Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

drat I love one day races. No prisoners.

Would love a shot of that Ineos rider straddling the drainage ditch if anyone caught it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I didn't catch the name, but the guy that just ate poo poo... Should be glad he had a helmet on.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

TobinHatesYou posted:

That was quite a faceroll. Looks like he hit a bump and didn’t have a good grip on his bars.

I think you're dead-on.

https://streamable.com/a1kz3t

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

This break to stick and Julian to celebrate early and blow it.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Julian rides into a motorbike...

That scream of agony yuck.

Rest in Power Julian.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Here ya go,

https://streamable.com/z5cj5a

Kind of like a Cav style crash. Hidden behind a taller rider.

Edit: He was on his radio!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Today's parcours for the Vuelta look like what happens when I bother recording data for a 20 minute ride to a grocery store and back.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Hope he's ok.

Froome's charity bike looks pretty cool.

About 10-15 minutes ago there was a copter shot of a town and it seemed to have an ugly part that looked like it was recently bombed. It half looked like a muddy farm and half looked like the foundation for a bunch of homes. Not sure if anyone knows what I'm talking about, but I'm curious if it is some memorial or just some ugly poo poo.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Salt evaporation ponds

Ah, thanks!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Froome's cat has its own instagram, https://www.instagram.com/froomecat/

Looking like a fun day at the Vuelta too. Today I hope Kuss takes a stage and one of Roglic or Carapaz crack dramatically. Don't think I'll get either though.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Smirr posted:

I came here to ask if anything exciting happened today, but with 2 new posts, I guess that clears that up

Sprint stage.

There was a crash early on in the race I didn't see and a guy's helmet hit something hard enough to break.

The winner, Bennett, was relegated for something I didn't even see and instead Ackermann gets the win.

:\

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Tomorrow, at least, should be fun!

And at least today's finish is uphill I guess.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

The stage wasn't a ton of fun, but the ending was pretty good.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I got high hopes for today being fun. Cofidis drilling it to pull back the break already is a hell of a start to a stage with a bunch of climbing.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Looks like he was maybe trying to avoid the guy in front of him. Maybe shouldn't have been so close with stuff in his mouth or w/e.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAARGHHHH

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

I know this seems to be mostly the roadie pro cycling thread but the second round of the Portugese World Cup is in a few hours, here's the link.

Road majority or no, thanks for the link. Always be postin' links to bike racing.

And happy Angliru day!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

There is a motor in roglic's rear end.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

Why does this road even exist

Is it not enough that it exists to make us happy?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Watching how slowly they're moving, helicopter shot of how much they have left to climb. Hell yeah.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

goatface posted:

I think they should do it as a downhill start.

When the Tour of Poland just isn't dangerous enough.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I know we joke about Roglic's thiccc rear end, but this moto cameraman has absolutely intentionally zoomed in on it 2-3 times now. Directly behind.

I really want to see how Kuss does as a race leader.

And god drat Carthy....

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I might vomit vicariously through Carthy.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

How do you guys feel about the time trials at grand tours? They can be alright to watch and tell a fun story, but I always think it's kind of a lame way to shake-out the gc. It just doesn't feel like a race to me.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I didn't think I'd be so far out of touch with regards to TT. I don't buy the general rider argument because gc riders don't need to win or do well on sprint stages or punchier classics style stages. The later of which I'd like to see more of overall. Oh well. I'll watch no matter what.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

Not sure I agree. The Tour in particular has been won and lost in the first week on classics style stages multiple times over the last decade.

Though admittedly that has a lot to do with team strength and certain GC riders being protected by world class classics riders while others are left to fend for themselves.

To be open, I've only watched the last 3 years so I'm missing a lot of the history. I'm probably a little out of touch. If you can think of stages or tours that determined/affected the GC in that way I'd be interested just for watching.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

2014 had the York stage and the mini Paris-Roubaix stage where Nibali killed the other GC contenders

2015 had early crosswinds that tore up the GC on stage 2.

2016 had the Sagan/Bodnar/Froome/Thomas break on stage 11.

Thanks a lot!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

peanut- posted:

Ian Stannard has had to retire because of rheumatoid arthritis

Oh man that's a huge bummer :(

This is on my bucket list of ways I want to win a bike race (if I ever do again). It rules so much and is always good for a laugh.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

God dammit. I hope he'll be fine.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I agree.

Here's my suggestion for a mild improvement.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I don't know if I'll be back in time from my ride to see the stage, but it looks close enough and hard enough to make for a battle. Last mountain stage.

I think Roglic should be fine, but there's always talks of him surviving the last week/days of grand tours. I hope it's not just Ineos and EF looking at each other to do something. Who knows.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It's Remco's ketones.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Something is being exchanged via hands. It just looks shady. It could be a personal keepsake. Or it could be a ped or bodily fluid who knows.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Someone suggested it was a disposable mask, but that makes too much sense.

It's probably his good luck charm; a photo of his biggest fan, me.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Has it finally been banned?

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/02/the-uci-is-banning-the-super-tuck/

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Well they're ugly as poo poo which is as good a reason as any to ban something, but to be honest, if you could get in a more aggressive position without sacrificing control I'd like it to be ok.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Jock itch for your fat fat cycling rear end.

moctopus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 14, 2021

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the Basque tour is consistently the best one weeker, love tbis race to death

It's so drat good.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I will cheer for every Slav.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Holy cow that's rad.