.
Week 2: Look, I erected all this construction equipment to build a portal!
Week 3: The portal is coming along nicely, go get more components.
Week 4: Sorry, portal isn't done yet.
Week whatever it is now: Okay, I know you're excited to use the portal, so get ready and... do the same Vex Offensive you've been doing and we'll change the boss. ENJOY!

Why is this game so dumb (and why do I keep playing it anyway.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

Gambit is way more esports than any crucible mode
Very much this. When Gambit first hit I told my Bungie friend that this is the poo poo they should be pushing for eSports. Then it took months for private matches to be available and nobody ever cared to eSportsify it so what could have been a pretty fun thing to watch pros play with a proper spectator mode ended up being... just another Destiny game mode.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rookersh posted:

After the Red War is there a coherent plot through all the expansions?
No but NPCs would occasionally talk about the Red War being 1 or 2 years ago while the expansions went live, sorta making it seem like time in the real world matches time in the game. I don't think any of that dialog has stuck around, though, and was timed-event-specific. I think they made sure none of the expansions were connected specifically so they could do this New Light stuff.

I think by playing late you miss out on Forsaken's weekly queen-related plot but I don't actually know.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rookersh posted:

I assume if I'm really just starting now, the chance of me getting Undying is near nonexistent.
Considering the Vex Offensive is going to go offline in a few hours and it requires you to do poo poo in there, yeah, nonexistent.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

there's two more weeks, dude
What the gently caress. I could have sworn that in-game pop-up news article last week said "the final week of battling vex yadda yadda" how loving senile am I getting here?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ijyt posted:

I really cannot be hosed with the Eriana catalyst. There was always another weapon I wanted to use in that slot and I’m only at 16% :v:
Same. I'm giving up on it, so my bounty/quests are down to 62 slots total now.

What, it's not like I'm gonna disassemble it at 16% done!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

I keep watching this clip and thinking about how dumb it was for this titan to use his barrier when he had heavy. Like there's no way I could've closed the distance or won from range against thunderlord if he hadn't hid behind his barrier.
I play a slightly-better-than-average crucible and let me tell you...
few people actually know what they're doing at all times in Crucible.

Stream your gameplay and you'll have plenty of folks ask why you did random derpy thing instead of other obviously better thing, even if you're the top spot for the fifth match in a row.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

the good fax machine posted:

Does pooom post in this thread

https://youtu.be/OiBBZdzhukc @1:40

lol
I haven't watched one of these kinds of vids since that wild Lord of Wolves video but upon watching this I find it humorous that this dude doesn't make amazing plays, they're just the good parts of a day of playing edited hilariously.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I said this in-game but it's worth putting in the thread too.

If you've ever wanted to know what it's like to be Mary Poppins, play the new solar sub-class for Warlock. Spend most of your time just floating in the air for fun and headshots. Also your melee is basically a short range grenade so that's fun.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

They should keep the obelisks around.
I knew at some point the seasonal-only activity getting lost to time was going to actually bother folks. Vex Offense was small enough not to matter but this season is fleshed out enough that we'll be mourning the loss of the sundial. I wish Bungie would just go the route that Path of Exile took and keep a miniature, out-of-the-way version of the activities that could be accessed at will but unnecessary enough (in this game's case: doesn't drop seasonal engrams) that it doesn't soak up the matchmaking population that they are trying to not spread out too thin among too many activities.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

anybody else think it's weird to have Ikora warn us about altering timelines when we just spent last season doing so at her direction
About as weird as the fact that the sundial only takes us to timelines that exactly match the same past and future that the infinite forest takes us to and nowhere in between.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think they're looking at the problem backward and they should do things to make the existing source (old raids) more relevant. Random rolls on the raid weapons, and we'd be running the Y1 raids all the time (except spire lol)
Here's my "I'm about to go to bed so here's a random idea I just came up with" post.
All Y1/Y2 content should give 1 currency:
Said currency should be used to do 3 things. 1: Buy engrams that drop things from Y1/Y2, 10% of which is something you don't already have. 2: At a higher price, allow you to specify any Y1/Y2 item you want, including catalysts. 3: Just straight up buy more XP because the Season Pass makes me want XP more than anything else now.
Definitely worse idea:
Tweak the old raids to be separated into 2 difficulties: Casual and Prestige. Casual enemy power is at whatever it was when the raid released with no caps on level difference so everything is basically 1 hit kill and barely hurts you. A real power fantasy for those of us who feel like power doesn't mean jack poo poo anymore. No darkness zone so respawns are quick and team wipes don't mean the activity ends. Gives about 5-10 times currency-per-minute as every other Y1/Y2 activity. Prestige is just however prestige raids are now, gives 50 times currency.

I feel like sunsetting rallies and trials was actually putting them on track to do the right thing and just cause the entire game's activity list to rotate in and out to avoid player density loss but instead of figuring it out, they decided forcing FOMO via 1-season-only activities was the better idea. I think keeping all activities but cycling their rewards around is the better call, which the daily/weekly powerful engrams were close to doing. Combined with the Dawning grind (one of the worse grinds I've experienced in this game) and the obelisk grind, I feel like Destiny 2 isn't a game for people like me who actually want to play other games. I feel like my time just isn't being respected.

