Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I accidentally scheduled my date for getting snipped on my wedding anniversary. :lol:

I mean, it's a pretty good "present" since my wife and I never want to have an infant again (current is 6 weeks old and it is less than fun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I almost got snipped years ago before my son was born because we thought we didn't want children ever..... I showed up for the appointment and changed my mind.

Good thing because I have an awesome son and can't imagine life without him :)

Two is enough for me. I don't foresee any second thoughts happening here.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

AI alcoholics, advise me. I've been drinking 2-3 beers nightly for a while. Like a couple years. I like beer. I thought I'd build up some kind of need for it, but on Tuesday nights this semester, I teach a class that goes until almost 9:00pm. When I get home, I have zero desire for beer. I just drink water and have some foods and go to bed.

Is that normal? Does it take drinking a larger volume on the daily to become dependant? Or am I just not inclined to dependency?

I drink considerably less but I'd consider your condition "adulthood." If you think it's bad, I'd also suggest trying to cut it out for a bit.

Wally Joyner posted:

I sat in and drove a NA Miata for the first time last month and I'm almost set on finding one for ourselves but I'm also having this internal crisis because my love for cars and driving directly conflicts with what I feel about the future w/r/t climate change and my responsibilities. gently caress

I feel you here. It's hitting me too as I've educated myself about it more, especially working in the car industry. I wish I could bike to work and find a job in something to help fight against it rather than contribute to it. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Just drink a big glass of water or two before bed after said beers. I never drink more than a couple and always have water. No issues generally. Yeah, you'll have to piss at 4am but you probably already do anyway. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I don't like vinegar-y sauces. There's a local place that does a "carolina gold" sauce that's this sweet mustard sauce and it's awesome and a new fave. Trader Joe's has something pretty similar to it that I've been using. I don't have a good source for something for brisket, though. And I love me some brisket.

But yeah, good sauces are hard to find. Haven't had too much luck with off the shelf stuff. I've tried making my own a few times and it never turns out that great either. v:v:v

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I hate this thread right now

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Are you planning on buying one?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dealers are terrible snakes. Sadly they're a necessary evil for service, test drives, etc. Just wish they weren't so shady.

Not really sure how it's working out for Tesla, though. Would like to see what the experience there is like despite not wanting their vehicles.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my little one turned 1 today

also we're expecting another in may :toot:

Heh, good luck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beater truck is probably the best useful suggestion. Or buy an old MR2. A 200ish hp miata is fun but it still is a wet noodle (NA/NB at least). I'd want something with a real roof as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

RIP that TT. :(

How are you going to use a cfl when leds exist?

Woo Saturday night, kids in bed, crack open a beer and college football! Weekends with youngins are harder than the work week at times.

Have a good evening and weekend goons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

American customs have... opinions on the import of non-emissions-compliant powertrains for vehicles under 25 years old.

I think an American V8 swapped in would be the best idea, on which basis, you buy one where the engine is already terminal anyway. Then it's just things like the chassis rust to worry about.

I don't think that's a problem honestly. It's entire vehicles that we have a bug up our asses about. There's tons of importers of engines we never had here. There's no inspections, emissions testing, or anything otherwise of vehicles in many states and counties either so they would never know anyway.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Fix it again, Tony.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Nice looking car, Tremek.

Getting snipped today. You done good boys, but your work here is done. :ohdear:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

After getting this stuff out, for the first time in a long time i feel like the worst is truly behind me.

Pretty big of you to air everything out and apologize (not that I thought you needed to, expected it, or anything) in the first place. Depression sucks and puts me in a dark place every now and again, so you're definitely not alone. Glad you're doing something about it and facing it head on.

The world will be in a better place with two V6s crammed into an old land barge, anyway. :glomp:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

UnkleBoB posted:

Hope it went well for you. Mine was ten years ago, and it was one of the best choices I've made. Enjoy resting on the couch for a day or two and be careful not to try moving at normal speed too quickly.

Thanks. :) So far I'd say I'm doing alright. Wasn't really too painful and just kinda feels like I got kicked in the beans and have that ache in the lower part of my abdomen. Otherwise feeling pretty decent.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

STR posted:

I had a random guy in a super nice lifted 4 Runner tell me "Nice Subie dude!" the other day while I was filling up. I had no idea how to respond, but to be fair, he was looking at the good side. I really wanted to ask him WTF he was on, but it does look decent on the driver's side.

