Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No, but it looks like convoy drivers might need to get a license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

goatface posted:

No, but it looks like convoy drivers might need to get a license.

See this would be a good thing for the UCI

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Have they instituted a maximum computer mount/computer length yet?

I think they'll see what happens this season. The computer mounts were silly last year and if they are full TT bar length in a grand tour we'll see a change.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/Noticiclismo1/status/1358081167996649477?s=19

Ganna is a monster.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Win the race by simply going faster than the other riders. Seems obvious, more people should try it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Woof

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1358141121038270468

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just straight up transplanted some horse thighs into him.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'm the FDJ rider that does the full on sprint and still loses ground so blames the camera bike.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Well GCN don't have to do a 5 v 1 video now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
UCI have banned having just your forearms on the bars ala TT position on road bikes.

You're also getting a 30 second penalty in stage races for chucking litter and bottles outside of the designated zones. Do this a 2nd time and its a 2 minute penalty. 3rd time and you're out.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-forearms-on-bars-aero-position-adds-penalties-for-littering/

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

UCI have banned having just your forearms on the bars ala TT position on road bikes.

You're also getting a 30 second penalty in stage races for chucking litter and bottles outside of the designated zones. Do this a 2nd time and its a 2 minute penalty. 3rd time and you're out.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-bans-forearms-on-bars-aero-position-adds-penalties-for-littering/

But what about having you're forearms on the handlebar while holding onto the computer? And those hella ugly long road bars that you rest your forearms on too

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Glad to see the UCI implementing all of this rider safety poo poo that no-one in the peloton asked for.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:
The actual rule is apparently: "The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the bicycle. This position requires that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle."

Seems completely objective and I’m sure will never lead to controversy.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Have they relaxed any of the geometry rules? Cool new bikes would be good compensation

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't that already the rule about ride position? Have they actually changed it or are they just going to enforce it?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

goatface posted:

Wasn't that already the rule about ride position?

It was. The "holding onto the hoods with flat forearms" position (which is basically as good) is almost certainly still legal.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah the rule has been around for ages but its apparent they're going to enforce it.

More to stop the idiots in Cat 3 crashing constantly than the Pro Peloton but well...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Have they relaxed any of the geometry rules? Cool new bikes would be good compensation

You're going to see a lot more people rotate their body positions forward, up to the 5cm saddle setback limit or seek morphological exemption. This will allow long-legged, short-torsoed riders to adopt the "prawn" or "mantis" position with their elbows bent and hands on the tops...without their knees banging into their elbows.

I'm not in favor of any of these bans, personally, but I do think that "puppy paws" is actually more dangerous than "supertucking." In the supertuck, you're still gripping the bars with your hands. With puppy paws, it's just your forearms keeping the bars straight. One depression or bump in the road and you're likely to go down.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 9, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Clipon aero bars (eg, the Cinelli Spinacchi bars) were banned from road races for the same reason and the "invisible aero bars" thing seems just as iffy, so yeah I can see them wanting to ban that.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I wonder how Hirschi feels about all of this

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Off topic but I thought I had seen all the cool old docos on youtube and then I found this the other day looking for something else. Some sweet bikes in there, and some old pros in the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mmHOcDxWYQ

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/amp/news/trentin-hits-back-at-rider-criticism-of-uci-super-tuck-ban/?__twitter_impression=true

Trentin: If you couldn't be arsed to come to the meetings or open the emails about safety changes you don't get to complain now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

16 out of 800. drat.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TELEVISED RACING

Also the DQS twitter is talking about Brave New World for some reason

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

16 out of 800. drat.

If you're going to bleat to the media that you want safety improvements the least you could do is actually read about them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why would they read anything about regulations when they have a support staff to tell them about it later? It's just inefficient.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Surprisingly good stage of Tdl Provence, complete with a random bit of UCI fuckery afterwards

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

serious gaylord posted:

If you're going to bleat to the media that you want safety improvements the least you could do is actually read about them.

This sort of thing shouldn't be done only via e-mail though, or it should be heavily telegraphed by the UCI across several forms of communication. It makes a lot more sense to also send team management the same information so that they relay it to the riders themselves. My default behavior with e-mail is to ignore it unless I'm expecting to be contacted.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

This sort of thing shouldn't be done only via e-mail though, or it should be heavily telegraphed by the UCI across several forms of communication. It makes a lot more sense to also send team management the same information so that they relay it to the riders themselves. My default behavior with e-mail is to ignore it unless I'm expecting to be contacted.
Counterpoint: Everywhere I've worked, I've been expected to read and understand pretty much everything sent to me, as part of the salaried position, including things sent from various regulatory bodies (and when you deal with PII in Europe, let me tell you, that's no small feat).

These riders have a responsibility for themselves and their fellow riders, and if they get a lot of email and can't keep up, then maybe they should turn off TikTok email notifications.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You're not a professional athlete though, you've been picked partially because you can deal with that rather than because you have strong legs and big lungs.

TobinHatesYou posted:

"Athletes don't engage with their representing body" is a pretty uniform thing across most sports, tbh.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Counterpoint: it's their loving job.
They should do what they're paid to, and no more.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is more like reading your union communications. You don't have to, but it sometimes helps if you do.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm not going to get mad at them for not reading it but it does kind of gently caress up their argument if they don't read it. Like, you're not helping yourselves here lads.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
I think TobinHatesYou already touched on the point that most policy changes under go more engagement efforts than this, I have a different gripe. Since they can tell how well it was engaged upon based on metrics from the email campaign, it seems extremely intentional to proceed without another follow-up through some other medium. The UCI either wanted it to be completed without much opposition, or they are lazy and incompetent to the point they should not be a governing body of anything outside a local BMX race.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ah yes, Big Cycling is out to get the riders.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Hawkline posted:

I think TobinHatesYou already touched on the point that most policy changes under go more engagement efforts than this, I have a different gripe. Since they can tell how well it was engaged upon based on metrics from the email campaign, it seems extremely intentional to proceed without another follow-up through some other medium. The UCI either wanted it to be completed without much opposition, or they are lazy and incompetent to the point they should not be a governing body of anything outside a local BMX race.

Lmao they're not pulling some underhanded misdirection campaign to actively gently caress over riders, they're coming up with a safety initiative that a bunch of babies are complaining about because they think they're good at doing the thing that got banned, but weren't smart enough to notice the ban was about to happen when everything took place in plain sight.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the same people complaining about UCI pushing through this change complain when UCI is mired in bureaucracy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The riders didn’t come to safety meetings already, so it seems like this is just a continuation.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Mont Ventoux stage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The Hirschi story has taken a weird turn:

https://www.wielerflits.be/nieuws/marc-hirschi-en-team-dsm-uit-elkaar-vanwege-vertrouwensbreuk/

The management and sponsors allegedly considered him a risk to their reputation.