Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Cav was saying earlier that this year the sprint points are all earlier in the stages, before the big climbs, so they’re more attractive to the big sprinters, so the Sagan / Matthews game is less effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Colbrelli: "Haters abound"
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/colbrelli-suggests-tour-de-france-police-raid-on-bahrain-victorious-was-sparked-by-jealousy/

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Romania kit in the break looks really good

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Bennet 1, Woods 2, Martin 3 for an American Podium sweep.

(Did we all catch that custom Slovakia Derailleur cage on Juraj’s bike just now)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
The grass run-out after the drop looks much steeper from that angle than the broadcast cameras made it look. That course ruled.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Do you think the Bike Exchange PR person just has this text saved in their drafts so they can just copy-paste it? :

https://twitter.com/GreenEDGEteam/status/1427656256060280835

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Turns out if you are running a competitive endeavor you have to come up with a rule set that deals with loopholes and can’t just go: “everybody be cool”, sorry gravel hippies.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Being solo seems like the right move on cobbles this sketchy. You can ride your own line and avoid the slippery stuff

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Vos cringing in pain with cramps walking across the infield while other riders are laid out on the grass.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Why is group 3 10 times filthier than group 2?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Carrefour is going to be nuts

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
My wife and I were standing right across from the restaurant at carrefour during the 2013 race and it was the best wine-from-a-bidon and brie baguette I ever had

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/1451143770452414469?t=4UOTloc4kwIGXrwQ5t3Njg&s=19

:thunk:

Interesting ethically as the riders almost certainly didn't consent to their samples being used for research and this clearly violates any kind of rule around anonymity because it's very clear who the subjects are.

TIZ cycling once again getting hassled by the law.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

bradburypancakes posted:

Does anyone have a good rec or two for history books or memoirs that deal with pro cycling? I got into following this sport during the pandemic and would like to get some better context for why things are done the way they are

Two essentials: “A dog in a hat” by Joe Parkin. Memoirs of an American pro who moved to Belgium in the mid80s and went full native, never had much success, but really cool stories.

“The Rider” by Tim Krabbe. A fictional account of a single road race by a high-level amateur/semi-pro in the Netherlands. Written from the point of view of the racer as he progresses through the single race, what he’s feeling, the random thoughts going through his head, the tactics, musings on cycling history, etc. A wonderful book.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Krabbe also wrote the novel (the golden egg) that the _terrifying_ Dutch movie "The Vanishing" is based on. There is also an american remake of the movie but it sucks.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
People will complain but I enjoy seeing fast courses like this. Sometimes seeing them slog through mud is…a bit of a slog.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
This Clasica Jean is pretty sick so far. Want to ride these roads

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
My nice road bike was stolen in October but insurance gave me a nice chunk to replace it. The only thing locally available with what I wanted (hydro discs, nice wheels, di2) was the 2021 Pinnarello prince my friend was selling, which I bought. So what I’m saying is: Go Ineos, go Magnus, go are Pidcock, go Carapaz.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

bicievino posted:

This but go Top Ganna

Oh yes him too of course. And also king trackie Viviani! What I’m saying is that ineos’ non gc crew is cool 😎

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Kristoff for KBK

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Taco taco taco

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
He doesn't want that kind of Yellow Jersey

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Also it rained like hell and is full of water. Gonna be wild.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

serious gaylord posted:

The UAE team is absolutely loving stacked too. Just 2 absolute units demolishing every stage. 40kph averages, 3 hour stages.

Hopefully some plucky underdogs like Team Ineos or Movistar can do something special

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The briefing is about how the team mates try and look like they're helping

Reminds me of my amateur racing days where we had one "just passing through on my way to the pros" junior racer.

"How can we help you?"
"well if you can stay on my wheel as long as possible it will make it harder for my rival on the other team to come around"
"ok sure..."

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
What a heel Matthieu is

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
In his interview about an hour after the race finished he had clearly gotten a handle on his emotions and said something like: "I think I love this race" He really makes all the GC guys of the past ~20 years or so look like total candy-rear end baby wimps.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Weembles posted:

It's good that he's self aware enough to calm down and get back to work. It's funny how surprising it is to see a well adjusted celebrity.

He really was pissed, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgceBBiG_MI

I don't think it's possible to do all the things necessary to be a top top athlete if you don't get pissed about losing in competition. It's called being competitive! Kudos to him for having the ability to use it to drive himself and see it for what it is, and allow those feelings to pass when their usefulness is finished. For a young person he is quite emotionally intelligent and balanced (probably another necessity to being a top athlete...!)

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Watching 19 year old with 350+ ftp win race on same brand of bike I have: “that’s me.”

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I'm having to watch this with Phil and Bobke commentary and it's so bad I almost want to just turn it off and catch a replay when I get home from vacation. This really really sucks. Tons of ads too!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Now that Cyclingtips, Cyclingnews, and Velonews are all mostly/partially behind the paywall, what's the good place to go to for pro cycling news?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nibbles has announced his retirement

The coolest GC guy in a long time until Pog came around. Won races on all kinds of terrains and situations. A real racer.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Darryl Impey is still racing? Huh.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
UK mens nats RR was a really good race. I love it when bunch sprinters get to ride a race for themselves

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

colonel tom posted:

He said he was targeting this stage in his post-race interview. I guess he opened a cancer research charity today with his girlfriend and she was there along with his whole family to celebrate. Had special shoes on and everything.

Cancer research you say? 🤔 wonder how that mixes with pro cycling

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Big ups to Tha Bob Junglist Massiv

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Internet cycling scientists on Twitter yesterday were saying he missed bottles (due to attacks /no teammates) and ran out of water early yesterday

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Thomas hangs tough the rest of the race, takes 3’ off the final TT, wins yellow, we all boo.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

goatface posted:

He's not been given the option. They printed both upside down so the sponsor's logos would be the right way up.

Maybe it was flipping the sponsor logos that negated the bad 13 luck, and printing it like that sabotaged the magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

“I brought you a bottle, hope you don’t mind a little back-sweat”