Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm sorry for being the bearer of bad news

https://globalnews.ca/news/5969474/lil-nas-x-announces-break-from-music/

quote:

Lil Nas X has revealed that he will be taking a “little time off” from the music industry.

The Panini rapper announced his break in a tweet on Friday afternoon, adding that he would be cancelling two scheduled performances.

Lil Nas X, born Montero Hill, dropped out of both San Diego’s 2019 TwitchCon and Arizona’s Sandbox Music Festival at the last moment, despite being one of the main musical headliners for both events.

“It’s been a wild last seven months,” Hill, 20, wrote on Twitter.

“I love you guys and will make it up to you some way,” he added.

While Lil Nas X did not give an exact reason for his decision to take a break from making music and performing live, he suggested it was because of his busy schedule.

In 2019, the rapper rose to fame after his breakthrough single, Old Town Road, became a viral hit.

Lil Nas X first dropped the horse-ridin’ cowboy anthem last December. It was his fourth independent release overall. Everything prior to the song was released to his YouTube account.

The banjo-sampled trap beat became a phenomenon on TikTok in early 2019, among various other social media apps.

Back in July, it became the longest-running No. 1 song in the history of the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It spent 19 weeks on top before being dethroned by Billie Eilish’s Bad Guy.

READ MORE: Lil Nas X’s ‘Old Town Road’ becomes longest-running No. 1 song on Billboard Hot 100

On June 21, Lil Nas X released his first EP, entitled 7. Last week, it became a certified platinum release in the U.S.

As of this writing, it’s unclear when or if Lil Nas X will return with new music.
What do you think is the reason for the abrupt departure from millions of dollars, he probably was called to do one too many an occult sacrifice by the Hollywood peeps...

Will you cope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
drat all that artistry left on the table

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Adding "Lil" to your name makes you sound lame af. Unless you are a big fat dude. Maybe he is just ashamed of it.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Maybe he decided to take the money and disappear like a bank robber out on old town road?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

When he realised the chorus hook to his post gimmick one hit was "hey panini don't you be a meanie" it dawned on him that maybe rap isn't his real calling now he has the fame to cruise on.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Colonel Cancer posted:

Adding "Lil" to your name makes you sound lame af. Unless you are a big fat dude. Maybe he is just ashamed of it.

What if you're referring to your dick and don't want any confusion?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I won't lie. Old Town Road is a really fun song... but I'm not going to miss this dude who has barely released another decent song ever.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
maybe he isnt an industry plant because an industry plant wouldnt be taking time off.

maybe he finally understood the meaning of this key and peele skit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRdkrDk0BQ0 and doesnt want to be a black country artist.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
what does the X stand for?

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I loved all the song he's famous for.

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
sounds like a storage appliance to me

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I mean if I was a multimillionaire by 20 I’d probably dip out and gently caress off with the money too

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Good for him honestly

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Chinatown posted:

Differentiation from Nas while still not being creative enough to not use the same name as an all time legendary rapper. Not doing so risks legal trouble and beef since it could be argued he was trying to profit by faking a familial tie or protege status to Nas. Even Soulja Boy had to officially go by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em to mitigate issues with much lesser known rapper Soulja Boy of Mo Thugs Family. Also many young rappers names are now literally social media handles they chose as kids, and lil nas without an X was for sure already taken.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chinatown posted:

X performer

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chrs posted:

I mean if I was a multimillionaire by 20 I’d probably dip out and gently caress off with the money too

He stood to make a lot from those two upcoming shows. Why didn't he wait to dip after another easy million(s) pocketed?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Colonel Cancer posted:

There's a dude who's rap name is legit "Lil' Baby" and I can't think of a more bitchmade nickname jfc. wack as gently caress

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Fiona Apple got to him

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Moon Atari posted:

Differentiation from Nas while still not being creative enough to not use the same name as an all time legendary rapper. Not doing so risks legal trouble and beef since it could be argued he was trying to profit by faking a familial tie or protege status to Nas. Even Soulja Boy had to officially go by Soulja Boy Tell 'Em to mitigate issues with much lesser known rapper Soulja Boy of Mo Thugs Family. Also many young rappers names are now literally social media handles they chose as kids, and lil nas without an X was for sure already taken.

