Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heh, I remember the jokes about Italian orange juice being the the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A TV channel called TV2 here in Denmark has been doing a series of what they call 'Tour De Ja-vu" where they look back on all kinds of stuff that happened in the Tour over the years, mostly with a focus on Danes, but also a bit of other subjects.
So of course the topic of doping has come up a lot, since doping was as big of a part of the Tour back in the 90s as it was.

It's quite interesting to rewatch these things, because they ride in a completely different way compared to today.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

What the hell rear end kind of finish was that.

Also, Alaphilippe might've lost his yellow jersey because of the people who took the bonus points ahead of him?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seeing captain-on-captain head-to-head like todays stage was an absolute treat, and I hope what we saw today means we'll have more of them during the race.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This stage was supposed to be Bardets territory - I didn't know that the stage would instead own Bardet.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh right - stage 15 is Grand Colombier, 3 times.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

"I don't really know what kind of shape I'm in" --Søren Kragh Andersen, 2020, prior to today's stage, after already having won one stage during this Tour De France and been in maillot blanc for a week during the debut Tour.

That was such an impressive way of cheating all of the sprinters, I'm absolutely floored.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Heliosicle posted:

Pogacar took white, polka and yellow in one go
this should be illegal, it's practically murder!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Has it ever happened that anyone has had maillot jaune, maillot blanc, and maillot à pois rouges in the same year?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Smirr posted:

For those of you who have the dubious pleasure of being able to read Danish, Jakob Fuglsang has been :airquote:blogging:airquote: every stage of this Giro for a Danish :airquote:newspaper:airquote:. Here's today's installment https://www.bt.dk/cykling/fuglsangs-klumme-der-gik-rygter-om-at-i-dag-var-sidste-etape, with links to the previous stages on that page. It's actually fairly nuanced, but the lede reads "The dream is not over yet. I haven't tested positive for corona, and the race hasn't been cancelled" and I lolled when I read that so that's all I'll translate
:denmark:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Withnail posted:

right before his handlebar fell off?
It was moved outside of the peloton.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

This sort of thing shouldn't be done only via e-mail though, or it should be heavily telegraphed by the UCI across several forms of communication. It makes a lot more sense to also send team management the same information so that they relay it to the riders themselves. My default behavior with e-mail is to ignore it unless I'm expecting to be contacted.
Counterpoint: Everywhere I've worked, I've been expected to read and understand pretty much everything sent to me, as part of the salaried position, including things sent from various regulatory bodies (and when you deal with PII in Europe, let me tell you, that's no small feat).

These riders have a responsibility for themselves and their fellow riders, and if they get a lot of email and can't keep up, then maybe they should turn off TikTok email notifications.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Counterpoint: it's their loving job.
They should do what they're paid to, and no more.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ah yes, Big Cycling is out to get the riders.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if the same people complaining about UCI pushing through this change complain when UCI is mired in bureaucracy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

paperwind posted:

Pedersen owes Asgreen a few Carlsbergs (or whatever Danish people actually drink) for that one.

Edit: Seriously though, why did Asgreen bury himself there if not for a temporary Danish national alliance?
In Danish, we have a word which means that someone in uncontrollable, excessive, and defiant of regular civil norms - and Asgreen embodies being 'fandenivoldsk', because sometimes he just does poo poo like this for no apparent reason, and when he's interviewed about it afterwards he just said he had such a good time out there.
He's an absolute delight.

I do imagine Danes are beginning to focus on the spring classics, now that we've seen in the last years that they can be won by Danish talent, and would rather see it go to another Dane than someone they're on team with? There is a pretty strong sense of togetherness in the Danish collective spirit, as it underlies the whole 'hygge' we're completely failing to export to the rest of the world.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 1, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:emptyquote:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I always find it weird when a Portugese rider actually shows up on a big team, I had heard teams really don't like signing them because of how bad the local scene is with dope
The entire industry is rife with doping.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel as if there were too few duomi on todays stage.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:siren: DUOMO :siren:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Can someone make a smiley with a duomo combined with the siren and the text "DUOMO" next to it?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I took the day off work for this stage. Oh well, new wheels have arrived so I can spend it building my bike with it on in the background.
It's a public holiday here in Denmark (and probably other parts of the world that still keep Christian traditions despite not being very religious), so there's a lot people who were looking forward to a day inside watching cycling, I bet - especially since the weather is cold and dreary.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nice kissyface.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double grand tour winner at 24 - we're gonna be seeing Eggy for a long time.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's a couple of issues that play into it:
Firstly, as one might expect, the more precise you try and make the estimations, the more they're likely to jump around erratically.
Secondly, measuring a GPS signal on a bike where the distance to the riders is constantly changing from minute to minute as they drive in front of and behind the drivers is likely to throw off measurements.
Thirdly, getting the GPS data from the bikes to the the technical village involves using the same shared medium that every other data connection from every other person near the bike race is using.
Finally, even if it was an exact science, what would that add to the sport? I'm a big fan of not knowing who's going to win before they cross the finish line and think it keeps the sport a little more interesting.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Nice mountains.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Moviestar... good?????

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Seb Kuss looks SUPER strong all of a sudden.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

peanut- posted:

Kuss always looks strong then always goes way too early and pops ages before the finish
But OP, what if he doesn't????

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

peanut- posted:

Reader, he did.
:hmmyes:

Also, Padun shows us how you eat yourself.

EDIT: Now the question is whether Porte is still bad at mountain descents? Because that could decide things tomorrow.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 5, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Speaking of La Plange this was fun

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1400899405125988352?s=19

Love to calmly sit down and simply ride every pure climber in the race off my wheels while being visibly larger than all of them. EPO was badass
Imagine legalizing EPO today with the bikes that exist now instead of ones made from steel.
Assuming the frames could stand the forces, we'd see up-hill races look almost cartoony.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

This response made me laugh:
https://twitter.com/MikeHadley1971/status/1401997004968972288

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:denmark:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In case people are interested, it's a commercial for the Danish broadcast of the Tour De France coverage, and it fits exactly with the gimmick that that show has built up over the years.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Whole lotta non-mask wearing going on.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don't know how Froome is back on his bike, he looked like he couldn't stand.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not gonna lie, I like the idea of Ineos being the underdog.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just had a look at QuickSteps profiles this year, and they look hella strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Smol posted:

Next year Pogacar should ride with me to make it fair
Are you sure you're big enough?