Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
My head is about to loving explode from all of this phone system poo poo holy gently caress.
There are literally 21 pages of just lists of manuals.

Like each line is the name of a manual, there are 100 lines per page and there are 21 pages. I'm sick of just reading through manual names and the one manual I'm looking at now has over 500 pages.

That's a gently caress ton of technical writing, my god.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

Sounds like either an Avaya or a Cisco.

Call routing is haaaaaaaard

call routing is easy actually.

It's NEC SV9500
Avaya is bullshit.
Cisco is actually not bad except they DO NOT play well with anything else.

I personally like Asterisk based stuff but whatever I'm not complaining.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

Ooh, I've never touched a NEC. Seen them in the wild, but never actually worked on one. I work for a multi-vendor VAR with a UC emphasis on Cisco, so in the rare instances that I have to pull up my sleeves and wade into the unified communications swamp, the worst I may have to deal with is UCCX scripting.

Avaya is indeed bullshit. Despite being an Extreme partner, I think we pretty much outright avoid any case where we'd have to touch an Avaya phone system.

They just got bought by Ring Central too so that at least takes them from

to

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meatpimp posted:

I have not been performing to expectations. :(

Edit: AI alcoholics, advise me. I've been drinking 2-3 beers nightly for a while. Like a couple years. I like beer. I thought I'd build up some kind of need for it, but on Tuesday nights this semester, I teach a class that goes until almost 9:00pm. When I get home, I have zero desire for beer. I just drink water and have some foods and go to bed.

Is that normal? Does it take drinking a larger volume on the daily to become dependant? Or am I just not inclined to dependency?

All of that depends entirely on the individual.

I've always had a high tolerance to alcohol/benzos/narcotics. Combine that with an alcoholic father and having to go to AA and outpatient rehab after getting busted with a gram of weed in college (seriously?) and it really makes you consider if you have a problem. At one point they had me convinced I was actually addicted to marijuana which in retrospect is laughable.
Fortunately/unfortunately I've known enough people with real dependency problems to know that I'm not one of them. I just know that I like booze and unfortunately I have to drink a ridiculous amount to get drunk.
I'm finally in a place where I can enjoy alcohol guilt-free for the first time in probably close to a decade, but it took a lot of self-reflection to get there.
It turns out I just have a bad habit of delving headlong into new hobbies, and alcohol just happened to be one of them.

Anywho to answer your question with a question, does your drinking (in any amount) cause any sort of problems with you or those around you? Has it gotten you into trouble? Do you find yourself unable to stop once you've started, or if you're sober do you find yourself thinking about your next drink and how to get it?

A revelation for me was that when I hear the words "open bar" I don't get excited, I usually just think, "drat they've probably only got lovely liquor."

On a much more serious note, I haven't ridden a motorcycle in over a year and really the only thing holding me back at this point is motivation to go buy a new battery.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I will say AA meetings aren't the most terrible places and you get neat little coins to collect, which is cool if you find yourself becoming addicted to coin-collecting like I did.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

:cheers:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Darchangel posted:

Phone systems in general are a shitshow thanks to the truly insane amount of backwards compatibility and 200 years of "standards". I'm watching my co-worker struggle with learning our phone system so the previous phone admin can do more server and network stuff.
We use Avaya, of course.

Ring Central bought who now? We're using both Ring Central and Avaya, and I've not heard of any such thing.
Your infographic is funny, though.

RE: drinking. I like a beer or two some nights, or a glass or shot of something stronger, but most days I don't bother. I will admit that regarding drugs, I was once scared to death I would become addicted to something, so basically never tried anything until relatively recently (weed, in my 40s). Now I want weed to be legal in my state/country, because I know I would most likely be a lot more mellow, lot less angry person.

Hmm I can't seem to find any news articles on it actually, but I thought it was for certain.
I know there was talk of Ring Central and Mitel both making a play to purchase Avaya back in August.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

STR posted:

NEC still exists? :stare:

oh boy do they!

I'm on page 336 of 2314 of this command manual and it's absolutely riveting.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Geoj posted:

I was passed over for a PBX admin role by a hospital using NEC. Sounds like I dodged a bullet.

Uhhhh... yeah.
Healthcare IT? Fuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

I did. That BBQ made me cry because I'm worried I won't ever eat anything that good again.

You won't.

I'm still trying how to figure out an efficient way to catch a flight to Love Field, get a ride to Deep Ellum, buy a suitcase full of BBQ, and get it back to VA with me in under 24 hours.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Looks like Ring Central threw a bunch of cash at Avaya after all.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/04/avaya_grabs_500m_investment_from_ringcentral_to_pay_down_whopping_debts/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Pizza is both a vegetable and a sandwich.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm getting a jump start on spring cleaning.

