Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

The Worlds looked horrific, but I will definitely go watch in person next time there’s something in Yorkshire. Though maybe they should stick to early summer.

Is there a more general cycling thread somewhere in the forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Weak. You’d have thought they’d find sponsors easily, and the budget for the whole shebang would be in easy reach of any random tech mogul in SF.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HappyCamperGL posted:

It's like a specific statute that criminalises WADC violations. So I assume would cover even OTC stuff that's prohibited by WADA.

Isn’t caffeine a controlled substance too though? In my experience France is a lot more lax about prescription drugs than other European countries.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah that'll happen when someone beats the field by four minutes or something.

It’s exactly like when one team has a player sent off early in a big football match. Ruins it, outcome is obvious.

goatface posted:

How does he always get the hair poking out of his helmet so perfectly?

He actually shaves his head every night, but the side effects enhance hair growth…

goatface posted:

They should give Mohoric his TT bike.
Sorry, I’m new to serious Tdf watching:
Do they not all have the same spec TT bike?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Albinator posted:

They all have to be race legal, but they're by no means identical.

Why wouldn’t each team have the best bike they can for every competitor though?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Given how tight it is in most rear hubs I can't imagine getting any sort of decent motor in there.

Someone has already been caught with a stealth eBike in a women’s under 23 race. Battery & mechanism in the seat tube, driving via bottom bracket directly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/35452791

It seems possible given the higher stakes and the number of spare bikes the teams have floating about.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tylertfb posted:

The grass run-out after the drop looks much steeper from that angle than the broadcast cameras made it look. That course ruled.

Yeah, those riders are incredible, and Pidcock especially is so smooth it looked like a monotonous easy singletrack loop from the TV coverage.

Better camera placement would’ve helped a lot.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bud Manstrong posted:

Hey. Go watch the women’s XC replay. It was good as hell. Remarkable ride by a deserving winner on a tough course in challenging conditions.

They put the ramp back in, the one that Van Der Poel thought would be there! Do they think the women can’t do drops?

It really looked like a very different course compared to the men’s race due to weather, looked slightly ridiculous having more than half the field have to get off and push on the first lap.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

peanut- posted:

Nothing says Vuelta like a guy doing an awful cover of Creep with earnest interpretive dance accompaniment to an audience of 12 people (2:18 if the time link doesn't work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNShYX_ykGg#t=138s

This was amazing, and a totally inappropriate song choice for a corporate type event like this. He even sang “loving”, if a bit quiet.

I guess Burgos is the Norwich of Spain.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Watched the highlights, why did Pidcock finish with a leisurely roll over the line after sprinting the first 500 metres?

Told to lift off for some reason?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ineos domestiques aren't supposed to try in TT's

Yeah maybe, but what’s the harm? The lead rider losing face?

wooger fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 15, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Pros will train up to ~150 CTL in the month(s) leading to grand tours, then quickly taper in order to avoid starting with a negative TSB value. By the end of a grand tour, they will be closer to 200 CTL with a TSB of -75 or worse. They literally have no extra fitness or form to waste.

A week of a grand tour can be north of 1800 TSS, aka >257 TSS per day.

My absolute peak in one week of training was 1540 TSS on ~29 hours of riding. It took me 6 months of a steady ramp to do that without hurting myself.

Sorry, what do those acronyms mean?
I get the concept of saving his effort, but it seems pointless to include a top level athlete like Pidcock and not allow him to even try in a hilly time trial.

I guess I don’t see the appeal to Pidcock of going from being a world / Olympic champion in one discipline, to labouring as effectively a cycling butler for someone else who may or may not be as talented.
Just a matter of earning his stripes on the road first?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skarsnik posted:

Pidcock isn't riding tomorrow :saddowns:

Don’t understand, is this injury, team selection or his choice?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

So, for the neutral wheel swaps, have the teams all agreed to use a common disc size / cassette, spacing etc? I bet if a grabbed a wheel off my mates disc bike it wouldn’t just slot in and work acceptably.

Is anyone on rim brakes today?
Are the riders still using their road shoes, or swapped to SPD for the muck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Smirr posted:

They should give a special jersey to PR winners, and it supersedes the European hhampion jersey

It should be solid brown.