But maybe I'm not the target audience anymore since I won't spend money on cosmetics.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 14, 2020

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

Anyways, they should remove all the horde modes from the game and make a single horde mode on the director that has matchmaking and utilizes PvP maps.
Come to think of it, they already did the right thing with the forges by having them rotate daily. Just do this with the current horde modes as well. One day you do the well. Another day is a sundial. Another day is menagerie.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Rubellavator posted:

I wish for an end to precision hit bounties.
:same:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Roman posted:

Confirmed there won't be a World First for the puzzle and no hints will be given unless Bungie finds a bug. All they've said is "good job so far." So we might be waiting a while.
All I saw was a headline saying Bungie wanted this puzzle to be "a marathon" instead of a sprint, as the last ones have been. So the streamers are probably on the right track but Bungie (as usual) is missing the forest for the trees here. There's no point to doing this. It doesn't make people want to play the game. It doesn't make people want to watch streams of the game. It doesn't make streamers enjoy the game. It's just... useless.

Which kinda makes me wonder if it's not a small group of people at Bungie trying to keep their jobs and successfully persuading their bosses about how this kind of thing brings in more free marketing which leads to more people playing. They'd be wrong but I've seen it happen plenty of times.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

When you visit the emblem room and look at the code under the floor, you only get to see ONE hexagon, of like 5000 possible.
The one thing I don't understand about this puzzle is why only the emblem room's floor puzzle matters. What about the 18 others? Or are those not generated?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Bungie said it's time-gated. They didn't use the exact words "time-gated" but they said it's a marathon and not to rush it and stuff like that.
I think that more has to do with the fact that collecting 5000 puzzle pieces from players is gonna take a while and less to do with any locks Bungie has on the content.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This is some "Mew is under the truck in Pokemon" poo poo except it's real and hilarious.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sestze posted:

that's the long and short of it. it didn't result in anyone's death, nobody's losing a huge amount of money due to the mistake. It's absurd to have them become a dead man walking at that job for the next three months until his eventual termination.

He was skilled enough to get the job in the first place, all that talent, thrown out.

glad he's moved on to working at the panopticon, at least, not a bad shift imho
Release Engineer is a position I had at my last company so I feel whatever pain (caused the failure in the release process) or vindication (they warned someone this would happen due to a failure in the process) Bungie's release engineer(s) felt from releasing a bug so bad it caused downtime and a rollback. That said, the software I worked on had a history of being jank despite holding a user concurrency somewhere in the 5-figure range (a number we desperately stared at) so when I single-handedly brought the entire server farm down and our brand new CTO sitting across from me began to freak out, I just laughed, told him "yo, it's me, I did that, it'll be up in 20" I didn't even get a slap on the wrist.

Which was terrible in terms of "nobody at this company knows how to plan and leadership sits on their thumbs" but wonderful in terms of job security.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sample_text posted:

Is there any chance Bungie would consider "Ghost Shells 2.0" ?
I have this really cool disco ball Ghost I wanna use, but its bonuses don't compete with the Snowflake ghost I bought from the dust shop.
They couldn't even get Armor 2.0 right by forcing the usable skins to be a specific set rather than everything you have in collections so what makes you think they'd ever get anything else cosmetic-related right? Especially when they have to limit that selection in order to make Eververse stuff seem like a nicer option by comparison.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Has Bungie ever gone back to change any encounters in Destiny 2? Or 1 for that matter? Changing HP values or fixing bugs don't count.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's not true but I'm going to pretend that every person who left the Destiny team to work on Bungie's next project did so just to get away from Luke Smith.

"We heard people hate FOMO so we're going to make less FOMO. Get rid of FOMO completely? No. Just... have less..." Great job.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is one of their biggest flaws in design. They roll out a legendary+ weapon (recluse) that takes quite the effort to get. People get it, love that it’s overpowered, but then they nerf it to make room for the next guns. They always act like the nerfs are necessary and a surprising development and they’re so sorry. But holy poo poo, the moment these weapons are conceived their eventual nerfs are conceived as well. It’s all part of their model and strategy.
Ah yes, the League of Legends model.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ponzicar posted:

1. Cleaning up the arenas after matches
Viscera Cleanup Detail is, at this point, more fun than Destiny's grind so this sounds pretty good!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

XBenedict posted:

What the hell content have I missed?
H Jon Benjamin is also in the credits but missing from the game. Bungie's weird.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Easiest 600RPM AR to farm is the kinetic Ether Doctor.
An Ether Doctor was the first good weapon I got in Forsaken and it carried me all the way up until I got a masterworked Chattering Bone from my first raid which carried me until I got a masterworked Blast Furnace. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

dragonshardz posted:

Which is why tilesets like "Titan Arcology", "Taken-Infested Io Caves", "The Dreaming City" would be a marked improvement to the current ten or so Mercury-themed rooms.

Semi-random generation is good for a lot of situations where you need or want a lot of content for little effort.
I'm under the suspicion that because Destiny doesn't run on an engine that supports streaming assets in a viable-for-what-we-want way, and because it has to work on consoles, having "tilesets" would greatly increase the overall size of Destiny 2's already bloated disk space. The haunted/verdant forest is barely a tileset as is because it's just the assets from the first expansion with some modified lighting and a few additional brushes here and there. It's likely most of the work went into the programming of the mode.

Just a suspicion, though, based on the idea that they knew since before the release of the infinite forest what they should have done with the infinite forest and the best they could come up with was the menagerie and sundial.