Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Go Yankees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Btw for those of us with news and views about teams that are NOT in the playoffs - do we normally have a separate, concurrent offseason thread or does that go here? I can't remember, sorry.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pancakes posted:

Is Steve Rogers pro-bat flip or anti-bat flip?

Can’t lift Mjolnir if you’re anti-batflip.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

GalacticAcid posted:

Btw for those of us with news and views about teams that are NOT in the playoffs - do we normally have a separate, concurrent offseason thread or does that go here? I can't remember, sorry.

I'd be down for a general offseason/breakdown/grading our bad teams thread

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
god dammit i hate having playoff/non playoff threads

hate it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My rankings:

1) Astros
2) Braves
3) Twins
4) As
5) Rays
6) Nationals
7) Brewers (without Braun)
---------
gently caress you tier:
Yankees, Cardinals, Brewers (with Braun)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

My rankings:

1) Astros
2) Braves
3) Twins
4) As
5) Rays
6) Nationals
7) Brewers (without Braun)
---------
gently caress you tier:
Yankees, Cardinals, Brewers (with Braun)

:mmmhmm:

Not gonna lie I would love an Astros/Brewers WS so that time travelers from 1996 would be super confused when the Astros home games have a DH.

But also gently caress Ryan Braun

e: oh and Dodgers I guess 8th on that list since in spite of what they showed in 2017 they are a team

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Is someone doing the "Donate to charity based on playoff events" thread again this year? Why yes, yes I am looking directly at you Pancakes.

And to give back to the thread that gives me so much, I'll run a contest! Winner will receive a new title (for themselves or anyone they choose) or archives or whatever other goofy forum thing they want. The contest is to guess how many playoff wins *and* how many injuries the Yankees will have in the 2019 post-season. Tie-breaker will be whoever was closest by wins (so if somebody picked 6 wins, 2 injuries, someone else 5 wins 3 injuries and it was 6 wins, 3 injuries, the person who got the wins right wins!) and if there are other tie-breakers, I will let randomness choose. Here's my guess (I can't win, obviously) for quoting:

code:
Lumpy's Terrible Contest Entry:

Yankees Wins: 6
Yankees Injuries: 2

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dodgers vs A's world series let's loving go, West Coast Best Coast.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

As for Castellanos his defense is hilariously bad, and sticking him in an OF with Schwarber LF and Heyward CF might be one of the worst defensive OF's in baseball, if not the worst. It can sort of play in Wrigley since the OF is so small, but good luck taking that on the road. .

I'd just like to point out that the outfield at Wrigley is not actually that small. Remember it has the deepest corners in all of baseball. Left center is slightly shorter than a lot of parks, but right center is right in the middle of all the parks and the wells also help make up that space.

I can't post the image right now but look up "MLB stadium dimensions comparison" and the first image should be show all the stadium outlines overlaid on each other, although the image is several years old by now.

Edit - the outfield just seems small because there is no foul ground.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Jason Kendall apparently wants to be the Pirates manager, which would be loving hilarious. He's basically the person that everyone thinks Clint Hurdle is. Hahah.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
(And no, I wouldn't support this. He helped Giles and Mike Williams gang up on Jack Wilson when Wilson was a rookie. Just inexcusable and appalling bullying.)

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Is this where I can scream "FIRE KAPLER" or do I need to respectfully wait until the Athletics win the World Series?

Kapler should have been fired after opening day last year, so scream away.

Also,
https://twitter.com/gilbert_j_pru/status/1178779515692158978?s=20

(this meme requires the Braves to actually win a game of course)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Don't the Braves have the best record in baseball since Memorial day

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LOL imagine being a Yankee fan and hating the Dodgers. “Oh noooo, we’ve beaten you in the World Series 8 of 11 times, I hate you so much!!”

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

The 80s never happened

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh badtimes are forgotten memories.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Regarding that article about the Cubs, bear in mind that it was written by Phil Rogers, who is both a complete and utter hack, and a huge White Sox homer.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

zoux posted:

Don't the Braves have the best record in baseball since Memorial day

They just got swept by the Mets let me have this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Playoffs: We're all Cubsposting now

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

zoux posted:

Well, somebody has to pick up the slack :colbert:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You call this Cubs posting? No one has even called for their team to be disbanded and the stadium to be bulldozed because they failed to score with RISP.

Amateurs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

god dammit i hate having playoff/non playoff threads

hate it

there's a non-playoffs thread? :confused:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
So what's the Manfred nightmare World Series? Rays/Brewers? Or would A's/Brewers be worse for ratings?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe the A's have fans.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
nats

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LLW902/status/1179095132035002368

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

So what's the Manfred nightmare World Series? Rays/Brewers? Or would A's/Brewers be worse for ratings?

