Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’m pretty sure the doping that’s happening at UAE and Jumbo is of the corruption variety paired with tried and true blood doping. The sheikhs are paid up with the right people at wada (or are exerting other uhh “political” pressure) and it doesn’t matter if the whole UAE team has radioactive blood and piss, those tests will always come back negative magically.

It’s much easier to circumvent the human element rather than do a bunch of fancy science that may or may not work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

Those Dutch supermarket sheikhs :argh:

Team formerly known as Rabobank probably relies more heavily on close former relationships.... and you know $$$$ as it always goes. So likely not as powerful as an oil state, meaning they may have fewer "protected" riders.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 24, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Now that’s pod racing! Race had literally everything.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 18, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Heliosicle posted:

The WC52 - FC Porto cyclists all tested negative, which (given the other evidence) suggests that there's undetectable secret sauce out there

Can also be that current testing programmes just can't detect state of the art doping regimens using known PEDs

I'm going to keep on harping my "corruption doping" stance here. They threw the director under the bus probably because he wouldn't pay whoever wanted to be paid and found a new guy who will. Then magically, the tests are negative.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Heh oh well at least there is XCO in Czech today.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The last 15k was just awesome and the sportsmanship between two great athletes at the end :discourse:

I feel like you see a lot more of this sort of camaraderie/respect shown in slopestyle, downhill and women's XCO/XCC. Happy to see it in stogy road bikes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do they not leave the cage on the cap?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm guessing Russian Bear was thinking that the cage is removed ahead of time and riders, who obviously don't know how to operate a bottle you don't squeeze, were just shaking the bubbly slightly and boom headshot. Opposed to just aiming directly at their face as they remove the cage and cork.

Sucks for the rider, lol though that they don't know how to open a bottle of bubbly.

Yep, before i watched the video i thought he bent over and it hit before he was expecting because they took it off.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Do you expect someone to remove the cork with the cage still installed somehow?

What rex said and also as a completely irrelevant aside....

If poppin' bottles is your job (heyoo food service), you are taught to leave the cage on with one "twist" remaining in the wire, put a towel over the cork and twist the bottle while holding the cork still to prevent accidents. Obviously a little different on the podium. Hope he can start and doesn't have any long term issues like diplopia that can gently caress up his future.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm still waiting for a TTT in the middle of the 3rd week of a grand tour, day before 2-3 mountain stages in a row.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

HappyCamperGL posted:

uci rules are you can only have a ttt in the first third of the race iirc. so latest is end of the first week.

Counterpoint: uci can eat my entire rear end

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

All drug cheats

Do you want to see guys doing 6.7w/kg up a hill or not.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rojkir posted:

e; I don't think the currnet Jumbo-Visma team has any remaining ties to the Rabobank team, except both being from the Netherland. They cleaned house pretty hard.

You clean house all you want, but if the structures remain, the outcomes are usually not all that different.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/Domestique___/status/1538533428651491331

Sports Movie villain level shithousery but extremely smart riding.

Didn’t a similar thing happen in the giro donna some years back?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lampart's position doesn't look awfully aero (i'm sure it is). Cool to see a surprise win today.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It would be funny if they swapped around and were Lotto Alpha Vinyl.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

“We wired the money”

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

TobinHatesYou posted:

I still think about this post sometimes.

:lol: thank you for this

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If they come for the queen they better not gently caress it up, which they will because UCI.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Scandinavian summer dream. Miss summers in Stockholm :sigh:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can't you just get a TUE for tramadol? Bingo bango

European champs should be abolished. There're no Panams or Asian jerseys.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Primoz to win the Vuelta for the next 100 years

Nah he’s bound to crash out several times

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Anything worth watching happened yet?

First day today in a country worth racing a grand tour in, so give it a day or two.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Utter binmen in the chase. Holy poo poo. That was awesome, go Soler.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

rando with a monster climb, but he's from a nice country and not Eastern Europe so it's not suspicious

He's on the kangaroo sauce.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

peanut- posted:

This race has been designed from start to finish for him to win. Every rampas inhumanas in Spain has been bypassed for a 15km 6% gradient motorway.

Do we not get a covadonga or something similar this year?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Can WADA even get all the way down there?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Valverde has been banned from riding the worlds by Movistar because they need him to go try and win World Tour ranking points so they don't get booted out.

Lol at the joke team, relying on grandpa to save the day. He should just retire immediately after vuelta if they don’t let him go.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

When did the point system start? Was it a recent thing to spice up racing? I don’t remember this being an issue 5 years ago.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Vuelta should be all about going up 20+% gradient climbs for a week in a row, not whatever this was.

Also give us a TTT at the end of the second week you cowards (or whenever the latest possible day is allowed by the losers at the UCI).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

UCI to ban birds in 2023.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No TTTs allowed in the back end of tours, because team sizes may be wildly different

This is exactly why they should be allowed. Take time on the 4th rider across the line.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Covid yeah ok lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

loving awful y’all :(

Mader had a thing where he donated money to climate change charities for every rider he was ahead of in the race. Seems like he was a top man.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

No way they put any funny sram crap on stages where it actually matters. Maybe like a flat transit one or a rest day.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gotta live Mas

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Oh man remember Contador’s come back Vuelta after his ban? That was loving great.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The relegation rules are a joke.

They can have a big peaceful sprint finish in Jenin.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 8, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finally catching up on last couple of stages, I’m loving this absolutely brutal slugging match with basically nothing happening between Pog and Jonas.

Also just checking in on our conversation many pages back about the 1x on Jonas’ bike… as expected a 2x for last few stages, saw the camera zoom in for one of his attacks.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

In a 4 person pursuit (or team time trial), the person in 3rd position is in the easiest spot.

And yeah pro race speeds are so high because of all the vehicles around. I remember Cancellara pulling away in Flanders once and he was just gone, 4 motos in front of him smashing a 53x11 at like 30mph and it was glorious but also kinda lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Lol wow he disrespected that course.

Lol if you think either are clean.

If Jonas crashes out tomorrow will be even more lol.

Also will teams stop trying to make bike changes happen? It’s never faster.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 18, 2023