Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Maybe it was part of his escape. Who is this numberless rider? We'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's not very nice.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Just make the Classics part of stage races. Make Paris Roubaix the second to last stage of the Tour. In fact, make everything a stage of one giant race.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Remember when road bikes were pretty

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Aside from the UCI plans, every race is also dependent on national, regional and local regulations. The city of Hamburg for example just cancelled all 2020 races including the Cyclassics. That can happen for every race including individual stages of stage races.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Depends on which races. If the Tour happens, everything else is secondary.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

moctopus posted:

Yes slight downhill 80kph apparently

I think they had that same road in a previous TdP and it’s insane that they’re still having it. Bunch sprint finishes are dangerous to begin with, don’t make them loving downhill.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yeah cycling has very clearly proven that you do not, under any circumstance, want to find out whether everyone in your sport is doping. The only way this happens to another sport is when people are dumb enough to get caught by regular law enforcement. And even then, football is way too big for that. During Operacion Puerto, there were several football clubs on the customer list of Fuentes. He had training data for Barça, Madrid and Valencia laying around. Absolutely nothing happened.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

peanut- posted:

The peloton appears to be having a full day off, 20 minutes behind the slowest forecast already.

Not the worst idea given this first week.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I mean, even with 5000 new cases per day in France, or 35000 per week, that's still just 0.058% of the population. Assuming a completely random distribution the odds of all 176 riders not catching Covid19 in 7 days are 90,2% if may napkin maths didn't betray me. I think the main problem isn't the probability of someone being positive, the problem is the difficulty of it not spreading like a wildfire as soon as it happens.

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 8, 2020

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Oh really? I didn’t know that, when they announced it it was two riders.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

I can't tell if everyone is happy sky have been overthrown now. I mean this is what everyone wanted right?

Yes. In comparison, this is pretty good.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

TobinHatesYou posted:

Liking Trump means he's a terrible person, HTH.

Plus, the majority of the pro cycling audience doesn't live in the US and while supporting Trump might be socially acceptable there, it's does out you as a racist right-wing extremist in the rest of the world.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The monuments are literally 100 years older.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's great to hear! I didn't even know he was racing again.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Jesus, I didn’t expect that at all

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Now that he's bad, all of a sudden I find myself rooting for Chris Froome. My brain is so dumb.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Do you store a giant Toblerone box on your book shelf or is that a book about Toblerone that's shaped like a toblerone box.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

gohuskies posted:

Even big sports - the NFL suspends somebody like 4 to 6 games for a PED violation, that's a total slap on the wrist.

At least the NFL occasionally punishes someone though, my favourite example for wilful ignorance will always be the other kind of football. The most popular and most profitable sport in the world by far, always trying their hardest to not test for anything, literally never catching anyone, their official position is "we never have any positive tests because every single one of the tens of thousands of pro players are just good people who would never do such a thing" and sport journalists all over Europe are like "yeah that sounds completely believable great job another 100% clean year of football".

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I can't find odds for the Vuelta on any of the betting sites so it looks like the bookmakers have no idea either.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I managed to take a picture of Wout attacking on the Waseberg yesterday! Also it is very comforting to see pro cyclists suffering on this loving hill

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

Lmao a day like this and the GC moves by 1 second.

It's the Verdun of cycling.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Do we think Remco has any chance against these guys? Especially if he goes to somewhere like Ineos?

No we don't, but two years ago we all knew that Pogacar would be unbeatable for years.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Is it really 40 mountain points today? There's no double points for the last climb of the stage anymore, is it double points for the souvenir Henri Desgrange now?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

So he really was sick yesterday and still managed to destroy everyone but Vingegaard

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Imagine being this mad

Yeah Pogacar is cool, don't be rear end in a top hat fanboys about him please

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

A bit late now, but I took some pictures at the Cyclassics last week and wanted to share them with the thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

serious gaylord posted:

Crossing my fingers that someone pulls the Movistar lever in the Jumbo team car and they attack each other on the Tourmalet.

Every team should be like Movistar