Twins/Brewers most likely.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Conversely, the Manfred wet dream is obviously Yankees/Dodgers.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

zoux posted:

Give me a few and I'll make the GDT

EDIT!: But I'm saving that slogan for the World Series thread

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 1, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dougherty_jesse/status/1179023673828806658?s=21

Lol

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I do not care about matchups or rooting order at this point. I want to see a godamn Dodgers championship so I can enjoy postseason baseball again.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Lumpy posted:

Is someone doing the "Donate to charity based on playoff events" thread again this year? Why yes, yes I am looking directly at you Pancakes.

And to give back to the thread that gives me so much, I'll run a contest! Winner will receive a new title (for themselves or anyone they choose) or archives or whatever other goofy forum thing they want. The contest is to guess how many playoff wins *and* how many injuries the Yankees will have in the 2019 post-season. Tie-breaker will be whoever was closest by wins (so if somebody picked 6 wins, 2 injuries, someone else 5 wins 3 injuries and it was 6 wins, 3 injuries, the person who got the wins right wins!) and if there are other tie-breakers, I will let randomness choose. Here's my guess (I can't win, obviously) for quoting:

code:
Lumpy's Terrible Contest Entry:

Yankees Wins: 6
Yankees Injuries: 2

Work is swamping me right now, if anyone else wants to take over for this year they have my wholehearted endorsement.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Nobody deserves a title more than this Dodgers squad and I will probably be actually rooting for them to take it all but chaosball doesn't care about :airquote: narratives :airquote:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I will be carefully scrutinizing the last few months of N/V threads.

I will decide who to root for based on which team's posters disagree with me least often.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1178737593208508417

quote:

2) Do teams that hit a ton of home runs fare worse in October?

No. Next question.

OK, fine. This is a myth that simply won't seem to die, that the only way to win in October is to sacrifice-bunt-and-productive-out your way to a title. That's not really true. As James Smyth, a researcher on Yankees television broadcasts, eloquently put it, the primary driver of this seems to be that "'small ball' is considered a more virtuous way to play." That's well stated. It may be what you want to see, but it's not how winning teams succeed. As Rustin Dodd investigated in The Athletic recently, this falsehood has been floating around for literally decades.

It's not true, however, and the reasons why are relatively simple to understand. It basically comes down to these three points, the same points that have been noted for years and years:

• Scoring decreases in October. (We explained why here on Friday; basically, October baseball is tilted toward pitchers, thanks to days off and other factors.)

• Home runs drop at a lower rate than scoring. Smyth already did the research on this last spring, so let's just pay his good work forward. From 1995 through 2018, playoff teams saw their runs per game drop by 16% from the regular season, from 4.94 to 4.17 but their home runs per game dropped by only 8%, from 1.15 to 1.06. And that means that ...

• Each home run carries a greater impact. Exactly. The percentage of runs scored by playoff teams in the regular season on homers is 31%, but in the postseason, it's about 35%. Home runs happen less and matter more.

Intuitively, this makes sense. You might be able to string a rally together against lesser pitchers. You're not doing it against higher-caliber arms with the benefit of extra October days off and better defenses behind them. Justin Verlander has allowed only 64 singles in 33 starts. Good luck with that.

We can see the real-world impact of all of this over the last few years. As you'd expect, teams that out-homer their opponents tend to win more games. That effect doesn't drop in October. It gets higher.

What happens when teams out-homer their opponents?

2018: .774 winning percentage in regular season / .826 in postseason (19-4)

Wild Card era (1995-): .747 in regular season / .756 in postseason

Divisional era (1969-): .734 in regular season / .775 in postseason

"Home runs count as runs, it has never in history been less likely to score runs via the single, and pitching and defense get better in October. If you hit them, you're more likely to win." It need not be more complicated than that.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I just want the Astros to get swept out of the division series. :pray: If that happens I'd be OK with pretty much anything, even the Dodgers winning it all.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The Pussy Boss posted:

I just want the Astros to get swept out of the division series. :pray: If that happens I'd be OK with pretty much anything, even the Dodgers winning it all.

Interesting - where's the anti-Astros animus come from?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Jason Kendall apparently wants to be the Pirates manager, which would be loving hilarious. He's basically the person that everyone thinks Clint Hurdle is. Hahah.

On the plus side he looks like the pirates logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

Interesting - where's the anti-Astros animus come from?

They're becoming the Golden State Warriors of MLB, complete with sportswriters jacking off about how they're on a different level from everyone else.

The best thing was when they traded for Aaron Sanchez and he was part of that combined no-hitter. Everyone talking about how they "fixed" him when he'd been on the team for like 3 days. Then he got shelled in his next start :lol: