Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Do we not like Carapaz?

Edit: also matey that won gave a top notch post race interview. Loads of interesting detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Far from an expert on these things but I can't help but feel a bit uneasy when someone looks that dominant.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

peanut- posted:

God Michael Matthews is a prick, hope he gets relegated for that

What did he do? Missed it

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Smirr posted:

It's in the video two posts up - he swerved pretty badly to try to block in Colbrelli

Oh. I'm a muppet. Yeh that looks pretty blatant

I've been mountain biking in Tignes a few times (great place, as it happens, some awesome trails.). It's a really. Really. Long way up. I cant imagine riding up there, especially after a days riding. Even driving up there seems to take forever.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

He doesn't look particularly happy whenever the camera is on him either.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Alaphillipe always seems genuinely happy to be riding for Cav from what I've seen. Might get old, I guess.

Edit: poo poo cobrelli. That sucks. Mind you I don't like him and I'm not entirely sure why so I'm not that bothered.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

He's caught right back up and is in the front group. Wonder if he burnt out much getting back.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Love seeing alaphillipe at the front. What a lad.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Holy poo poo cav. You old bastard. Dqs were all over that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

He's a pretty humble/generous chap in these interviews.

Haha another swear.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Don't envy them today. Not far off 200km and Ventoux twice? Disgusting.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Carrier posted:

bit worried for are cav

Wiggins seemed to think he was looking perky. I can't see alaphillipe being out the front like this if they thought he at least had a good chance of making it through.

But yeh a bit worried here too.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Not gonna lie if I was knackered and riding up a loving mountain some of those fans would do my head in.

"Oh I'll just stick this flag in your face until the last possible second"

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Haha yes Cav

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Oh. Froome is in the breakaway. I didn't realise he was racing.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Cav saying there are no skin suits left, the TDF didn't make enough this year lol

That's...a bit poo poo. Frankly.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Wtf did they fall asleep and ride off the edge or something. That looks grim.

Yates looks like he's hosed.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Yates out :(

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Sean Kelly proving that he's a cyclist, not a highway engineer. "this road furniture is an obstruction to traffic" yes that's the entire point mate.

VVV agreed, its a great sight.

Roblo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 9, 2021

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

loving HELL Cav. Mental. I didnt think he had that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Won by a wheel length

Yeah that looked pretty dominant.

Morkov looked pretty relaxed at the last second and he...came second.

VV Morkov coming second reduced the amount of points anyone else got, so thats a bonus for Cavs green

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Not going lie after they came around that corner i didnt think he was going to have that, looked like he was completely swarmed. Shows how good he is that he popped out the front like that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Load of stuff about how he didn't just win sprints, he won TT's, X grand tours, mountain stages etc etc. He did start off by congratulating cav but it still looks a bit bitter.

I mean fair enough, but bike racing has changed a lot since he was riding.

Most people online seem to be pretty pleased for Cav but there is the occasional lovely comment, Sagan fans probably. Or people who don't get bike racing "can't win yellow though can he" or "all he does is just ride on other people's wheels".

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

well, given Cav's miracle resurgence in form, can of worms and all that.

See I don't think it stands out that much. Half of Cavs winning is down to his weird savant sprinting brain, and it's not like he doesn't have a lot of experience. I think the guys to proud to dope, personally. Well that and the fact a lot of the other big sprinters have dropped out, and that he's got an incredible lead out.

Had cav not had 5 years off his number would be massive by now.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

Via the guardian live feed:

Following Wednesday’s stage 17, Philippe Gilbert (Lotto
Soudal) was riding back down the Col de Portet, when he saw a cyclo-tourist lose it on a corner and crash into a ravine. Gilbert, along with Chris Froome and Chris Juul-Jensen, stopped to help and to raise the alarm.

“I lost almost twenty minutes to help this man! We called for help because he was still badly messed up,” Gilbert told Belgian broadcaster RTBF, via cyclingnews.com.

Fair play.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I miss team time trials. Always enjoyed watching them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

According to the guardian live feed some rider is accusing 4 teams (not sure which ones) of mechanical doping. Says there is a weird whirring noise coming from their bikes.

Right.