Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Congratulations on your non-problem? Reality check: You probably have a higher tolerance than you realize and that is due to your consumption. If you really wanna know if you have a dependency or not, try to not drink tomorrow night or the night after as well.

I drink a 2-6 a night most nights. Haven't had a single one tonight. Had two last night, four the night before. I'm off tomorrow, maybe I should do some drinking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Cereal is a sandwich if you wait long enough but not too long.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Pretty sure the one true chili uses kidney beans finger tips friend

I had to correct this glaring error.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I use Ryobi battery operated tools for work and they are hot garbage. Of them, the worst is the hammer drill, which is not well put together (example: the mode selector switch is supposed to slide back and forth and instead it keeps trying to rotate and binds up), and has a really awful chuck that will over-tighten itself on 1/4" shank bits to the point you need a pair of channel locks just for the extra leverage to make it turn but then also never stay tight when you run anything 3/8s or larger shank. I've been through two of them in 3 months and both have had the same issues.

They don't even remotely come close to the quality of my Makita tools.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Impact rated? You keep them long enough to be concerned about breakage?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Hooray for turkey day. Happy Thanksgiving.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Or hand back control to people who can do imperialism competently.

You want to bring back the empire? And exactly what about the last three years would you define as competent?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Me , her Maj, and no-one in Westminster.

I'm all for bringing back the empire, just no monarchy, and no current politicians from any extant government.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My dad bought an upper-level trim 1500 about a month ago and I still can't get over how not-GM the headlights look.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Rhyno, to echo a lot of the others here, welcome to the joys of home ownership.

Here's some of the things that have happened to me since I became a homeowner:

This is a shot of about half of my back yard, I actually own up to about 2' from the corner of the back of the house in the picture and the chain link fence cut my back yard in half.

All those cedar and maple trees to the left are growing along a fence that is basically the property line that my neighbours to the back and on that side (I actually have 5 neighbouring lots bordering mine) have treated like a garabage dump for literally decades. That's why the chain link fence cut my back yard in half, to keep my dogs out of the trash back there. Around the time of the picture I had finally gotten them to stop dumping with a little help from a local yokel cop that was kind enough to explain to them what survey stakes actually look like and where the property line actually was.

Anyways, about three years ago I cut down the dead, dying, and otherwise lovely looking cedars. which was a marked improvement. I took the cedars down myself because they were basically poles and i could fall them into my back yard without any issue due to them all leaning in that way in the first place.

This was followed the maples being cut down by a tree service because most happened to be leaning over one of three other properties depending on their location, including three overhanging the roof of the house behind me.

Then that area got largely ignored by me because ya'll might remember how I've changed jobs a few times in the past year and a half and money and time were tight for awhile while I worked on other things. A couple months ago I finally got back to it. Since then I've paid the same tree service to grind up the stumps, borrowed my dad's small tractor and 5' wide tiller, re-located the chain link fence by rotating it 90*, built a privacy fence along the back property line, and picked up a bunch of garbage. Interesting finds were two hubcaps from a late 30s or early 40s Dodge DeSoto, an entire yagi tv antenna with bakelite fittings, and 3' of rebar, none of which the tiller enjoyed running over.

So now we have the present, note the second raised bed garden that is missing in the past pictures. I put it in this Spring thinking I wouldn't move the fence for awhile yet still and so now I get to move that garden next year along with the other one.

Lots of work left to go back there though, the picket fence is right on my neighbour's side of the property line and since we do not get along at all I am pretty sure he won't go splits with me on replacing it with a 6' privacy fence that's dead on the line so I'm just gonna build a privacy fence right up against it, probably next year now since I'm onto a somewhat more important project atm.

Anyways, let's go back in time, to when the cedars came down. I hated my front gardens, they were overgrown, and the one on the west side of the porch was basically just one giant pine shrub that occupied basically most of the area pictured. I don't have a "before" for this one, but here's how it looked after the shrub came out and I started working on it.

A couple days later.

I'm not gonna share a current picture of it because it's pretty overgrown with weeds atm (I kinda ignored it while busy with the back yard). Like everything else it's a work in progress.

Other projects include adding joist hangers to all the floor joists for my main floor because most had split due to lax building standards circa 1909 allowing lap joints onto beams. These are special hangers that are an actual 2" wide because the framing for my house is all rough cut hardwood. I had to special order them, and I had to buy an entire carton. This was a few years ago now.

This is the joist under my fridge, I will admit, I have done nothing about it and it's the only part of the joist project that never got completed. I still don't know how the gently caress I fix this that doesn't involve just outright replacement because sistering is not feasible. The hangers I installed are to prevent this from happening to the other joists.

This poo poo's changed too, I ripped out the walks and repaved last year, no current pictures, but believe me when I say it looks different now that there's not broken and narrow chunks of concrete pretending to be a walkway.

Mid-pave shot, note that the stairs are level and straight now.

Right now I'm replacing a substantial portion of my back deck because I put my foot through a deck board a couple months ago and then the stairs leading to my driveway disintegrated while I was going down them a few weeks ago. This is why I'm not doing the last bit of fencing in the back yard yet, too busy going full Ken on my deck's stairs.

Anyways, those are some of my adventures in home ownership.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What they don't mention is the 0.01% survivors end up having a significant brain damage.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I have and use three. Google knows how often I fart and when I jerk off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Go with a led bulb, that way it inevitably ends up brighter than everything else.