Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AI does tend to be well behaved but no one probated at all? That's hard to believe.

Yeah, it doesn't have me either, and I drop one every couple months in GWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1179404384326836224

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This absolutly does not not compute...? Steak sangas are awesone

Steak sandwiches are good if you thinly slice the steak before it goes on the bun. If you just slap a hunk of steak on there you end up having to gnaw on it too much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Wait what if it's in a bun its a burger. And big fuckoff steaks need need big fuckoff bread slices. With beetroot. And bacon. And real cheese.

With chips covered in chicken salt

Bullshit. Rare top sir, sliced thin, in a hard roll with sauteed onions and mushrooms. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Its their gimmick and they own it. And have some pretty enjoyable songs.

They're also that kind of military nerd who completely buys the "clean whermacht" propaganda the SS veterans pushed to try and get out from under their own guilt.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

They have a bunch of songs praising the resistance movements in various countries.

Yeah, and an ode to how cool the Bismarck was. A ship that had one offensive operation, got a lucky shot off against an aging HMS Hood that caused her magazines to detonate, then was run down and pounded into scrap and scuttled after her steering was crippled by a biplane torpedo bomber. In 1941.

All in total the ship was in commission nine months and three days.

They do a lot of this, glorifying war without any consideration to the context it happens in, and it comes down to making excuses for how cool the armies were even if they were used to commit atrocities on civilians.

I'm pretty sensitive to this because it comes up all the time in miniature wargaming from people who argue about liking the Wehrmacht 'aesthetic', but then quietly start putting out feelers to see if the group will put up with them being more and more openly bootlicking fash. So I may be reading into it too much, but I'm far from the only one.

Edit to add: Doesn't help that they keep 'mysteriously' taking gigs from far right groups, like the concert in Crimea for the Night Wolves bike club in Crimea.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 9, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I wish I knew how to express that to my boss. I'm managing two shifts right now and am completely out of fucks after trying to give good leadership across 1pm to 8am.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

Regarding burnout:
Before I worked at my current job (internal medicine) I spent two summers in psychiatry and had the fortune to work with a neuropsychiatrist. This meant that I, among other patients, saw my fair share of people that had "burned out". It's really scary. If you are unlucky you will be at such a reduced level of functioning that you can be unable to even walk into a grocery store. It should be taken very seriously, which is why I was surprised (or to be honest, not a all surprised) that in countries like the US, it's not even a medical problem but a workplace related problem. Scary to think how much life must suck for burnout paitients in the US.

I didn't notice until it started hurting my work, but now that I look back on it I haven't left the house more than a dozen times this year for anything but work.

Its October.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Its completely insidious too isnt it- You dont realise it at the time but it just creeps up on you.

Throw a physical injury in on top of it and its a whooooole barrel of laughs too- I've severely strained my left Rotor Cuff from my job, despite me reporting it to my manager MULTIPLE times that the workloads were way too much, despite everyone else who's done the part of the job that i've taken over all carrying some form of back or shoulder injury, despite them having FOUR risk assessments on the task that all say "The risk of pyhsical injury is very high due to the nature of the work and must be undertaken by two staff to reduce the risk" they kept telling me that there was no way to get someone else to help me until welp, shoulder let go.

Now I'm facing 6+ months of physical therapy, plus meds to try and get it back to being fully functional, and im stuck in working somewhere that obviously doesn't give a flying gently caress about employee welfare in a job thats NOTHING like what the advertisement made it out to be. Its perfect weather to do poo poo around the house and I cant do diddly gently caress that involves two arms, and if I do poo poo that involves just one, like starting to paint my workshop walls, it wrecks me harder than a pack hike. Its physically painful and mentally destructive- its triggered my depression hard, which manifests in me being narky and negative. Which I got talked to at work about too, so that was fun.

I'm on annual leave at the moment and I had to physically force myself to leave the house this morning to run errands, because otherwise I'd just hide at home all day. Im not even AT work, and havent been for two weeks, and its still messing with my head.

Hope your shoulder heals up well! I'm trying to arrange to talk to a professional, because I'm about to go into 'LC doesn't see the sun for three months' winter and I'm not sure I'll be able to keep my job if I don't get my head on square before the seasonal sadbrains kick in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Impact wrenches are the single greatest convenience tool you can possibly buy. Outside of a bucket of 10mm sockets and a bendy socket extension.

* Impact rated 10mm sockets

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Impact rated? You keep them long enough to be concerned about breakage?

Nah, but you only need one that'll go on the ugga dugga and can't find anything but the chinesium ones once before it gets annoying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C1z1MtHAU4

Binky!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm still not sure what the purpose a HOA actually is? From what I've gathered here in AI a HOAs main mission is to make everyone miserable?

In theory, to maintain amenities like greenspace and communal infrastructure. Developers start them to in practice control who they let buy into the development, and once the developer fucks off they become a method of old assholes dictating how their neighbors live and worshiping at the altar of 'keeping up property values'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tremek posted:

2019, I’m tired of your poo poo:

Currently sitting in the ER after duly following a recommendation of the tri-county health board that I get a rabies vaccination after getting bitten by a monkey in a monkey sanctuary in the Dominican Republic on Tuesday.

Worth doing.

Rabies isn't common, but once you show symptoms there isn't any loving thing they can do to stop it killing you, and it hurts the whole time you're dying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I would love to only drive three pedals, but I also have a hosed up left knee and ankle, so there's times when that would mean not driving. Screw that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CornHolio posted:

How do you guys have such bad knees/ankles? It's making me kind of worried that I'm gonna be next.

Like Dagen said, don't be a heavy bastard, although I wrecked mine with sports poo poo long before I broke 300.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 23, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

T-Square posted:

Anybody try doing any of that aged eggnog business? Venturing into Goons With Spoons AKA The Sub Forum is bad for me. Most of the recipes there involve a trifecta of rum, bourbon, and cognac and I'm absolutely not dropping like $90 on booze to make a batch. Can I just do rum?

The different alcohols really make it. You could do straight rum, but it won't be nearly as good. Just buy small bottles and not handles or use well liquors.

Also, fresh grate your nutmeg. Whole different flavor.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 24, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meltie posted:

Considering the conversation about burnout ITT; take as much time off as you can 😣

This is really good advice. I have a week off coming up next month and this thread reminded me why I needed it, because I absolutely did not want to come in today.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awful. The worst part is that you can't do anything about crashes like that, they just happen to you, and then you're not the same forever. I hope everything goes back to normal for you as quickly as possible!

On my part, I was working late in the lab, thought I had turned off a high voltage power supply, went to reconnect a wire (that I thought was dead, and obviously wasn't), and POP!

Not quite a 10kV transmission line, but it was an 1100VDC power supply. Only missed one day of work due to mandatory hold at the hospital, so it could have been a lot worse.

I had the logger running, due to the experiment I was attempting, so I know the peak current was 2.6A :v:

That's, uh, a lot.

My saving grace was that I was leaning against a grounded piece of the machine, so the current entered my hand via the allen wrench I was holding, and exited the same hand into ground.

Talk about "what should have killed you;" over 180 joules was delivered by the power supply over the duration! :science:

Man, I would print out that logger result and frame it. That's a hell of a break.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's two types of people in the world, those who look at their parents' careers and decide to do the same thing, and those who look at their parents' careers and say "jesus christ gently caress no"

i am the latter, for sure. parents are teacher/public school administrator and a physical therapist. i am a filthy strategy consultant

My dad was a Teamster.

I touch computers for a living now. He was very happy I made that choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

For the last year I've only been maintaining and not really making progress, hopefully I will get back into it soon. Third shift is killer on health and fitness.

This is so true.

Visited my doc for a checkup and left with an extra hole in my nose yesterday. They take moles changing color seriously these days.