Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
Can someone explain the #critbeef to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
no, but I have these delicious pog-wiches for the thread to enjoy while we wait

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

accipter posted:

Can someone explain the #critbeef to me?

Justin Williams was amateur crit champ in 2019. Travis McCabe was pro crit champ in 2019. McCabe had a contract with ISN for 2020, Williams runs his own team, L39ion. Neither raced much in 2020 due to COVID, McCabe ended his ISN contract and now races for the (Amateur) Best Buddies squad. L39ion moved up to ProConti for 2021 but Justin isn’t actually signed to the team so he could maintain his amateur status and keep wearing the amateur us champ jersey. Because COVID cancelled the 2020 champs, both racers got to keep their jersey until this year.

Shortly before the season started, Best Buddies posted a pic of a new signing to Instagram with the caption “This changes everything”. Justin replied in the comments: “lol, it changes nothing “ and it started a lot of trash talking in the comments, with McCabe insinuating that Justin’s national champs jersey was a fake since McCabe was the pro champ.

It’s mostly internet trash talk and a little bit of pro-wrestling style hype. On the cycling tips podcast last week they said that the engagement on all their crit posts were through the roof, so that’s good.

L39ion dusted everybody in last weekends Tulsa Tough races, and were looking good to take the win at Pro Nats just now but a last lap crash wrecked the field and some pro mtb guy won and is now the national crit champ.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Luke Lamperti isn't a pro MTB guy. He's an 18 year old U23 from NorCal who previously raced road for Lux Development. He's insanely strong.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

tylertfb posted:

L39ion dusted everybody in last weekends Tulsa Tough races, and were looking good to take the win at Pro Nats just now but a last lap crash wrecked the field and some pro mtb guy won and is now the national crit champ.

Thanks! L39ion was looking unstoppable coming out of Tulsa, which was fun to see. I tried to watch the races this weekend only to find that they were only carried by Flo. The crash looked awful from the Twitter videos.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Luke Lamperti isn't a pro MTB guy. He's an 18 year old U23 from NorCal who previously raced road for Lux Development. He's insanely strong.

Thank you for the info. Good job by the kid!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ganna came 4th in the national TT??????

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Ganna came 4th in the national TT??????

I figured he wasn't bothered because he has rainbows and the Olympics is coming up but apparently he want to win the ITT and the road race.

Sobrero was climbing super well in Slovenia so vlasov might be about to have competition for GC lead.

Also re: #critbeef the idea of a national champs jersey for a road race that is laps is dumb. Is Lou Lou technically world crit champ or were those laps too long?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'd laugh at the drama of the US amateur cycling but then we have national champs for time trialing on the road and on race tracks so....

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Watching the Belgian nationals and it’s a 3 way fight between WvA, Remco, and Edward Theuns. Come on big Eddy.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
drat

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1406626139087511557

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cool seeing all the new champs, meanwhile I don't think there's even a date set for the British one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The most important news is that Toms Skujins is back in the Latvian jersey.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Do any teams even do proper national champion jerseys anymore?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

It's only UAE that does the hilariously poor ones. DQS in particular do proper full flag ones.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

African AIDS cum posted:

FDJ does ones without sponsor logos, even (definitely a Marc Madiot decision)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 20, 2021

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

It also depends on the national association. Some like the Belgians are very protective of what they will allow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Even Movistar and Astana started using a white jersey base for the Spanish kit rather than putting stripes on a blue jersey which always looked so bad

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The most important news is that Toms Skujins is back in the Latvian jersey.

He's the only world tour guy that will come on the local group rides when he's in town. So I'm a fan.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Lauren Stephens and Joey Rosskopf won the USA national champ RR jerseys today. No one could catch Stephens in her race and Rosskopf had the best timing on his attack out of everyone there. Both well-deserved wins.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

:siren:cav is going to the tour:siren:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If Cavendish wins stages and the Tour turns out to be as much as a 2012 repeat as it's looking, I will go fully Joker.

Seriously though that Ineos lineup is idiotic. Can not wait for that team to get Festina'd, complete with police raids and TGH crying on French TV with bleached hair or something.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Holy poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Cavendish might actually get me to watch the US coverage. Like it's horrible but there is nothing to compare to how loving awful Eurosport coverage of cycling was when Cavendish and Froome were winning everything. I'd rather listen to Phil's senility and whatever poo poo Chris Horner says.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cav Cav Cav :toot:

I see such little chance of Ineos winning the Tour. Yes it's an absurdly strong team, but a strong team just can't change the fact that at the sharp end Roglic/Pogacar are stronger than all of them in everything that matters. The most ruinous mountain train imaginable makes no difference if Roglic just sits on the back of it then crushes all of them in the last kilometre.

They will probably end up with 5 riders in the top 10 though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hell yeah Cav

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Before start of Tour: "Cav only needs 4 stage wins to tie the legendary Eddy Merckx!"
After his first crash: ...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

:hellyeah:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Colbrelli is a loving freight train at the moment so my moneys on him for the sprint wins tbf, but Cav will get one. The power of friendship wins all.

Also the Ineos team looks strong on paper but 3 of the top riders there are liable to crash out every single stage due to their idiocy so...

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Cav won't even get a top 5

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
https://twitter.com/MarkCavendish/status/1406976887994335239

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Cav v greipel on the champs, tasty.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Someone get Kittel on the phone.

Also they're broadcasting Race Radio at the tour online this year.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 21, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Also they're broadcasting Race Radio at the tour online this year.

Niiiiice

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gonna see if I can put it on during the stages I'm at work. Treat it like TMS.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/Cyclingnewsfeed/status/1407250608910897152?s=19

Extremely funny if true

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I see Mark Padun didn't get picked. Did he go a bit too OTT for the Tour?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Of the riders racing, Cavendish has more wins than any other team, as many as the next three riders put together (Sagan, Greipel, Froome), and as many as the bottom 13 teams put together - which includes Ineos, Movistar and Team Bike Exchange.

We all know he has a lot of wins, but that's a lot of wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

peanut- posted:

I see Mark Padun didn't get picked. Did he go a bit too OTT for the Tour?

It makes me wonder if that team got a very stern letter, or if they decided he was a liability.