ugh shut up Shut Up SHUT UP!!!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Julius CSAR posted:

There's a dude who's rap name is legit "Lil' Baby" and I can't think of a more bitchmade nickname jfc. wack as gently caress

lil baby owns sorry

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
He made a song with da baby called baby lol like come on man how can you hate

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Moon Atari posted:

Also many young rappers names are now literally social media handles they chose as kids, and lil nas without an X was for sure already taken.

lol

Lil Nas XXsephirothXX

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

He made a song with da baby called baby lol like come on man how can you hate

lol that sounds dumb as gently caress

the rap game version of "Bad Company, on Bad Company, by Bad Company"

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
Network-attached storage (NAS) is a file-level (as opposed to block-level) computer data storage server connected to a computer network providing data access to a heterogeneous group of clients. NAS is specialized for serving files either by its hardware, software, or configuration.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Lil Nas XXsephirothXX

XXXtentacion came pretty close to that. They have to stick with their childhood username because they start building their brand reaaaal young in order to become famous as teens, in a rap game that is shifting such that you will have to actually be a teen to hook the tweens and teens that will form your main base, age with you and carry your career.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Moon Atari posted:

XXXtentacion came pretty close to that. They have to stick with their childhood username because they start building their brand reaaaal young in order to become famous as teens, in a rap game that is shifting such that you will have to actually be a teen to hook the tweens and teens that will form your main base, age with you and carry your career.

gotta make sure my juvenile crap is associated with my juvenile crap name

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe he is a really big fan of phantom menace :shrug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
XXXtentacion did get XXXsephiroth'd though

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
DaBaby is good.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Being famous sucks, news at 11.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyway I'm sorry for all the people who went to TwitchCon solely to see ~X_LiL_NaS_X~ and will have to watch people yelling over video games instead.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Oh no I have all these money and women/men, how awful!

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Amicus curiae posted:

What do you think is the reason for the abrupt departure from millions of dollars,

Millions of dollars he'll be owing to Trent Reznor and Fiona Apple... and that's just the ones I know of.

Sample licensing is a bitch.

Amicus curiae
May 31, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Being famous sucks, news at 11.

One can have a lower quality of life than an actor or a famous musician I'm suggesting. He could have left fame forever after he was done touring so what hosed up poo poo did he see or experience I need to know... I wonder if it's related to the sinister Jeff Bezos, who he had been recently pal-ing around with.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Les Os posted:

Fiona Apple got to him

Fiona Apple's after him, and he needs to hide. She's got psycho strength and destroys faucets and door handles on the reg.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
imagine being in debt to the googoo dolls

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dead prez posted:

imagine being in debt to the googoo dolls

Did he really sample from googoo dolls? LOL, Lil Nas X, nooooooo!!!

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Something else to keep in mind: the reason these young rappers all suck at rapping is because they aren't rappers. They are social media stars using quickly produced songs to monetize their followers. Even blindingly white and musically disinclined Logan and Jake Paul have released rap songs. I'll give Old Town Road credit for being an actual song in comparison to stuff by Tekashi6ix9ine (another obvious username lol), but Lil Nas X is absolutely famous by virtue of his talent for social media. He had minor Twitter fame first, then Old Town Road was designed for Tik Tok. It lets people shoot themselves dressed up or acting like cowboys, riding a horse, pretending to ride a horse, riding something else, travelling down a road, comically interacting with old people etc. He then kept it charting by "remixing" it repeatedly with different guests, keeping it talked about and dragging in other fan bases and demographics.

Then, if they get enough fame and they can be arsed to they can buy ghost writers and appear in guest spots with aging rappers looking to get a foot in with the next gen market. That's how this works now, and it's not as if they don't have talent, it's just that their talent is understanding how to manipulate a poo poo world that is too online.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
“For this next song I’m gonna sample the entire discography of Ani DiFranco. Enjoy!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UziocaSimyc