Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

serious gaylord posted:

This is cyclist brain fyi for our newbie.

Why were the break exhausting themselves so much? Why not cooperate until later? I'm already trying to understand it in the weird logic of the cyclist brain.

Oof, the Puys just came in to view in the distance. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

It's kinda like Ventoux. You spend a lot of time looking at this huge lonely mountain in the distance looking very steep and menacing and impossible to get up.
But lord jesus this one's way scarier!

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Nice road grafitti reflecting in Kwiatkowski's glasses.

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Loved the UnoX space helmet

Punc posted:

Hoping for Kopecky to do a really awesome TT and get on the podium today, would be nice.
:hmmyes:

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Lol at Pogs strava profile pic

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's even funnier that they're protesting road cycling, especially when most of the cars in the service caravan appear to be electric.

I wonder which fine companies are big sponsors of road cycling?

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

RIP Vatican City rider

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Sporza commentators complaining about getting motion sickness watching this circuit :yeshaha:

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

So sad there wasn't one continuous shot from celebration to crash

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Looks like the parcours became a big mud slide :sickos:

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Nice to have Stybar joining in. Very nice to have serious rain.

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Looks like Twitter-user UijtdebroeksFan is going to join that Whatsapp-group.

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Listened to Zonneveld's podcast about Cian, to paraphrase:

A few months ago, Carrera, agent of some other riders (but at that time not Cian), went around offering Uijtdebroeks to other teams. Apparently Ineos or Trek were willing to pay 1M for him. Bora would have really liked this, also to get rid of that annoying rider that was a bit too interested in aerodynamics and eating right and other nerdy poo poo that doesn't matter in pro-cycling.

Cian refused to join Ineos (:hmmyes:), but did want to go to Jumbo. But Jumbo didn't feel like dropping a mil, so they just offered to pay out the rest of his 1 year contract (100k) plus some spare change. Jumbo & Uijtdebroeks & Carrera then went ahead with the transfer, triggering the very angry Bora responses. As they were of course hoping for that sweet sweet million.

Since transfers in cycling apparently aren't really regulated like in other sports, this is a legal grey area and if the two teams are unable to reach an agreement, it will probably be a matter for the courts to decide (WVA still is in a court case about him leaving his team to join Jumbo 4 years ago).
Cian's arguments in court could possibly be that because of the bullying (app-group and whatnot), he is unable to continue working for Bora and thus is legally allowed to terminate his contract.

i dunno dude fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 12, 2023

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I was determined to go to ronde next year but:
1. The tickets for the kwaremont bar were 4x what I thought
2. There's no hotel available within 20miles of oudenaard

Unless something has changed, you can also stand in the field next to the Kwaremont VIP tents with all the other freeloading poors. There's drink and food stands all over and big screens too. And mud.
Last year we stood in a ditch right below the VIP tents. A++, perfect spot, would recommend.

Oudenaarde has good train connections to Ghent, Brussels and Kortrijk fyi.

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

RIP Alaphillipe

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Smirr posted:

Oh my god it was the same guy

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

https://ismilansanremoexcitingyet.com/

YES

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Withnail posted:

Someone told me pog's ftp got 'leaked' and it's 6.5 right now. Anyway that's what someone told me.

So that's like 450W?

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Smirr posted:

I know that the answer is going to be "the detestable Dutch", but who the hell would name their daughter "Puck"?

The weird first names of the Dutch are only surpassed by their clown-rear end last names. Football players Vennegoor of Hesselink and Braafheid spring to mind.

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

serious gaylord posted:

I still cant work out what caused it. There looked like a really weird gutter that maybe they slipped on? Or was it wind causinga touch of wheels?

Even before this crash, sporza reported the organizer of De Ronde removing this part out of this years race at request of the peloton.
Apparently a very fast 80kph descent with a sharp turn into one of the climbs (Kanarieberg), so everybody's hella anxious to try to get to the right position in front. I think it's the same place Girmay crashed last year in the Ronde.

They (same organisers) opted to keep it in Dwars door Vlaanderen, figuring the peloton would be less nervous for this race.

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Rojkir posted:

I'm a big fan of (lower level) pro cyclist and journalist Thijs Zonneveld. He argues in a short podcast today that this sport is killing itself. "What other sport accepts that 3 icons are injured in a big accident?"
Between rants about the execution Arensberg chicane (he favors the idea, it's just the execution that is horrible) he then goes on to suggest some simple speed limiting measures to make it more safe, like mandatory wider tires or tire profile and maybe aero limitations. I think it's quite brilliant because he somehow escapes all our lazy " this is just part of the sport" thoughts.

He's right. Hansen too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i dunno dude
Jun 25, 2023

Looks like 60% of riders in the in the top 5 are French nationals, representing up to 75% of places 2-4!