Wife just sold 3 lamps on Facebook and I'm about to remove anything from the basement that isn't being used and store it in the garage or get rid of it. Basement will be for "gtfo" pile only.
I just put together a second set of those costco shelves and I have to say, they're not as good as the first set.

The Whalen ones were the first set I had:
https://www.costco.com/Whalen-Industrial-Rack%2c-77%e2%80%9dW-x-24%e2%80%9dD-x-72%e2%80%9dH%2c-2-pack.product.100341995.html

They were really good.

These were made by Edsal? and they're a really close knock-off, like almost identical.
They're definitely much thinner metal but they went together a lot easier for some reason. I'm not disappointed but I definitely prefer the Whalen ones I bought.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

toplitzin posted:

Made some twice cooked pork.

That looks fuckin' bangin!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my little one turned 1 today

also we're expecting another in may :toot:

dozer is well

uhhh yeah that just about does it. work has been insanely busy to the point that i dont have time to post much anymore, but im learning a shitload and it looks like i may be heading into a senior role soon enough

It's babies all teh way down

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Been a busy few days. I took off Friday and had Monday off (thanks indigenous peoples) and made a point of not computering and cooking instead.
It was a good weekend.
My loft area got cleaned up and carpet shampooed and it's all gated off so the kid can't destroy everything. It's not a problem when I'm home because I follow her around and we play with stuff together, but when it's just her and her mother, she terrorizes that place.
I cooked ham and bean soup and it turned out loving awesome.
I spent like $700 on groceries. lol whoops.
I smoked a brisket and hosed it up. It was my first time using just wood so I had a hard time holding the temperature. I also made some modifications to my smoker and it apparently changed the way it worked a LOT.
The fuckup came when I went to crutch the brisket. I wrapped it too loosely and it took too long to come up to temp so the bark got all mushy and soft and the meat is basically falling apart. It tastes awesome though so it's not a terrible loss.

Next up is green chicken chili.

Also my Novation Circuit came on Friday but my mailman is either terrible or anti-social. It was supposed to be signed for and both my wife and I were home but he never rang the doorbell. I have a Nest doorbell so even if I didn't hear the chime, my phone would blow the gently caress up until I answered and leave me a notification if I didn't.
I don't even think he knocked because I was like 15ft from the front door when the package was NOT delivered (according to the slip).
Too bad because I would have had a lot of fun loving around with it while I was waiting for the brisket to be done.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Making good ramen on your own is possible, but also a huge pain in the rear end. I've done it a few times then said gently caress that ever again :v:

It's really not that hard though once you get your broth figured out. Just give yourself the time to do it and make big batches.
The day before I want ramen I just roast a whole pork belly (for chashu) and start marinating the eggs (nitamago).
Then I start making the broth. My recipe is a secret, sorry. Apparently so is everyone elses' because it's drat near impossible to find a good recipe on the internet.

Speaking of ramen I'm pretty stoked to toss some of this hosed up brisket in a bowl of ramen. It's such a good combo.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 15, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Ah ee ooh
Killer tofu
Ee ah ee
Ooh ee ooh
Killer tofu

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Goober Peas posted:

Oh eeh ay
Tail Spin
Oh eeh oh
Tail Spin

Duck Tales! whooh ooh
Every day they're out there making
Duck Tales! whooh ooh
Tales of daring do bad and good luck tales! whooh ooh

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I just walked into the bathroom to take a piss and noticed both stalls were shut, it was unreasonably warm and humid, and the air was thick with the aroma of butthole.
So, I said aloud, "mmmmm fresh poop."

Stall #1 immediately farts.
Stall #2 sounds like they're trying to stifle a laugh and then I hear a *PLOP-SPLASH*
Both stalls erupt in laughter.

Poop jokes are never not-funny.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So, a guy I work with lists his preferred pronouns in his signature next to his name.
Is it just me or is that a bit weird? I mean, he very clearly has a guy's name, so does he really need to put (he, him, his) in his signature?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Cage posted:

It normalizes it so that people don't feel singled out doing it themselves when they need to.

Got it. That makes sense. I was worried that he might be doing it ironically to be a giant douche.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I made cupcakes.

They were terrible.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Did you put weed in them?

No, thank GOD. Because that would be miserable trying to ingest that much sugar just trying to get high.
But there's weed in the rice krispies treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

very.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 30, 2019