Subarus have a cult following that the Saturn Ion did not achieve.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

freelop posted:

Today I ticked off an AI thing on the closest thing I've got to a bucket list
Drove the Amalfi Coast in this:

1970 Alfa Romeo Spider

This rules, you rule.

Rhyno that sounds awful. Hopefully somebody can sort it out. :shepspends:

I think I have finally gotten the garage reconfigured so we can fit two cars in it again for winter. I moved a bunch of poo poo to our small basement and strategically moved other stuff around so there's access to both cars on the sides for getting kids in an out. gently caress scraping frost off windshields, man. We were planning on adding onto the garage this summer with another double deep bay (15x35 so it would have been yuuuge) but after dropping money on the architect, blueprints, etc. I can't justify the final cost. This isn't our forever house so dropping 30-50k that we won't see back when we move in a few years seems silly. Hard truths, but the little garage will have to do for now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd say what are the odds but then I just saw my old WJ while pulling into a parking lot the other day.

I'm guessing the answer is still "you're hosed, mate" but does having evidence of prior knowledge give you any leverage at all?

Sounds like failure to disclose, but I'm not a lawyer. But it's their word vs your plumber fellow and who knows if he wants to get tangled up in that. Maybe a letter from an attorney to them would get them to settle or cover it if your insurance doesn't.

Thread title aneurysm, :lol:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Congratulate me. Yesterday was mine and my wife's 21st anniversary. We lived together for almost 5 years before that, so all tolled, over 25 years of her not killing me in my sleep marital bliss!

No, you congratulate me for 4 years, same day.

Grats dude. :hfive:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

This might possibly be the most boring car pur has in AI, but I bought a new (to me) car! This is the first "nice" car I've ever bought!

2017 Explorer XLT with sport package
Leather and suede seats
Heated steering wheel and seats
29K miles

I'm pretty happy with it!

Dude I drive a van. Your car has a big fuckin' bow on it at least.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Welp, my mom might be actually crazy.

Dangle that carrot, I'll bite

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Autos today are pretty good and I have no shame in driving them for my past couple cars now. Especially now that I don't do any track or spirited driving at all really.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I used to love running but can't do it anymore with my hip replacements. I'm cleared to do so but my piriformis is triggered now if I try.

Shoes and form are key for longevity. Limit impact and look into better form if you want to keep doing it. No judgement in this comment but that isn't a ton of mileage which may be helping you not to be wrecking yourself quickly also.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

So hard to find good help these days. Got a new windshield in the V70R tonight.

They glued the side trim on instead of replacing the clips, so when I replace the clips I'll have to do a bunch of glue cleanup. And there's a big gap on the top of the passenger side where it's not laying on the glass. They didn't clean the dash so it was covered in fine glass dust and some muddy streaks from the removal. And of course, the rain sensor doesn't loving work. Sigh.

I'll give them a chance to fix it before I trash them on google.

Who did you go with? On my V70 (with rain sense) I called Safelite beforehand and told them it worked and don't they loving give it back to me without it working. They took all day to do it but they did a good job on it in the end. I know many of the forums said "go OEM or it will never work again" but I guess I got lucky.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I sleep decently well but keep waking up really loving early and once my mind starts going I might as well get up. 4:30 AM today and started doing poo poo around the house. Not like I'm going to get paid more by going into work early. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 24, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Get mentally ready for the next thing to break. Fuckin' houses.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

This was a bit more than a "oh poo poo, I need some spackle" project

Hope that does it and you can relax for a bit.

I paid about 20k fixing PO gently caress ups too. Right after moving in we found the AC didn't work (entire HVAC system replaced, it was a cluster gently caress) and even now it's just ok. Looked into legal action as well but since he installed it himself without permits (or had somebody do it on the side) the lawyer thought there was some sort of plausible deniability since he also installed it just before summer and possibly hadn't tested it. That was a real pisser.

E: not trying to one up on who's PO was more of a shithead. All of them are and I look forward to the hidden secrets of the next lovely house.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 26, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Counterpoint: Most lawyers you meet are obviously assholes and don't hide the fact while secretly being "libertarians", unlike engineers

Well the first part rings true for engineers too at least.

Source: am rear end in a top hat engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I signed up for them, I dont know if I'll get them all. But tomorrow is 19 straight and I'm still good.

Yikes. 5 is enough of a challenge.